“German-ish deli stuff”

Cuisines: Delicatessen, German
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Reviewed 19 September 2017

Went with the pork schnitzel sandwich with a side of split pea soup. The schnitzel was good, lettuce was green 'n fresh. Really good with the spicy house mustard, better with the jaegerschnitzel gravy. Thought the split pea soup was a little bland, but dosed it with a bit more of the house mustard, and that perked it right up.

Reviewed 18 September 2017

Nice old booths in a very old building. You felt like you were eating in the early part of the 20th century. We had breakfast here so did not get to experience the "German" part of the deli.
My wife had the breakfast sandwich and the croissant was wonderful. I had the breakfast tacos which were ok. Service was a little slow but we were not in a hurry. A good breakfast in an area where there are limited breakfast options.

Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

Sure this restaurant has been around for a 100 years but I wouldn't return. Service was very slow. We did not get all of our order (hot pretzels and mustard did not make it to the table. Waitress said they were still cooking them and when had finished our meals. It was ordered as an appetizer) and waited nearly 15 minutes for the check after we requested it. My husband missed his meeting because of the slow service. The food was ok, nothing special. It was definitely affordable which was a plus. Can't say I would be too happy if I got a $50 ticket. People were lined down the street to get in here. I don't get it. I don't recommend this restaurant. There are plenty of other places to eat in San Antonio.

Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

We found Schilo's yesterday morning for breakfast and it was very good. I got scrambled eggs and a brat. My wife got the pancakes and we split them.
Food was great and reasonably priced.
We are back again this morning. Sometimes you just have to stick with what you know is good.
This place is celebrating 100 years. The building is so cool.

Reviewed 16 September 2017

Always bustling but easy to get seated and waited on quickly. Whatever you have among the many great German options, be sure to add a cup of their legendary split pea soup. Lots of good, cold beer options...but if you not having a beer, do the next best thing and try their house made root beer. It's great.

Been to Schilo's Delicatessen? Share your experiences!