“Authentic San Antonio that you won't like”
Review of Blanco Cafe - CLOSED

Blanco Cafe
Neighbourhood: North Central
Neighbourhood: North Central
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Alright here is the deal. There are now FOUR, count em FOUR Blanco Cafe's in San Antonio. Two of them, one downtown and one by the medical center, are called The Original Blanco Cafe. Neither of those two, by the way, are the original location. That location is still open at 1720 North Blanco, but it is apparently not that hot anymore. This location, sometimes called Blanco Cafe #2, is very different from any of the other three and is one of my favorite places to eat in the world.

Why? Because the cheese enchilada plate is made in the authentic San Antonio style that I grew up with as a boy. But beware, you may not like it because the sauce is very heavy. It almost certainly has manteca, lard, in it. It is not something I would eat every day. But I come here every time I am in San Antonio because the food is made in the authentic local style I grew up with.

Warning number two. This is a working class place where working class people eat. Many times when I recommend places like this on Tripadvisor people don't like them. Many people say they want authentic restaurants, when what they really want is a tourist restaurant that seems authentic. That's not what this is. The location is in a strip mall and the decor is from nothing. But the food, and the people, are authentic, and the service is excellent.

One final note, many of the other reviews posted here are in fact of the other Blanco Cafe's. This one is hard to find, but definitely worth it if you want to find out what real San Antonio Mexican food tastes like. Leave your pretensions in the parking lot.

1  Thank DharmaBumSLC

Reviewed 20 March 2014

In San Antonio for meeting and did not like what I saw on the plates of customers at the restaurants along the river. When I related my dilemma to the bellman at the hotel he said the most authentic Mexican food you can get in town is Blanco Cafe. Little bit of an extra walk(maybe three blocks). I tend to stay away from restaurant chicken enchiladas because they add too much cheese to please the non native but these were very good. The red sauce was very flavorful and for a little more sabor I but the salsa verde from the jar on every table to the rice and beans. You will not get a wait person in costume making you guac at table side, and you may have to ask for a refill but worth the walk

Reviewed 13 March 2014

As a native San Antonian, I've been eating here on occasion. Used to be very good - not now. No complimentary chips and salsa! Whoever heard of a Mexican restaurant doing this? The waitress forgot to refill my tea too. The food was okay, but my wife's soft taco fell apart and had to be eaten with a fork. The prices were nothing to brag about either. I asked the cashier if this restaurant was still owned by the same people, she said yes - hard to believe. Looks like they're living off the old reputation and trying to close down from lack of biz -- not that many people there after 1pm.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I've been going to this place for 10+ years. With that said, they used to be a lot better. The enchiladas themselves are smaller and not as filled with cheese. The rice and beans are the same and delicious. They've been voted best enchiladas in SA and I would agree. I haven't found any better but I wish they were as big as they used to be and as cheap. The cheese enchilada plate used to be $4.95 and now it's $6.95, but it is so worth it. I will also go to this place. The one thing I did not like is that most mexican restaurants in town offer free chips and salsa as soon you sit down. It's customary but Blanco charges and the salsa is chunky and hardly a salsa.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Great breakfast and lunch specials. Real Tex-Mex in a family cafe. Service terrific, food yummy!! Super clean, lots of locals eat here. Tourists welcome and treated like family.