“What a find! TexMex at its best!”
Review of Blanco Cafe - CLOSED

Blanco Cafe
Neighbourhood: North Central
Neighbourhood: North Central
Reviewed 21 November 2014

I've been reading about this place since my first bite! The tacos were amazing. I was in San Antonio for 4 days and went here 3 times! Yes, it was that good. I went for lunch twice and breakfast once. Loved it every time.

Reviewed 4 November 2014

This restaurant is near the corner of N. St Mary's and Travis, downtown. I was staying at the Hotel Indigo Riverwalk and someone at the front desk recommended this restaurant when I asked for "authentic Mexican food". It was packed when I went mid-week at lunch. Banners displaying "Voted Best Enchiladas" were hanging from the ceiling. I got a combo plate and wished I had ordered a dozen cheese enchiladas. OMG....the enchiladas were just fabulous. They are made with their homemade corn tortillas, a bit thicker than most I've had, and the melted cheeses and chili gravy were sublime....just perfect, and not sitting in a puddle of grease. Definitely worth a trip!!

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Alright here is the deal. There are now FOUR, count em FOUR Blanco Cafe's in San Antonio. Two of them, one downtown and one by the medical center, are called The Original Blanco Cafe. Neither of those two, by the way, are the original location. That location is still open at 1720 North Blanco, but it is apparently not that hot anymore. This location, sometimes called Blanco Cafe #2, is very different from any of the other three and is one of my favorite places to eat in the world.

Why? Because the cheese enchilada plate is made in the authentic San Antonio style that I grew up with as a boy. But beware, you may not like it because the sauce is very heavy. It almost certainly has manteca, lard, in it. It is not something I would eat every day. But I come here every time I am in San Antonio because the food is made in the authentic local style I grew up with.

Warning number two. This is a working class place where working class people eat. Many times when I recommend places like this on Tripadvisor people don't like them. Many people say they want authentic restaurants, when what they really want is a tourist restaurant that seems authentic. That's not what this is. The location is in a strip mall and the decor is from nothing. But the food, and the people, are authentic, and the service is excellent.

One final note, many of the other reviews posted here are in fact of the other Blanco Cafe's. This one is hard to find, but definitely worth it if you want to find out what real San Antonio Mexican food tastes like. Leave your pretensions in the parking lot.

1  Thank DharmaBumSLC
Reviewed 20 March 2014

In San Antonio for meeting and did not like what I saw on the plates of customers at the restaurants along the river. When I related my dilemma to the bellman at the hotel he said the most authentic Mexican food you can get in town is Blanco Cafe. Little bit of an extra walk(maybe three blocks). I tend to stay away from restaurant chicken enchiladas because they add too much cheese to please the non native but these were very good. The red sauce was very flavorful and for a little more sabor I but the salsa verde from the jar on every table to the rice and beans. You will not get a wait person in costume making you guac at table side, and you may have to ask for a refill but worth the walk

Reviewed 13 March 2014

As a native San Antonian, I've been eating here on occasion. Used to be very good - not now. No complimentary chips and salsa! Whoever heard of a Mexican restaurant doing this? The waitress forgot to refill my tea too. The food was okay, but my wife's soft taco fell apart and had to be eaten with a fork. The prices were nothing to brag about either. I asked the cashier if this restaurant was still owned by the same people, she said yes - hard to believe. Looks like they're living off the old reputation and trying to close down from lack of biz -- not that many people there after 1pm.