“Authentic Breakfast”

Blanco Cafe
Neighbourhood: North Central
Neighbourhood: North Central
Reviewed 31 December 2014 via mobile

We ate here for breakfast after being directed here by the bellhop at our hotel. It was one block away and fantastic! The eggs were terrific and the green chile sauce was
so good.
The servers here are very friendly and all smiles.
Husband said that if he worked in this downtown area, they would know him by first name in no time.

Reviewed 16 December 2014

This place has been in business for a very long time. In a city that prides itself for excellent Mexican food I'm sorry to say this just wasn't worth a repeat visit.

Reviewed 21 November 2014

I've been reading about this place since my first bite! The tacos were amazing. I was in San Antonio for 4 days and went here 3 times! Yes, it was that good. I went for lunch twice and breakfast once. Loved it every time.

Reviewed 4 November 2014

This restaurant is near the corner of N. St Mary's and Travis, downtown. I was staying at the Hotel Indigo Riverwalk and someone at the front desk recommended this restaurant when I asked for "authentic Mexican food". It was packed when I went mid-week at lunch. Banners displaying "Voted Best Enchiladas" were hanging from the ceiling. I got a combo plate and wished I had ordered a dozen cheese enchiladas. OMG....the enchiladas were just fabulous. They are made with their homemade corn tortillas, a bit thicker than most I've had, and the melted cheeses and chili gravy were sublime....just perfect, and not sitting in a puddle of grease. Definitely worth a trip!!

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Alright here is the deal. There are now FOUR, count em FOUR Blanco Cafe's in San Antonio. Two of them, one downtown and one by the medical center, are called The Original Blanco Cafe. Neither of those two, by the way, are the original location. That location is still open at 1720 North Blanco, but it is apparently not that hot anymore. This location, sometimes called Blanco Cafe #2, is very different from any of the other three and is one of my favorite places to eat in the world.

Why? Because the cheese enchilada plate is made in the authentic San Antonio style that I grew up with as a boy. But beware, you may not like it because the sauce is very heavy. It almost certainly has manteca, lard, in it. It is not something I would eat every day. But I come here every time I am in San Antonio because the food is made in the authentic local style I grew up with.

Warning number two. This is a working class place where working class people eat. Many times when I recommend places like this on Tripadvisor people don't like them. Many people say they want authentic restaurants, when what they really want is a tourist restaurant that seems authentic. That's not what this is. The location is in a strip mall and the decor is from nothing. But the food, and the people, are authentic, and the service is excellent.

One final note, many of the other reviews posted here are in fact of the other Blanco Cafe's. This one is hard to find, but definitely worth it if you want to find out what real San Antonio Mexican food tastes like. Leave your pretensions in the parking lot.

1  Thank DharmaBumSLC