“Wonderful Converted Bank Building to Hotel - Great Place to Stay”

Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio Riverwalk
Ranked #10 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Stayed here for 10 days in February; first as part of a Road Scholar group, then on my own. I love this place.

The Drury Plaza (its one block from the Drury Inn & Suites) is located right on the RiverWalk (great) and is the old, historic Alamo National Bank, converted into lovely rooms. The lobby (a typical old, ornate bank loby with a large stained glass window and art deco design) is stunning! Also, the ceiling is painted in gold leaf with very art deco lighting! It is a pleasure to absorb the unique atmosphere here! You also have to visit the bank vault and memorabilia down in the lower level also. The safety deposit section is still part of a working bank (JPMorgan Chase), but there is a large, old huge vault.

Although the rooms are modern, south-western style decorated, the hallways are classic marble floors and walls of office buildings built in the period. It is wonderful that the Drury preserved all the classic style while ensuring the rooms have modern comfort.

As I booked the cheapest room available, I didn't have much of a view even though I was on the 16th floor. The room itself was very good, spacious, modern, bright and very clean, with a good desk set-up and a large comfy chair. My room was on the 16th floor; I didn't hear any noises from the street or in the hotel. My room was right next to the ice machine; I was concerned that it would be noisy, but the room was really sound-proof. The bathroom was huge; I really appreciated the abundance of counter space by the sink. My room had both a fridge and a microwave with was very convenient. Bed was very comfortable, and there was an abundance of pillows. Linens were looked brand new and were very soft. My room was great! I slept well everynight and would definitely stay here again.

Housekeeping was great; my only complaint is that sometimes it was very late in the day. My housekeeper did a great job, but she definitely seemed overworked as I saw her wokring early in the morning as I was leaving, but she normally did not get to my area until after 4pm.

One of the great features of the Drury is the heated, outdoor pool and two hot tubs on the rooftop (23rd floor). Although the weather was chilly while I was there, the pool (and hot tubs) were so well-heated (and very clean) that I enjoyed both. It was incredible swimming and looking down on the city. Towels were plentiful, and everything was just perfect. There was also an indoor pool and indoor hot tub, which I didn't utilize since the outside one was well-heated -- perfect temperature!

One of the bennefits of staying here is their free breakfast in the morning and free hot foods and beverages (including wine, beer and mixed drinks) in the evening. Breakfast was great; real china and silverware, and good choices. The pancakes and scrambled eggs are tasty and freshly made; you can watch the cook prepare these. There are all the usual choices, including cereal, fruit, bagels (very good), toast and some only so-so breakfast pastries. The only disappointment at breakfast is that there was sauasage patties and biscuits & gravy, but my favorite (bacon) was not available. Because breakfast is offered for 3 or 4 hours, the crowds were generally pretty modest.

The evening dinner, however, was very, very crowded. Dinning and drinking is limited to about two hours (from 5:30 pm to slightly after 7 pm). Free food and drinks encourages a massive crowd. Frequently, I resorted to taking my food and drink back to the room as there was not enough places to sit. In spite of this negative, I enjoyed the foods --- the choices varied somewhat each night, but ususally included a tossed salad, macaaroni, baked potatoes with all the fixings, hot dogs, chilli, nachoes and all the fixings. Some nights there were other items, such as chicken nuggets, etc. The quality of the food was very good, and the staff worked hard to keep the buffet filled. The only thing missing was any type of dessert or sweet. You could make a meal of this or just an appetizer before going out on River Walk The only downside was (unlike breakfast) this was on plastic plates and plastic silverware, but that enabled you to easily carry items back to your room.

Each night you received three free alcoholic drinks, plus as much soda pop, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, etc. that you wanted. To control the drinks, you hade to have your card marked each time. Some nights the line became a bit long for the drinks. On the positive, I was amazed that the mixed drinks were not weak pours, but average to slightly strong. The house wine was also good. One hint - you can request all three drinks at one time so that you don't have to spend as much time standing in line. The bartenders will either pour in glass or plastic with lids to transport.

In addition to dinner and drinks, from 3 pm to late (after 11 pm), there is free soda pop and free popcorn available. This was great!

Overall this was great. The only negatives are that this is a big hotel and it gets very crowded at times. Two nights while I was staying, there was a large group of cheerleaders staying here. The staff did everything possible to control the crowds, but it was a little bit of a hassle. Fortunately, there are a lot of elevators here.

I definitely recommend this place as it was convenient, impressive, great value and a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
9  Thank CynthiafromOhio2011
There are newer reviews for Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio Riverwalk

Reviewed 7 March 2012

My husband and I stayed there from a Thursday to a Monday. I would recommend this hotel especially for people with children. The room was small, but very clean. The housekeeping staff did a thourough job every morning. We really saved alot of money not needing to eat out three meals a day. We ate breakfast every morning, there is a nice variety of food. the pancakes were delicious. We usually ate a small lunch out on the RiverWalk. we made sure we were back for the evening snack, which we made a dinner out of it. The baked potatoes were freshly baked. If you are looking for gourmet meals, this is not the place. But all the extras you receive at no cost to you is worth the stay. My husband loved the nightly popcorn and the three free drinks (wine, mixed drinks & etc,) per guest. We did not encounter any bug problems. The sheets had a fresh clean smell. Everyon was friendly and attentive to our needs. The location was in a convenient area, close to every tourist destitnation. I would defiitely stay here, if you want clean rooms. And if you definitely want to save some money on meals.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floors and away from the elevators !!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank BEV G
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We had a room on the 17th floor and heard all the noise from the streets below very clear. But the WORST was the bedbug infestation. I always check my sheets before getting into bed but noticed nothing...in the morning my kids noticed something on them pulled sheets back to see bed bugs of all sizes run like roaches!!! Called the manager who moved us to another room and gave us the entire weekend for free but I can never stay again after what I saw!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank Wende M
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2012

As you may know the problem of bed bugs is quite prevalent in many facilities and settings. Recent news information indicates they are being found regularly in apartments, homes, hospitals, college dorms, hotels, and even retail stores. In the case of hotels, bed bugs can affect any hotel whether it’s a 1 star or 5 star hotel; the quality or tier level of the hotel chain has no direct bearing on whether a hotel can be affected by bed bugs or not. The true quality of the hotel is in how they respond when concerns are brought to their attention.

Drury Hotels takes this and other guest related issues very seriously. We have special training for all employees to inspect for and recognize any insect/bed bug issue. Additionally, we have regularly scheduled inspections by an outside exterminator at every hotel within our system.

We have had our programs reviewed by outside parties who are experts in this area and they have indicated that our programs are some of the most proactive and detailed that they have seen.

We have had the room you stayed in inspected and the professionals found no bed bug activity.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us.

Reviewed 3 March 2012

We stayed six nights here in one of the deluxe king rooms on the 11th floor. Our view was pretty good overlooking the city. Our room was very adequate, clean, comfortable bed, nice linens. We took advantage of the bountiful breakfast each morning and also enjoyed the evening snacks although be prepared for large crowds! They also have free soda and fresh popcorn which we enjoyed as a late night snack. All Drury employees were friendly including the housekeepers, security officers, breakfast servers and desk personnel. Take the elevator down to the Riverwalk and enjoy the busy loop as well as the new extensions to the Riverwalk. I printed our boarding passes from the computer located in the business center at no cost. We loved sitting on the 22nd floor pool/lounge area at night with our drinks. The city lights were beautiful. I would recommend Drury Plaza and would stay here again if we return to San Antonio for a few days of fun and relaxation.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank HawkeyesfromWI
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Great stay in a historic and architecturally interesting building in the heart of the city. San Antonio is a wonderful city and this lodging facility puts you close to all that the downtown and marvelous riverwalk has to offer. The hotel staff was welcoming and arrival was seamless from the valet to the front desk. The rooms (we had two) on the 14th floor of the Tower building were large, clean and comfortable. The views off the balcony were spectacular of the downtown. The bed in our king two room suite was one of the best night sleeps ever. Breakfast was good on both mornings. We only had the evening drinks on the day of arrival because of so many other options close by. Zach and Courtney at the front desk had good recommendations for things to do and restaurant reservations. We had a slight problem with the TV in the bedroom but a call to the front desk had their maintenance man Zane up there in a heartbeat. He fixed it in short order and when I asked how he did that he said he was a magician. Being a New York magician I can assure you this is one secret I will share. The Drury Plaza Hotel Riverwalk is a magical place. You will enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: Looking toward the Historic Cathedral.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple