“Kickback and Enjoy!”

Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio Riverwalk
Ranked #9 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 3 December 2012

Their slogan "where the extras aren't extra" is a promise they keep. Staying here made our trip so much more enjoyable, relaxing and affordable. We were there Thanksgiving week and the breakfast and Kick Back meals were very well attended and with good reason. They do a good job of keeping the selections fresh and replenished. The selections do not vary much day to day but it was enough food that eating out at restaurants was not even necessary. It is true what everyone says that each adult receives 3 drinks each day at Kick Back. Nice touch while traveling. They have a very nice pool on the roof with 2 jacuzzi hot tubs. It is a beautiful old building and the service is friendly and attentive. The location is central, on the Riverwalk and walking distance to the Alamo. We would definitely stay here again if ever visiting San Antonio or the Riverwalk.

Room Tip: If you want a view, choose a room on the highest floors. The elevators are very quick and available...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jems1999

Reviewed 3 December 2012

Caveat -- I've gotten very used to saying in Hotels that are suite-based (Homestead Suites, Residence Inns, etc.). Walking into the lobby, the hotel was very impressive, historical (they've kept the original lobby of the bank). The staff at the hotel were very accomodating, and when I asked for an upgrade to a room with a jacuzzi, they did have one available -- it was no problem and no extra charge! Off to the room, and this is when things started to go a little downhill. When I got to the room, it was VERY small, and dark and dreary. The bathroom was OK, but even with a jacuzzi tub it was only average. I really like it when the bath area is divided into two parts -- so you can have privacy in the bathroom and still have an area with sinks and counter to dry your hair etc. Also, the jacuzzi looked clean, but felt like it needed a scrubbing.

I went back down to the desk (very apologetically), and thanked them for the jacuzzi tub but asked that, instead, since I was used to having more room, was it possible to have a suite instead? I even said I didn't care if I had to pay a little more. Once again, no problem, they had one available, and no extra charge! Up to the suite we went....

....and walked into a very small suite with the faint smell of smoke. We sat around for awhile, trying to decide just how much of a pain we were going to be if we asked to be switched again. Finally decided that it wasn't too bad and instead of asking to switch, just notified the desk about the smell (there was a sign that indicated a $250.00 cleaning fee if you smoked in the room). They sent someone to "Febreeze" the room and it helped a little. I don't think anyone had smoked recently, it was more that at one time in the distant past it had been a smoking room. After awhile you didn't notice it so much. It was also very small for a "suite" -- just one bathroom area, very small living room with couch and sofa, and the bedroom. And old....old carpet, old furniture, and rather dark. But clean.

The free breakfast was delicious (love those southern biscuits) and the happy hour was also substantial (not food I would eat, but for families it would feed the kids).

The other REALLY nice thing about the hotel was the rooftop patio, rooftop pool and jacuzzis (2 of them). We didn't have much time to enjoy, but I would have loved to bring a bottle of wine up to the patio and relax. Great view, nice breeze. Also right on the Riverwalk, close to great restaurants, and very convenient. Staff was always friendly and helpful. Even the parking charge (rather substantial at 19.00 a day) didn't bother us -- it was nice to have the service and not have to park your own car.

We were on the 21st floor. Corner room, faced riverwalk and city. No noise that bothered me (keep in mind, you ARE in the middle of a busy city). I do sleep with earplugs :-)

To sum up, the pros outweighed the cons of the small room. The staff did everything they could to make our stay wonderful. The only thing that will give this hotel a five star rating is a complete renovation to modernize the rooms, If I had more time to enjoy the amenities (the rooftop area and the cocktail hour), I would stay here again.

Hope this helps!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank marieco12
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2012

Thank you so much for the kind words regarding out hotel. We are very proud of our historic hotel and work very hard to exceed expectations. We certainly appreciate hearing that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do have many different types of rooms and layouts because of the historical nature of the building. Unfortunately we do not have typical two room suites because of the limitations of the building. Thanks again for sharing your experience with us!

James Robbins

Reviewed 3 December 2012

What a nice hotel! The building was an old bank, and it's history is captured in exhibits located on the ground floor (you can even see the old vault!). The lobby is a grand image of the past, with beautiful stained glass windows and original marble flooring. Our rooms (a suite), were well-appointed and spacious (two full beds + sleep sofa), with flat screen TV's in each area. Rooms were spotlessly clean, and maids were attentive to our needs. Excellent hot breakfast and evening social hour with complimentary drinks and buffet with enough food to make a meal (great for family with kids). All this was served on the mezzanine, overlooking the lobby. Convenient access to the Riverwalk, just walk out the ground floor and you're there. Nice indoor pool with spa. Valet parking with free in/out. We'll be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room on lower floor.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank TexasTerry317
Reviewed 2 December 2012

We wanted a nice hotel on the San Antonio Riverwalk to go to the Mariachi competition. I chose the Drurys Plaza for the extra perks of "kick back" in the evening and the hot breakfast in the morning. This extra makes it very inexpensive for a night's stay. You only need to buy a lunch when staying here. The service was great as they all make you feel like they care about your stay. Then to be right on the Riverwalk was great. The 15th floor terrace is great to relax and look over down town San Antonio

Room Tip: The 9th floor pool is a good spot to relax and sit on the terrace and view the city or go to the sec...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2012

Anyone complaining about this hotel must be accustomed to 5-star, first class hotels and should not even be considering the Drury hotel chain. I am very critical and not overly impressed with hotel stays. HOWEVER, the Drury Plaza Riverwalk was fantastic. Rooms very nice and clean (actually felt like I could walk barefoot in my room w/o risk of the cooties), Large, beautiful lobby with multiple plush seating areas to chill (I read quite often in the lobby and was never distracted or uncomfortable), very, very friendly accommodating employees and great hot breakfast and snacks/drinks in the evening with plenty of tables and space. The 3 free cocktails were a Great Bonus. And 3 nights of 6 we didn't even eat out at a restaurant for dinner - snacks were enough (hotdogs, vegetable tray, salad, chicken fingers, baked potatoes, chips). Wonderful location on the riverwalk - all restaurants and even the Alamo/mall within easy walking distance for myself (45yrs) and my Mom (70yrs). I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting San Antonio who want a great hotel that should be at 4 stars in my opinion but value priced.

Room Tip: Any room above the 10th floor. Business area with lots of traffic, shuttle buses.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family