New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Holiday Inn Riverwalk

Holiday Inn Riverwalk
Ranked #23 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Hernando, Mississippi
“Good value on the Riverwalk”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

wanted to stay on the Riverwalk and thereby avoid having to renta a car but did not want to pay an arm and a leg. Found this hotel to be clean, convenient and with very courteous staff. We only ate one meal in the hotel and that was lunch the day we departed, food was pretty good and service was excellent. Would stay here again

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Arabic first
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

Our young family recently stayed at this Holiday Inn for four nights. My overall impression was that clearly you are paying for the location. Granted, we knew we were staying at the cheapest hotel on the Riverwalk, and so I am only supplying this review to be helpful. The location is great. It's close to everything and it is nice to be able to walk everywhere.

The staff was fine, although not overly friendly or helpful. A few days before we arrived, I called ahead to ask about breakfast- was there a continental breakfast? The person on the phone said "Yes, there's breakfast" and nothing more. The first morning we discovered we should have been more specific with our inquiry because of course they had breakfast: in the overpriced and expensive onsite restaurant. That was disappointing to me because I feel like the front desk had been deceptive when I had called- of course all hotels will have some way to get food, but when a guest calls ahead to ask about a continental breakfast it should be assumed the guest means complimentary. By the way, the breakfast was terrible and the service even worse.

With regards to the room, it was noisy and uncomfortable. We could hear random banging during the day, and at night not much noise from the city was insulated out. Our kids slept on the sofa bed, but even our six-year-old could tell the mattress was bad. It gave her a backache and she ended up sleeping on the cushions instead! I laid down on it once, and I could literally feel the coils digging into my back. The King bed was better, but still not a great mattress.

We had a suite, which had a fridge and sink but not a microwave. A little disappointing.

Lastly, from all appearances the room looked clean, but my children and I woke up with pink eye one morning. Whether it was from the linens or the hot tub I do not know.

And a word about parking: it costs $20/day to park in the hotel garage AND you must PREPAY, but what they don't tell you is that the hotel will let anyone park there, not just hotel guests. Well, the garage is not that huge and there were several times at the end of the day when we would drive back to the hotel, ready to just get into our room and relax and find that there were NO parking spots available! We were told by the valet that we would have to circle around and around and wait until someone left the garage. It's unacceptable to not only pay ahead of time but to be treated that way as the hotel's guest.

Like I said, this is the cheapest hotel on the Riverwalk, and if you're willing to overlook a lot of things, then stay there.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Dave J
Avoca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

Great Location,Great staff.We arrived late and the parking garage was full and the girl behind the desk went up and moved her car so I had a place to park. The room was very clean. The bed was wonderful. All staff were great. i was dissappointed in the internet speed and TV . I would stay there again .

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank geoah54
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

Room was nice and well taken care of except for the TV's and a heat pump. Our suite had two TV's that pixelated every so offen because of poor cable or dish antenna connections/problems or just poor electronics. The remote control for one set had a broken battery cover. The electronics in the room need to be looked at and they were reported to the desk.

In the bedroom the heat pump wasn't "pumping" much heat although that could have been an "operator error." (One of us likes it "cooler" the other "hotter"!)

This was just an overnight stop and we thought the Riverwalk would be a nice place to revisit. But, the weather turned rainy and somewhat cold.
We arrived in late afternoon and found a "Joe's Crabshack" on the Riverwalk. Great fish dinners (and crabs, etc...) We recommend the "Crabshack." The restaurant in the hotel was fine except we had to "ask" to be served; it wasn't that busy and the food was acceptable for a breakfast.

Personnel were very friendly and helpful in giving directions, telling us about the comps and other things. Will stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask about the rooms. Check heating/AC and electronics ASAP. Overlooking the Riverwalk are best for l...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

I just got back from a week in San Antonio for a big tradeshow. Our company stayed at Holiday Inn, Riverwalk, San Antonio.

I had to go straight to the convention center from the airport upon arrival, so on my way to the hotel I was able to walk along the Riverwalk... So beautiful! The Hotel is conveniently located right on the Riverwalk and they have a rear entrance (with elevator access) directly from the Riverwalk. You could even take a $5 river taxi to the hotel!

Checkin was easy and I went straight up to my room. I started unpacking and began ironing my dress shirts. One shirt in the iron snagged on the front section of my shirt and ended up burning/melting the material and ripping it! I was so upset. My favorite work shirt -- ruined by a crappy iron :( The hotel manager was happy to send up a new iron (immediately) and offered to comp continental breakfast for the week or add points (enough for one-night stay at some locations) to my Holiday Inn Account. I opted for points. There was some confusion the next day when I stopped by the front desk to collect written security that the points should appear in my account--the currently manager "had no idea" who I had spoken to the day before. After getting up to my room, I got a phone call and they had figured it out and assured me the points would appear in the next few business days.

Kinda of a hassle, but they were trying.

THe last day of my stay, my roommate woke up with three little bites on her ankle. She was convinced we had bed bugs so we ripped apart the linens and mattress pad and inspected the mattress and box spring. I couldn't find any definitive proof, but I did find some water damage on the bed skirt with mildew growing -- likely the explanation for my sniffles every morning.

Not a terrible stay, but I had moments where I wished we had booked with a different hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business