All reviewssconessister hotelhard boiled eggsyogurtcontinental breakfaststreet noiseshared bathroomprovide ear plugshotel providedloading dockdelivery truckslopez suitedirect tvprivate bathnice breakfastboutique hoteltwo blocks
Reviewed 10 October 2017

This was such a great place to stay! We stayed over Memorial Day weekend for 2 nights. It was such a quaint and adorable boutique hotel located right in the middle of the Friday Harbor "downtown". I specifically remember that the bed and covers were super comfortable. We had a room without and en suite bathroom, so we had to leave our room and go down stairs to use the bathrooms. We knew this ahead of time, and I picked it solely on the price difference and figured we could do that for 2 nights. We never saw anyone else using these shared bathrooms, but I did have a run-in with someone in the middle of the night when I came downstairs and it's always weird to run into someone in your pjs, especially a stranger! But luckily it appeared we were both half asleep so we sort of just sleep walked past each other in the hallway.

We loved that they had access to bikes, but we used them to go a ways around the island, and they really are tough on the hills because they have no gears, but we toughed it out and it was great to be able to see more of the island without the car. The breakfast was perfectly adequate and the scones are delicious, as mentioned in just about every single review!

I mentioned the noise because it seemed the bar across the street was the only thing opened late and everyone in town was there until about 2 in the morning on Sunday night, granted it was Memorial day weekend so Monday was a holiday, but it was tough getting to sleep. We liked having the windows open to hear the nice sea breeze, but even when we closed them you could hear the music and conversations pretty loudly.

The only reason I gave 4 stars is because the first day we got there, we were exhausted and decided to take a quick afternoon nap. About 20 minutes in we hear knock at the door, and when we didn't answer right away, someone walked in and it was the front desk. The people who had checked out before we got there wanted to come in and look for a phone they thought they had left. So we both groggily rolled out of bed to start looking and then all of a sudden a stranger pushes in past the staff and starts looking through our stuff. They didn't find it, and the staff felt really bad about it, she kept mouthing "I'm so sorry", but it was still a little bit weird and inconsiderate. She did leave us a little gift of some chocolate and snacks later that day which was appreciated. I know this is an isolated incident, and we just got unlucky with this incident. I would imagine this type of thing is a rarity anywhere really, but wanted to explain why we didn't have a 5 star experience.

A recommended location if you travel to Friday Harbor, just bring some earplugs just in case!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emily R
EarthboxLaura, Manager at Bird Rock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2017

Hi Emily,

Thank you so much for your visit and for taking the time to write about your stay. We are so happy you loved our place and had a great time on the island. We are so sorry about the incident after your check-in. We addressed it and we'll handle situations like that better in the future. Thank you so much for your understanding. Please come back soon.

Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

Darling little boutique hotel in the heart of Friday Harbor. Entered the lobby to the aroma of coffee... felt like coming home. Rooms are small but everything one needs. Lovely bathroom (and quite spacious).

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
EarthboxLaura, Manager at Bird Rock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2017

Hi Michelle,

Thank you so much. Our coffee is from San Juan Coffee Roasting Company down by the ferry. They also sell hand made truffles and local ice cream. Dangerous place;)
Come back "home" soon, yes?

Reviewed 13 September 2017

Yes, delicious lemonade and yummy cookies are waiting for you in the lobby when you check-in. And yes, the scones served as part of the continental breakfast are absolutely scrumptious. Yet these are the kinds of special touches I expect to see when I’m paying $350 for a two-bedroom suite.

What was missing from my stay at Bird Rock Inn was a good night’s sleep. While the room was comfortable and clean (although nothing special for the price point), a noisy business next door began rumbling metal carts across the sidewalk at 4:30 am. I was awake for at least an hour (probably longer) and not able to catch up on my missed shut-eye as I was meeting friends to begin a 3-day kayak trip early that morning.

While the Inn thoughtfully provides ear plugs, they don’t mention why. By the time I got up to shut my window and put the plugs in, I was wide awake and found it difficult to fall asleep again.

If you don’t care about noisy neighbors (some of you may be able to sleep through anything) and want a downtown location close to the ferry, Bird Rock Inn could be a good pick for you.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
EarthboxLaura, Manager at Bird Rock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2017

Hi ShelleyInTO,

Ach, I'm so sorry. There is nothing like sleep deprivation and all that before a kayak trip. I'm so sorry. We try so hard to let our guests know about potential noise from our business neighbors by mentioning it in our confirmation letter and our guest directory. We try so hard to communicate with our neighbors about the fact that our guests need their sleep. Believe me, we have asked nicely, begged, bribed and even yelled. We put up a sign in the grocer's parking lot to remind the delivery guys. Thank you for reminding us, that it's time to do it all again. I want to say: it's not always like that. But that doesn't make your experience any better. Next time you are in town, please stay with us at our sister hotel,the Earthbox Inn & Spa. It's a little bit further from the center of town and quieter there. We would love to have you!

Reviewed 29 August 2017

I would have loved to give this place a 5+ rating but...
Pros: Staff was exceptional! Very helpful and friendly. Bed was amazingly comfortable. Linens high quality. Kitchenette fully equipped and ready to cook up any meal you'd like. Very clean and well appointed. Nice balcony with views. Located right in town. Breakfast was good. Cookies and lemonade in the evening - yummy!
Cons: You are located right in the downtown area and it is SO NOISY all hours of the night and early AM. Live concert till 2AM then the garbage truck at 4:30! Delivery trucks coming and going not to mention you are on the main road for the ferry queue. Parking is a problem as well. You have to be prepared to move your vehicle every 2-4 hours depending where you are parked or park at their sister hotel. Also noticed that there was no seating in the room if you cooked up a meal : (
I would recommend staying in a room on the opposite side of the main road.
Should be aware that there is no elevator and there are 3 stories.

Room Tip: Away from the main street
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
EarthboxLaura, Manager at Bird Rock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2017

Hi Sandi,

Thank you so much for your visit and to let us know about your stay. We love that you liked our place, staff and amenities. We are so sorry about the noise. How frustrating. Please come join us some time in the shoulder or off season when it's calm and quiet or check out our sister hotel, the Earthbox Inn & Spa, with rooms away from the main road. We can't wait to have you back.

Reviewed 28 August 2017

We stayed in the Lopez Suite at the Bird Rock. Plenty of room, including a large jacuzzi tub which was nice, but it was very warm and we needed to keep several fans running. The bed was really comfy, but the neighborhood is a bit noisy late at night and early in the morning...the hotel provides several pairs of earplugs. Our room was also REALLY light so we didn't get a great night's sleep. On the plus side, it's a good location and the staff were very helpful and friendly. There are also bikes that guests can borrow to pedal around the island a bit (although there are a lot of hills!). The room also came with an expanded continental breakfast, which was nice.

Room Tip: Lopez Suite is very bright and a bit noisy - I'd try the other side, not on the street
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Hi Leslie,

Thank you so much for your visit and your feedback. We are so happy you had a great time and will take your suggestions into account. We can't wait to have you come visit again soon.