“Fair Food But Lovely Setting”

Backdoor Kitchen & Catering
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 13 July 2018

Just off the ferry, we got to the restaurant late but were seated pretty quickly for a Saturday night outside under a heater. The staff is quite nice but the food is average. They try hard but fail on quality. I had the pork chop which was not half as good as Ruby Tuesday which is half the price. My wife had the scallops which were tasteless. We would NOT return.

Reviewed 2 July 2018 via mobile

Went here with my wife, older son and older cousins. Totally superb place that’s well above any of the waterfront options that were tempting us. Small, intimate, classy with spectacular food and superior service. Had the Cod and fresh corn soup appetizer and chocolate dessert. Wine list is excellent and so is the ambience. Close to town and a rare gem. Made our night and among one of my best restaurant finds.

Reviewed 29 June 2018

Made a last minute reservation and they place us in a cozy corner in the bar. Nice a quiet not like most bars with other folks having dinner. The oysters bake their own version of Oysters Rockefeller was excellent. Not heaving at all. The corn soup was cooked with coconut milk and tomato. Was really tasting. The market fish was halibut served with corn and a bit of red peppers served with pea pods and carrots. It was fantastic. The fish was cooked perfectly. The warm bread was also excellent. My only complaint is the wines by the glass are very limited.

Reviewed 19 June 2018

Backdoor Kitchen is consistently excellent. It doesn't look like much from the parking lot, but once you get through the gate you're in a lovely garden. If it's warm enough you can sit outside. It's very casual and intimate, great place for a romantic date. The servers are friendly, there hasn't been anything on the menu I've tried that hasn't been pretty much perfect. The scallops on rice cakes are one of the better dishes anywhere. They will accommodate people who need gluten-free.

Reviewed 29 May 2018

A few years ago, I tried my first Backdoor Kitchen noodle bowl lunch - which they do every Monday for most of the year. I have to say, I was so enchanted with it, it's become a staple of my existence, and I look forward to having their noodle bowl every single Monday! They have pork, chicken, tofu, and a variety of seasonal seafood. I absolutely love the flavors they develop in the grilled meat, and the sauce is so good I practically lick the bowl dry.

1  Thank sjislandwanderer