“off night for chef and co.?”
Review of Jinja Bar & Bistro

Jinja Bar & Bistro
Ranked #120 of 578 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Price range: US$12 - US$19
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Jinja is a sleek yet casual local spot serving Pan Asian dishes. Has a full bar with an extensive cocktail menu which features Pre-Prohibition & Tiki style drinks. Affordable Kid friendly menu is available.
Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

I visit Santa Fe often and there are many wonderful places to eat. Jinja Bistro has been for several years, a favorite of ours for Asian flare. Dropped in today for an early dinner, hostess and wait staff were attentive and in good spirits. Calamari, Pot Stickers, and Seared Ahi tasted great. However, Shakin Beef, a usually wonderful dish, was not so good. The tenderloin was not tender, onions not caramelized, and sauce was just plain blah. Maybe it was just a off evening for the chef & company.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

Recently stayed in Santa Fe and ate a several different restaurants. I have already given them excellent reviews but this restaurant does not deserve it. Service was good but our server had all the food brought out at the same time so obviously the main course got cold. Not really an issue if the food tasted good. It did not. The only good things were the egg rolls but the rest of the meal was awful. Needed more water to drink but neither the server or anyone else around so I finally went to the bar to get more water to drink. Overall a very poor meal. I would strongly advise not to eat here.

1  Thank Jim S
Reviewed 3 September 2017

We went to Jinja on the spur of the moment for dinner last Friday evening around 5:30. No trouble getting a quiet booth and the ambiance is nice.

Service was so-so. The waitstaff was young and not polished. For example, we placed our drink order and then were asked twice if we wanted to order our meal before our drink order was served (our answer was "no"). Too, when we placed our drink order I asked "do you have an IPA?" and was told "yes" but with no elaboration as to what IPA, whether there was more than one. My wife ordered a Chardonney which the waiter, when he confirmed our order, referred to merely as a "white wine," so she had to correct him to make sure he had it right.

We started with a large order of spring rolls. While we typically expect them not to be fried a la egg rolls, these were. The presentation was good, but the rolls themselves, along with the sauce, were bland.

My wife had the mushoo pork (spelling problem there, I acknowledge) on a bed of rice rather than with wraps. I had the small barbecued ribs. Both portions were quite large. My wife felt there was a taste in the pork she didn't like, but that, of course, is just a matter of taste. My ribs were very satisfying. They were served with onion rings and a small cucumber salad. Again the presentation was very good.

Overall, good dinner. But I do agree with a previous writer that it was pricey (>$!00).

1  Thank NormanSantaFe
Reviewed 17 August 2017

Ate lunch here as I was passing through town. Ordered the lunch special which consisted of 3 different appetizers: crispy spring rolls, lettuce wraps and shrimp tempura. Lettuce wraps were so salty I could hardly eat them (in fact only ate one of them) spring rolls and tempura were ok. Slightly better than shopping mall fast food chinese quality. Felt it was expensive for the quality. They charged $4 for a glass of ice tea! If Im ever passing through again, can't say I'd stop here. On positive note, service was very nice and friendly.

Reviewed 12 August 2017

One of our go-to restaurants since we live nearby. Asian-influenced menu. Husband loves the tuna, and I go for the tiger shrimp, but no matter your choice, it is hard to go wrong on whatever you order. Service can be uneven. Three diners in our party last weekend. My order was completely wrong, so I sent it back. My companions finished their meals while I waited, and then they got to watch me eat. No fun. Also, our young waitress admitted she had never opened a wine bottle before. My husband, a former bartender, gave her the lesson, which should have been part of her training. In the end, the manager took my meal off the bill and agreed to give our server a little more training before turning her lose again. Jinja's food is good, and they do respond when something goes wrong.

4  Thank Rose H

Been to Jinja Bar & Bistro? Share your experiences!