“Deliver me from poorly trained millennial wait staff”
Review of Jinja Bar & Bistro

Jinja Bar & Bistro
Ranked #123 of 578 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Price range: US$12 - US$19
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Jinja is a sleek yet casual local spot serving Pan Asian dishes. Has a full bar with an extensive cocktail menu which features Pre-Prohibition & Tiki style drinks. Affordable Kid friendly menu is available.
Reviewed 12 October 2017

I have very mixed feelings about Jinja. I have found the bar pretty consistent and the food quality very inconsistent. I've pretty much taken it off my list although tonight a friend wanted to go there to celebrate both our birthdays. What can I say. It was not a good experience. First, they brought my entree before my cocktail. I tried to explain to the wait person this was not the order I prefer but no, he didn't want to listen to me. He's a millennial and he just wanted to give excuses like the bar was backed up. I explained to him that the thing to do then is to hold the order so your customer can have their cocktail first. Then, there's the cold soup. Jinja is notorious in my mind for delivering a bathwater temperature soup and I usually request that they heat mine. I forgot and got the cold soup treatment. I sent it back and told them to just skip it since my entire was already on the table although my cocktail had not yet arrived. When the manager appeared ten minutes later to ask what was wrong I again tried to explain the mixup in the order of delivering cocktails and food. Again, he just tried to excuse the situation by saying the bar was backed up. Ug. I'm done with this joint. Remind me to never go there again. I suggest that they train their staff and their managers.

1  Thank rannynm2016

Reviewed 3 October 2017

We eat at Jinja in Santa Fe regularly, and the food is consistently good. We like that for most entrees they offer small or large portions. Our last visit, though, a friend ordered a mixed drink and after bringing him the wrong drink twice, he told them to skip it. He was pretty irritated. A bad night behind the bar?

7  Thank sakinavb
Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

I visit Santa Fe often and there are many wonderful places to eat. Jinja Bistro has been for several years, a favorite of ours for Asian flare. Dropped in today for an early dinner, hostess and wait staff were attentive and in good spirits. Calamari, Pot Stickers, and Seared Ahi tasted great. However, Shakin Beef, a usually wonderful dish, was not so good. The tenderloin was not tender, onions not caramelized, and sauce was just plain blah. Maybe it was just a off evening for the chef & company.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

Recently stayed in Santa Fe and ate a several different restaurants. I have already given them excellent reviews but this restaurant does not deserve it. Service was good but our server had all the food brought out at the same time so obviously the main course got cold. Not really an issue if the food tasted good. It did not. The only good things were the egg rolls but the rest of the meal was awful. Needed more water to drink but neither the server or anyone else around so I finally went to the bar to get more water to drink. Overall a very poor meal. I would strongly advise not to eat here.

1  Thank Jim S
Reviewed 3 September 2017

We went to Jinja on the spur of the moment for dinner last Friday evening around 5:30. No trouble getting a quiet booth and the ambiance is nice.

Service was so-so. The waitstaff was young and not polished. For example, we placed our drink order and then were asked twice if we wanted to order our meal before our drink order was served (our answer was "no"). Too, when we placed our drink order I asked "do you have an IPA?" and was told "yes" but with no elaboration as to what IPA, whether there was more than one. My wife ordered a Chardonney which the waiter, when he confirmed our order, referred to merely as a "white wine," so she had to correct him to make sure he had it right.

We started with a large order of spring rolls. While we typically expect them not to be fried a la egg rolls, these were. The presentation was good, but the rolls themselves, along with the sauce, were bland.

My wife had the mushoo pork (spelling problem there, I acknowledge) on a bed of rice rather than with wraps. I had the small barbecued ribs. Both portions were quite large. My wife felt there was a taste in the pork she didn't like, but that, of course, is just a matter of taste. My ribs were very satisfying. They were served with onion rings and a small cucumber salad. Again the presentation was very good.

Overall, good dinner. But I do agree with a previous writer that it was pricey (>$!00).

1  Thank NormanSantaFe