“Two Words: French Toast!”

The Famous Plaza Cafe
Ranked #17 of 584 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: Southwestern, Diner
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner
Description: Known as Santa Fe's oldest restaurant, the Plaza Cafe serves highly acclaimed, authentic traditional dishes since 1905. Located on the historic Santa Fe Plaza, you won't find a better view or atmosphere while you enjoy an authentic New Mexican experience. The Razatos family keeps with the traditional cooking methods and flavor combinations of New Mexico and additional recipes from Greece, all the while keeping with the classic American diner experience. This is why you'll find everything from blue corn green chile carne asada enchiladas with a warm pillowy sopaipilla to chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and a gyro with a Greek salad on the side. The Plaza Cafe is a favorite among locals and movie stars alike, and everything finds what they are looking for at the Plaza.
Reviewed 23 October 2015 via mobile

We have come here numerous times over the years and we ALWAYS make time for breakfast at the Famous Plaza Cafe! The French toast is unlike any other! Made with a brioche bread, it also has a sweet crunch on the outside. The order is huge, but you won't want to share! Add the thick bacon (you might want to order it crispy) to your order and you have heaven on a plate!

1  Thank tinytexan2
Daniel R, Owner at The Famous Plaza Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2015

Two words: You rock! It means a whole to me that you've always made time to come see us. It's such a joy getting to see friendly faces like yours. I certainly hope you'll make your way back this way again soon -- our French toast misses you.

Cheers,
Daniel, Owner

Write a ReviewReviews (1,344)

Reviewed 22 October 2015

Have eaten here many times in the past but went twice for pie and sopapillas on this trip. We were not disappointed and it was a real treat.

2  Thank glynn s
Daniel R, Owner at The Famous Plaza Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2015

Reading this review was a real treat, Glynn! I'm so glad you've made us one of your go-to stops. Looking forward to sharing may sopapillas in the future.

All my best,

Reviewed 20 October 2015

Lots of food. I had a toco breakfast. My husband helped me eat such a large portion. He liked his granola and fresh berries. This has been around for many years, and always busy. They also have a restaurant on the south side of town which we have been to and liked very much. Somewhat different food, which we probably like best, but this was very good and within walking distance from our hotel.

2  Thank njengel

I'm thrilled you and your husband got a chance to join us! I hope you're able to stop by for more breakfast soon.

Warmly,

Reviewed 19 October 2015

In all the years I've been visiting New Mexico this place has always been the place for breakfast and lunch for that matter. On this trip we brought two friends from Chicago.
They were so impressed we had breakfast there four days in a row. I suggested other places but this was where they wanted to start our day. No matter what was ordered for breakfast it was excellent. And our friends enjoyed every bit. Not knowing if they could tolerate NM chili, I cautioned them but they could not get enough with their meals. The blue corn pancakes with pinion nuts were a big hit. I would recommend the Plaza Cafe to everyone who plans to visit Santa Fe. Food and service is the best. It's been the best for me for years and will continue to be whenever I visit Santa Fe.

3  Thank Mario C
Daniel R, Owner at The Famous Plaza Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2015

Thank you so much for letting us be part of your friends' vacation, Mario! It was a real treat getting to see all of you for four days in a row.

I hope you'll all join us for more chili very soon.

Until then,

Reviewed 17 October 2015

We ate breakfast here 5 mornings out of 5. The breakfast was very good, lacked for nothing. What was even more outstanding about this restaurant is that every single person who waited on us, or came around with coffee, or came over to us for anything, was cheerful and friendly, and came back right away with whatever it was we wanted. Different people kept coming over to check on us, so we seemed to deal with various people every time there. The efficiency and cheerfulness of every single person there, was remarkable, and noteworthy. And unlike many restaurants, when I asked for my bacon and my hash browns to be "extra crispy", that's exactly what I got every time. It was a real pleasure. We didn't go there for other meals because we were never around there at lunch time or dinner time, so I only know about breakfast.

3  Thank baldfellow

Five out of five mornings is seriously impressive -- I tip my hat to you! It's always such a pleasure to share some breakfast with guests as gracious as you. I hope Illinois is treating you well and that you'll come by for round six very soon.