“Five's not enough should be 10”
Review of Sazon

Sazon
Reserve with OpenTable
Sazon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 590 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Price range: US$35 - US$60
Description: Housed in an iconic old adobe building in the center of Santa Fe, Sazon gives its patrons a taste of what the authentic Mexico, with its fastest growing ethnic cuisine in terms of popularity, is all about. The artwork is stunning. Starting with a massive chandelier in the main hallway, custom made in Guadalajara and featuring over 16 different lamps, to the furniture and artwork, it is obvious that special attention has been given to the interior decoration. The oil on canvass paintings are beautiful, featuring artists from Mexico City, Guadalajara and Cabo, Mexico. The dining room is warm and inviting with lots of space so you don't feel crowded, but also plenty of romantic and private spots where one can be wrapped in their own cocoon. There is a back room that is part of the dining room but can also be sectioned off for private parties. Lighting has been well thought out and highlights the art without being intrusive. The bar is stunning exhibiting a great sensitivity to the Santa Fe adobe style yet bringing its own clean and refreshed look. The bar, made from recycled parapara wood from Ecuador, houses the largest selection of tequila and mescal in Santa Fe. Bartenders know their craft as evidenced by the signature cocktails featuring tequila and mescal which are subtle and seductive. Try a Sazonrita which is Mezcal, Patron Citronge, fresh lime, agave, and muddled cucumber over ice. It will make a believer out of you when it comes to mescal!
Reviewed 20 January 2018 via mobile

We went by here without any recommendations... no idea what to anticipate... we had the most spectacular experience ever. It started with a pleasant cocktail in the bar. There was a fire blazing in the fireplace providing a nice fragrance. We were invited into the dining room shortly. Our wait person was delightful and guided our epicurean journey. It started with our introduction to 5 savory mole'. We sampled each and then selected our entree partially based on which preparations were used. Long story short, the evening was fantastic and I would highly recommend to everyone!!!

1  Thank geraldh463

Reviewed 17 January 2018 via mobile

Make sure to try Saxon on your next trip to Santa Fe. Local’s flood the bar to eat. They readily tell you “this is the best restaurant in Santa Fe”. My experience was remarkable for the level of creativity offered on the menu. Try the crab soup to start. Desserts surprising. Main dishes very special. We will always make reservations ahead of any planned visit.

3  Thank Sillyroo7
Reviewed 17 January 2018 via mobile

Well this place is something really special!

On this particular evening I was dining alone, the place was jam packed and I had a seat at the bar~
Where they made me feel like I was part of the family.

The wonderful couple to the left of me who were celebrating their 35th wedding anniversary are friends of the owner (Who came out to shake their hands after providing a complementary dessert) ~
and the bartenders were incredible to say the least .... Leif effortlessly told me every ingredient in all of the delicious moles, as well as anything else that I was looking at on the menu, While Annie made sure that I had a taste of smoky Mezcal before I decided on a good signature cocktail..... I settled for the Sazonrita (spicy rim.. Mezcal~ fresh lime +Cucumber-wonderful!)

So the first stand out part of this experience was the most excellent service imaginable. Alert, aware, informed and happy to be there .,,,the two bartenders handled my dining experience with perfection!

All of the food is five star ~ and the drinks and service are equal

I’ve lived in Santa Fe for over 20 years. It’s hard to top some of the quintessential Santa Fe restaurants. Café Pascual‘s comes to mind as does La Boca, Joseph’s Pub, Geronimo .....etc

Then of course the taco stands and burger joints are also equally amazing in their own way ~ El Parasol, Santa Fe Bite....and so on

Why I mention all of this- is because the owner of this restaurant has been involved in some of the best of all of these in Santa Fe

Fernand Olea owned Bert’s Burger Bowl when I came to town 20 years ago. It’s a place that I enjoyed frequently.... Green chili cheeseburgers ~ fries smothered in red chili and cheese etc. and arguably the best Carnitas tacos I’ve ever had

He also did a taco shop call Bert’s Taqueria

I learned all of this from the couple sitting by me who know him.

This is a fine dining experience to say the least.... but it was interesting to know the long Santa Fe history of the owner, who I had the pleasure of meeting for the first time.

So is the food worthy of all the hype? YES!!
The moles are incredible ~ from the sweetest to the most savory

I also had some tenderloin tacos that were so tender and delicious, and then I ate the whole Enchilda for an entrée ....shrimp

It was absolutely the best I have ever had -hands down -bar none.
Even the handmade ice cream based dessert with yet more silver Mezcal was amazingly delicious and very unique.

What a pleasant experience, I highly recommend it ...can’t wait to bring my wife and daughter

2  Thank Taylor O
Reviewed 8 January 2018 via mobile

So good and so very different than any other restaurant we have ever experienced. Such masterful fusion of flavors and foods. I was attracted by the mole's and was not disappointed. There were 5 mole' sauces presented and each was different and amazing. We shared a fresh berry and pastry dessert where the pastry was so light you could blow it away like a feather if you were not careful. Mostly just so good as to be difficult to describe.
Great selection of tequilas and masterful mixed drinks. Go early and have a drink in the bar to enjoy the ambiance and good bartenders.

5  Thank Mark F
Reviewed 7 January 2018

Fantastic cuisine, great decoration, magnificent dishes - in flavor, ingredients and presentation. Top courteous and professional service. The entire staff went out of their way to make us have a great experience. Definitely one of the best restaurants of Santa Fe.

1  Thank HO1964

Been to Sazon? Share your experiences!