“Rude, snobby staff + musty gross room = total waste of money”

La Posada de Santa Fe, a Tribute Portfolio Resort & Spa
Ranked #28 of 61 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed 13 October 2017

I also submitted this to the GM:
I was so looking forward to our stay at La Fonda as I was celebrating a major health milestone. We flew in from Dallas and were really excited to stay on such a beautiful property. We pulled up around 4 last Tuesday (10/3) and valet ignored us until my husband got the attention of the valet. I expected him to say hello and welcome us but he just asked for our last name. My husband got our suitcases out of the trunk himself, right in front of the valet attendant. The valet said nothing else to us as we tried getting our luggage inside. There were no attendants of any kind, not even a trolley. Reception was unwelcoming as well. Adriana seemed bothered by our presence. We were tired and she was flat, but we finally got checked in and headed out, again with no help with our luggage. We actually headed toward the restaurant at first as we didn’t have our bearings yet. We realized our mistake and crossed the reception area again. Adriana actually laughed at us and said “I thought it was funny that you were bringing all your bags to the restaurant.” I’m sure you know your property is large so not even having a trolley available is insulting. After all, I’m paying $400++ a night and I feel like we’re imposing on this hotel by staying, such a snooty attitude. We got to the room and it was beautiful but it was not the room we booked. We booked a suite with a separate living area. I hoofed it all the way back to reception and told Adriana. She offered to show me another room and asked if I liked it better. I did like it better because it was what I had reserved. I then had to walk all the way back to the first room to inform my husband of the new place. He then took ALL of our luggage by himself to the new room while I made my way all the way back to reception for keys. Adriana walked out and told me the other female receptionist would help me. While I was waiting a man I believe was the manager approached me and asked if I liked the new room better. Guess what. I did because it’s what I reserved! The pixie cut receptionist checked me in, insanely robotic and vapid personality. She also asked if I liked the new room better. Yep. I sure did. All of this was exhausting physically and mentally. No one even apologized for this convenience. No one. This was so disappointing, the entire check in. You made us feel so unwelcome. We left for dinner and I walked straight into La Fonda and told them we needed to get away from La Posada. They welcomed us the following day with a beautiful clean room on the top floor and the most kind and welcome service.
I am never ever staying at La Posada and I’ve already told several people about our experience. I didn’t even go into the quality of the room. Adriana told us that many of the rooms flood when it rains and that you always have maintenance and that roofers had been there that very morning. The room showed it, it’s dark and musty and the carpet is really bad. The whole experience was insulting.

Room Tip: Get a 2nd floor room. The first floor rooms are known to flood apparently
4  Thank MFL1460
LaPo_General_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at La Posada de Santa Fe, a Tribute Portfolio Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2017

Dear MFL1460,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I sincerely apologize for the issues you experienced during your recent stay. Your feedback is extremely valuable, and we've utilized your comments to help us implement additional guest service training initiatives and room inspections to ensure these types of situations do not occur again. Please be assured that we take these comments seriously and hold ourselves to a much higher standard. All of us wish you a safe and pleasant journey and do hope you have the chance to visit our city again soon.

Reviewed 12 October 2017

We had a lovely upgraded room, 199, which is in back near the pool. We never heard any noise. Room was large and decorated in Southwestern motif. Margarita ("Natcha"), the concierge was very helpful. Hotel is a couple blocks from the main plaza. There is valet parking, 4 different daily newspapers, afternoon appetizers and/or seminars as well as a local shuttle included with the $30 resort fee. I still hate resort fees but at least at La Posada I was using some of the things they were charging extra for. We didnt eat breakfast at the hotel but we had a wonderful dinner there which was not unduly expensive. The only very minor complaint I had was that, particularly in the evening, you could wait quite a while for the shuttle,

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
6  Thank chitownsam
Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

I urge you to avoid this hotel!

I am a platinum member with with SPG and Marriott. This year alone I spent over 170 paid nights at these two brands.

La Posada has the worst service of ANY hotel I have ever stayed at.

I have allergies and need my room to be feather-free. This is noted in my profile, is included on every reservation I make - and I always call a day or two prior to arrival to confirm that the hotel is on top of this requirement.

We arrived, checked in and I inquired if the room had been defeathered. This was the start of a horrible visit.

At first the manager said the reservation did not specify this need. I asked to look more carefully and then she did agree that the reservation and other notes DID note this requirement.

I asked if they had addressed this and was told "probably - but check when you get in your room".

Well I checked and found all down feather pillows. Called the manager and asked to have room defeathered while my wife and I went out for dinner.

Came back two hours later to find pillow cases strewn about the floor and feather pillows still on bed.

While checking pillows we noticed stains on the sheets - including dried blood.

Called manager again. She said they would address immediately. 25 minutes later I called again and asked what she meant when she said "immediately" since no one had yet come to our room.

Finally someone came to address both the sheets and the pillows. Got the sheets right this time - but still tried to put feather pillows on bed.

Called manager again - going on four hours since we checked in - and she sent person over with correct pillows ... finally.

She said the day manager would call us at 7:00 AM the next morning since we were upset.

It is now 9:35 AM and no call from day manager.

Went to breakfast. Staff seemed aggravated that we want a table. Several tables were empty - but not cleared.

20 minutes to get someone to finally clear a table that was empty before we arrived.

This place has a great location. If you don't care about service this could be a good choice.

I wouldn't stay here again under any circumstances!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JAH729
Lilia K, General Manager at La Posada de Santa Fe, a Tribute Portfolio Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2017

Dear JAH729,

It was a pleasure speaking with you directly about your recent stay.  I sincerely apologize, once again, for the issues you experienced, but I am pleased we were finally able to connect to resolve your concerns in a satisfactory manner.  Feedback from our platinum members is particularly valuable and you can be assured that your comments have been shared with applicable management and staff members.  All of us wish you a safe and pleasant journey and do hope you will have the opportunity to visit again.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

Had a very pleasant stay here. The room was cozy and comfortable. The service was very good. An added bonus was the car service that included two mile radius. This included destinations with many great choices of restaurants. The staff were all friendly and helpful.

5  Thank KHA8
Reviewed 5 October 2017

The original room we checked into, room 149, had a number of issues, broken window, poorly functioning toilet, and a shower with water pressure that was similar to a hose. The room smelled like a campfire because we made the mistake of starting a fire and we were not able to air it out due to the window issues. Because of the way the room was situated it quickly went from appearing cozy to feeling like a cave. When I requested a new room after the first evening, staff was very helpful and I understand that with full capacity it would be a problem changing our room. We paid a $30 hotel resort charge for each night but really avoided spending any time at the hotel because the room was tiny and it smelled. I was told that some people request that portion of the hotel because they like the "charm ' and historical significance - not quite sure I buy that one.

I will say that almost everyone we encountered was very pleasant and very professional. I was given points for the inconvenience and we were moved for the last night [ and that room was very nice, then I understood why the hotel had favorable reviews] but my question is why were we even assigned to that room? Was it because we booked on points? If that is the policy at Starwood, I will have to reconsider my loyalty program participation.

So - if you can get a nice room, it is a very nice experience - just avoid the "charming rooms".

Room Tip: avoid room 149
1  Thank whitney001
LaPo_General_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at La Posada de Santa Fe, a Tribute Portfolio Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2017

Dear whitney001,

It is always a special pleasure to hear from a loyal SPG guest. Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your comments about the professionalism of our staff. I sincerely apologize for the issues you experienced with your original room. Every room is unique because of the resort’s history as a private estate in the 1880’s, artist colony in the 1930’s and 1940’s, and more recent expansions. Our front desk staff is always happy to work with guests to find a room that best meets their particular requirements – whether booked with loyalty program points or in any other manner - and I am pleased that we were able to provide you with a different room more to your liking. Your feedback is most valuable and has been shared with applicable members of the management and staff. All of us wish you a safe and pleasant journey and hope you will have the opportunity to visit again very soon.