“Fun for Children”
Review of The Melting Pot

The Melting Pot
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #148 of 220 Restaurants in Thousand Oaks
Price range: US$40 - US$60
Cuisines: Swiss
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Marmon
Description: The Melting Pot is the nation's largest fondue restaurant chain, offering a combination of great food, intimate atmosphere and interactive dining. The Melting Pot strives to help guest create memories through event dining as a destination restaurant perfect for a romantic dinner or a family gathering.
Reviewed 31 July 2016

My children love the Melting Pot! The food was delicious, but would have liked more veggies with our dinner (we ordered beef fondue), and prices were a bit expensive if you want to include salad and dessert fondue. We reserved online at the Melting Spot website, and were confused as reservations seemed to be full online, but restaurant was almost empty. Atmosphere is also really low light.

Reviewed 30 June 2016 via mobile

Luckily the place wasn't too busy when we arrived so we were seated right away. We ordered a 4 course meal and an additional entree which started first with the cheese fondue. It was really good and I like how they give you different items to dip. Second course was salad and I got the Caesar salad which was not very tasty..it wasn't terrible it was just okay but I generally enjoy Caesar salad.

Next was the entree which you cook yourself for several minutes in a pot of hot boiling water. That was interesting but the idea of cooking your own food at a restaurant is a gimmick that I've learned I'm not the biggest fan of and definitely not something I want to do very often. The vegetables that come with the meal are red potatoes, baby zucchini, and mushrooms which weren't anything special. I think the food needs to be marinated in more spices etc so you an get better flavoring in it. It was a little bland which is probably why they give you 6 different sauces to dip your food in. The curry dip is actually pretty good.

Lastly, was the chocolate fondue! We ordered the original which comes with chocolate and peanut butter sauce. The sides to dip were rice Krispy treats, blondie which tasted like a cookie and was really good, strawberries, bananas, pound cake, brownies, and graham cracker covered marshmallows which I also loved. The dessert by far was the best course. We definitely left full and pretty much satisfied because the dessert was so good but i wasn't as impressed as I thought I was going to be with the rest of the food.

The service was good and our waitress was very nice but overall I expected more of a wow factor in regards to the way the food tasted especially since it's not cheap to dine here. I recommend this restaurant as more of a been there done that experience that's good to try at least once and if in the mood for chocolate i would come back for dessert for sure.

Reviewed 23 April 2016

Food was wonderful, service was great, Geoffrey was very in tune, professional and nice. Service was timely. Great job

Reviewed 11 January 2016

The family (4 adults) took me to The Melting Pot (for the first time) for my birthday.
First impression... expensive for what it was.
We decided to order only three courses (cheese fondue, salad and dessert), because including the meat course would have been just a whole lot of food!
We ordered the Classic Alpine fondue, which included aged gruyere, rachlette and fontina cheeses, blended with white wine and garlic, topped with nutmeg. Yum! It's prepared tableside and served with bread pieces, tomatoes, apple slices and carrots for dipping.
Next came the salad. Two ordered the house salad and two ordered the apple bacon spinach salad. We had to send back the spinach salad, because it was topped with some type of chili powder, which was horrible.
Our replacement salads were very good.
The last course, dessert, was the flaming turtle, which, in our case, wasn't flaming, because apparently they ran out of the ingredient they use to ignite it. :( It was a combination of milk chocolate, caramel and candied pecans and was served with an assortment of dessert tidbits...brownies, blondies, coated marshmallows, bananas, strawberries, rice krispie treats and pound cake. It was a very tasty, very satisfying dessert.
We left our 4 year old at home with a sitter and I'm glad we did, because of the hot pot in the middle of the table and the food get very hot!
I am definitely a carnivore, but I didn't miss the meat course at all.

Reviewed 10 January 2016

Upon arrival we ordered drinks as our tabletop burners warmed up, but the burners were unreliable so we were moved to another table. Once resettled, a burner almost failed to heat properly again but kicked in at the last minute. (By the way, if you order drinks, the berry mojito is far better than the Southern Tea.)

There were six in our party, and we each opted for the Four Course Experience at $50 per person. We tried the hearty cheddar and beer fondue and the fondue with white cheeses mixed with asparagus and prosciutto bits (which, apparently, isn't offered at all Melting Pot locations). Both were excellent choices.

For the second course, most in our party ordered the California salad, which was well received. (Unfortunately, the candied pecans were missing and had to be requested from our server.) I had the spinach, apple, and bacon salad and although I liked the vinaigrette very much, the salad itself merely mediocre; the serving was small and contained one very short strip of bacon and three tiny bits of green apple.

The food quality of the meat course was excellent; therefore, all options offered in course three were winners. I highly recommend the Fondue Fusion. The lobster tail and duck breast were superb! The meats offered in the French Quarter entrée were all heavily coated in the same Cajun seasoning but was also thoroughly savored. Coq au vin was the cooking style strongly recommended by the regular Melting Pot diners in our group, so we all went with that and were not disappointed. Six different dipping sauces came with our entrée, which added other tasty flavor elements to our meal.

The dessert course was quite simple: bites of bananas, marshmallows, strawberries, apples, pound cake, etc., dipped in a variety of chocolate options. We sorely missed the cheesecake bites, which have apparently been removed from the menu. The Yin & Yang (white and dark chocolate) makes an impressive presentation in the menu photo, but not so much tableside, and it takes no time at all for the two chocolates to become blended into one. It’s all chocolate so, of course, it still tasted good.

Overall, dinner at The Melting Pot is an enjoyable evening out with friends, especially if you want a different dining experience and have two or three hours to devote to the experience. Everyone in our group—even those who had never before considered eating fondue—enjoyed the leisurely meal. We were amazed that we left full after being served what seemed to be small amounts of food.

The only real drawbacks to our experience was (1) the inconvenience of dealing with faulty table burners and (2) slow service. We had considerable down time between each course. The food brought to our table was simply a variety of cubed breads, fruit pieces, or bite-sized raw meats, so we were perplexed as to why the wait was so long.