“Before Symphony Dinner”

The Student Prince Cafe & The Fort Dining Room
Reserve with OpenTable
The Student Prince Cafe & The Fort Dining Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 393 Restaurants in Springfield
Price range: US$8 - US$28
Cuisines: American, German, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The landmark restaurant of Downtown Springfield with dedicated service and a German accent since 1935.
Reviewed 6 December 2015

Excellent food, atmosphere and drink selection. They seemed a little understaffed as the service was on slow side but I think it was busier than expected because of the symphony event. The camembert cheese is a must have appetizer, the filet mignon tournedos with roguefort cheese was melt in your mouth delicious. The oysters were fresh and the Kaiser Schnitzel was so scrumptious I could of eaten at least 3 plates. It is on the pricier side but well worth it for the food.

Rudirup, Public Relations Manager at The Student Prince Cafe & The Fort Dining Room, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2015

We appreciate your raking the time to post your thoughts about the Student Prince. We were hit with a double whammy that day. we had our Symphony business and we also had a lot of guests come in after the UMass basketball game...and as usually happens everything was at 6:00, we managed to get all the symphony group fed and we had shuttles to take them to Symphony Hall.

The Kaiser schnitzel is one of our most popular dishes. Please stop by and join us again on Fort street.

Reviewed 17 November 2015

Recently I was able to spend a lunch at The Fort, and was delighted. At first I was concerned about the changes in the driving and parking but was able to secure a space (before I noticed the valet service!). The new interior looks fresh while keeping some of the old touches I remembered. Service was fine for the size of our group, and the menu was fantastic offering a large assortment of traditional dishes. When the food arrived the portions were generous, and fragrances and flavors wonderful. I am recommending this for a group of friends coming to visit who haven't been there in a few years--a really great place to dine downtown.

Rudirup, Public Relations Manager at The Student Prince Cafe & The Fort Dining Room, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2015

We are glad that you enjoyed your visit to Fort Street. A lot of effort was made to keep the feel of the place while giving it a bit of a face lift. This is a great month to visit the Student Prince. Our carolers are starting on December 11.
See you on Fort Street

Reviewed 26 October 2015

We have used the Student Prince for our nearly annual gathering of scattered friends. We come from as far north as Berlin New Hampshire and from as far west as the New Jersey banks of the Delaware River. Springfield is halfway between. We have always enjoyed the wonderful beer selections and the Bavarian food. Having missed a year, we found the place spruced up (much cheerier and brighter), the staff much more professional and the food was terrific. The chicken liver appetizer was simply terrific. I had the wurstplatte and it was excellent. The spaetzel and the sauerkraut were the best I have ever tasted! I tried some of the viener schnitzel that a friend had ordered and it was terrific. The staff was so accommodating and friendly we felt like family.

Rudirup, Public Relations Manager at The Student Prince Cafe & The Fort Dining Room, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2015

Thanks for the nice words. We hope to greet you and your friends in the future. We will have our famous Christmas caroling nightly starting Dec. 11 if you feel like taking a trip North. The city of Springfield also has a beautiful Bright Night display!

Reviewed 24 October 2015 via mobile

A friend and I went for pre-dinner cocktails and enjoyed the lively scene! The cocktails were well made, and the wine list was quite nice too! It seemed like the joint was hopping for an early Saturday evening, and it was an older crowd. Despite this, we were able to linger at the bar, chatting over our drinks. Cool place!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Maybe the next time you join us you can try a classic weiner schnitzel or one of our delicious seafood dishes!

Reviewed 15 October 2015

I have been a supporter of The Fort for well over 2 decades. It all began when my firend began working behind the bar. It wasn't long until I decided to work in the kitchen. Let me tell you- It was hell! But back then Ruppert was the boss, and you just did what you were told. A lot has changed since then. I was just in 2 weeks ago and was warmly greeted by JP (manager) whom I consider a friend and a colleague. We sat in the booth area, with a bird's eye view of the crowd. I had my usual favorites- Salad with Roquefort, butterfly shrimp, clams casino, and more. Everyone at the table enjoyed their food. If you are beer aficionado, this IS the place...no one in the world makes beer like the Germans and they serve the best here! I haven't been too often lately but the new owners are bringing back the glory days and I salute them for it. I want to shout out to my friends over there (both current and retired) JP, Al, Mark, Larry, Robert, Kurt (lol where are you?), sally, Lonnie, Radar, Eddie? Pat...and of course Rudi. I know some of you are gone but what the hell right? Eat your heart out Antony Bourdain...this place is the real f-ing deal...not like your bogus TV show. BTW Fort Folks..bring back the Asbach Uralt chocolates and cigars please. You are still my favorite restaurant and I will be back soon- All the Best-

Rudirup, Guest Relations Manager at The Student Prince Cafe & The Fort Dining Room, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2015

I am glad that you enjoyed the Student Prince. We have tried to keep the spirit of the establishment alive. We always enjoy seeing old time friends. The Asbach candies will be on the shelf in early December. Cigars are sadly gone forever, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts does not anyone to have fun. See you on Fort Street!