“Old favorites still available, but things have changed”

The Student Prince Cafe & The Fort Dining Room
Reserve with OpenTable
The Student Prince Cafe & The Fort Dining Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 392 Restaurants in Springfield
Price range: US$8 - US$28
Cuisines: American, German, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The landmark restaurant of Downtown Springfield with dedicated service and a German accent since 1935.
Reviewed 3 September 2018

I confirmed it with our server...some things have changed. The coffee, for instance. Not the same--still good after your meal, but not as good as coffee they used to serve. The bread they offer is AMAZING and there was plenty of it. My standby dish (sauerbraten) has changed a bit. I was bummed because it did not taste QUITE as good as I remember it did, but it was still satisfying. The best meal of the day was the weinerschnitzel, which my husband had. We all shared a bit, and agreed it is not to be missed. Portions are hearty and the soup was amazing. BEERS galore as well. A Springfield classic that is still serving up great food despite all the newcomers in town. Don't miss out on a visit to The Student Prince while in Springfield...you will regret it!

Rudirup, Manager at The Student Prince Cafe & The Fort Dining Room, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2018

I am glad that you were happy with your dining experience. Some things have changed and perhaps needed to be changed. I will check out the coffee and make sure that it is being properly brewed. We hope to see you again on Fort Street.

Reviewed 6 August 2018

Had a really nice anniversary dinner here in Early June. I had the bratwurst with potato cakes. My wife had the special. We also got the fried brie appetizer that was excellent. This is a great place for special occasions or even just for a good night out. Enjoyed looking over the beer stein collection and wished a had more in my meager collection. I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed this place. Wish I could go back again. Note the portions are large so plan on splitting or taking some home for the next day.

Rudirup, Manager at The Student Prince Cafe & The Fort Dining Room, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2018

Thanks for the nice review! Our fried cheese is a great start to an evening. The bratwurst is a classic German dish on Fort Street. I like it with a bit of sauerkraut. We are glad that you enjoyed your anniversary and we hope to see you in the near future. Our Oktoberfest is a great time and Christmas on Fort Street is not to be missed.

Reviewed 1 August 2018 via mobile

Carmel was extremely helpful with menu choices and photo ops. Thank You!!

parked on the street just outside (meters FREE at night) but valet parking staff were waiting to make this an experience to savor

Rudirup, Manager at The Student Prince Cafe & The Fort Dining Room, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2018

John we appreciate the nice review. Carm is a very pleasant server. Our valets do a great ob in making a first impression on our customers. I don't know if you enjoyed a lobster or lobster roll, even though Nova Scotia does a have some fine seafood. Thanks again and we hope t see you on your next journey!

Reviewed 29 July 2018

It started with free valet parking and stayed first class all the way. The staff was efficient and friendly. Our server had a great sense of humour, and made it an entertaining evening. The cuisine is German and our meals were delicious.

Rudirup, Manager at The Student Prince Cafe & The Fort Dining Room, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2018

We appreciater the nice review. The valets do a great job in making a favorable first impression on our customers. I am pleased that your enjoyed he food and had an entertaining time on Fort Street. Thanks Again!

Reviewed 29 July 2018

We've been eating here for 30 years and have never been disappointed. Tonight was no exception. We were celebrating our grandson's promotion. I had one of the specials--fried belly clams which I ordered with crispy brussel sprouts. Delicious and plentiful! My husband's duck was perfect with crispy skin and moist meat served with loganberry sauce. My grandson's goulash was excellent. All the sides were tasty and accompanied the entrees so well. Service was outstanding; waitress answered our questions and was just delightful. We had no room for dessert.

Rudirup, Manager at The Student Prince Cafe & The Fort Dining Room, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2018

Thanks for the nice review! I think that our fried clams are a great item, and you don't have to drive to the shore. it is too bad that you could not enjoy dessert. I guess that eat inf dessert prior to the meal is frowned upon!!!