“Excellent Greek food”

Ranked #86 of 1,069 Restaurants in Buffalo
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 27 April 2015

Kostas is an excellent Greek restaurant! The owner and waitstaff are so incredibly happy and friendly! I've been to Kostas several times and I've never ordered anything that I didn't love!

They have an excellent Hummus sampler platter, as well as the best Spanikopita I've ever had. My favorite dish is the Gyro-dillas! They are quesadillas filled with gyro and tzatziki sauce.

My mom is a huge fan of the Moussaka. Honestly, everything you order will be delicious. It's a great place!

Reviewed 6 April 2015

We have visited this location many times, because of the variety of food on the menu. The food is pretty good, with a good variety of both greek and american dishes. The food arrived promptly. Some of our party enjoyed the souvlaki, two of us had omelettes. The home fries were very bland with only a few stringy bits of onion and little other seasoning. The server (Joann) was excellent and attentive to our needs. Since this was Easter Sunday and many places were closed, we were grateful to have a friendly place where the family could dine together.

Reviewed 29 March 2015

The restaurant is on Hertel Ave in a building with a faux Greek temple façade. The inside is pleasant and comfortable. My mother enjoyed her food and so did I, except the lamb, which was not great. A little too chewy. Everything else was good, and the service was solid, and the server was friendly. A solid option on a street that is becoming increasingly more competitive.

Reviewed 7 March 2015

We were in Buffalo for a snowy day of shopping, when we found ourselves on Hertal Avenue.

Kostas stood like a beacon on dark, cold night.

I have been married for over 20 years to a Greek, so we know something about Greek food.

My husband and daughter started with the saganaki. The portion was generous. Surprisingly, it was not flambeed table side. While they both enjoyed it, they missed the booziness of metaxa or ouzo, and the lemony quencher.

My husband enjoyed the avgolemeno soup.

My husband ordered the horiatiki salad as a main, my daughter and I ordered the chicken souvlaki, not the souvlaki dinner.

The 3 plates were Identical looking when they arrived.

The horiatki was covered in lettuce, not a usual ingredient in the village salad.

Our chicken was buried in a mountain of undressed romaine, when we finally found it, it was dry and burnt. Somewhere in there, were refrigerated tomatoes, cold and tasteless. There was absolutely no seasoning or dressing on these plates.

Perhaps we were meant to use the seasoned oil on the table? but then where's the acid? Some lemon or a little vinegar on the table would have been nice.

This looks like a nice place, a little faded, with elevator music. The staff are very nice and try to make up for the shortcomings in the kitchen.

They seemed to do a great takeout and delivery business and there were quite a few regulars, who didn't order what we did. So I am guessing there is some good food to be had.

A word to the wise, avoid the salads.

Reviewed 14 February 2015

The look of the place is beautiful. But the food could be better. For one thing if you get their pasta it's great but, if you try and stray away from the Greek food and pasta the food turns mediocre. The food defiantly does not fit the look of the place.