“Great food, but be prepared to spend $”
Review of Deep South Taco

Deep South Taco
Ranked #93 of 1,068 Restaurants in Buffalo
Reviewed 11 June 2017 via mobile

We visited the Ellicott Street location. It was sunny and we wanted to sit on the patio, but there are no umbrellas to offer shade, so we opted to sit under the room, although still outside. The majority of the tables are higher with stools. We were there on a Sunday around lunch, and it was appropriate for kids. Later in the evening, probably not so much.

Here's the deal. The food is excellent. It's great taco street-food and quite authentic to Mexico, but it is quite pricey. A single taco costs at least four dollars, others are more. The drinks are sold in cans - so you get a single can of Diet Coke, for example, for $2.25. For a family of five, we ordered a single of steak fajitas (it would serve one, but we split it), four individual tacos (carne asada, al pastor, papa con rajas, and carnitas), a chicken/cheese quesadilla, queso dip, and the 3 salsa/chip platter. We left content, but hungrier people might expect more food. We also ordered four sodas. It came to $85.

Other reviewers comment on the tortillas. These are authentic, homestyle tortillas. Most people are probably used to the manufactured store bought type. Also, the salsa isn't the run of the mill red stuff you get at Chili's. Again, it's real Mexican. If you like the Chili's stuff, go there.

We will be back. Great food and ambience. Our server was fantastic. I'd recommend!

Reviewed 12 May 2017

Their menu, as their name suggests, is primarily tacos, but they are really good tacos. The tacos are a small, like "street tacos", and come "a la carte" without sides, so order three if you're hungry. I had a carne asada, a carnitas, and a fish taco. All three were excellent but the carne asada was the starring attraction.

Reviewed 20 April 2017

We went to check it out and were not disappointed. Seeing as it was buy one taco get one for dollar more, we were able to try six different varieties, plus guacamole and charro beans for only $35. I had the huitlochoche (corn "fungus"), carnitas, and al pastor. I enjoyed the al pastor and next time would get all of them al pastor, tender chunks of pork with grilled bits of pineapple with a spicy brown "dryish" sauce that was addictive and delicious. The guac was studded with jalapenos and diced tomatoes, sprinkled with cotija and a few thin slices of radish. The chips, as many people noted, are seasoned and tasty on their own. The beans had a weird flavor, to me, but they were enjoyed by my husband. He had three other varieties, enjoyed them all. The taco shells themselves are soft corn shells, slightly puffy, nice vessels for the fillings. We had great service from our server, and the service manager also came by to ask how everything was. The prices can't be beat, and when the weather is warm, how nice to sit outside, or inside with the breezes. I like it.

Reviewed 20 April 2017 via mobile

Went to Deep south on Hertel to check out new location. I had been to Ellicott location and enjoyed food. Food was equally good, however atmosphere was not as pleasant, or perhaps I was too old to enjoy over the top noise and crowd. Had to sit at the bar, even though the large tables had plenty of extra seats. Was told they could not seat different parties at same table. Management may want to rethink that policy. Crowd was made up entirely of bearded men in flannel shirts and women in tight shirts. If you like that crowd, you fit in perfectly. Maybe I will just get take out next time.

Reviewed 17 April 2017 via mobile

With my history of leaving feed back on TripAdvisor this is perhaps one of the first negative one I have ever leave. I can't help but share the experience we had today at lunch. Stop in for a quick lunch and the place for quite enough that we were sat right away. The decor and set up is great. But service is terrible. We order a grilled chicken taco for my son, as you can see (in our attached picture)the chicken was the driest chicken we ever had. His first and last bite he mumble he word"yuck" and spit it right out. He couldn't be more wrong. It tasted like paper. When we got our tacos, I had double pollo Pibil and my husband have pollo Pinole and something with chorizo. Mine came with pickle red union topping and cilantro. I wanted salsa. Only to be told we it could cause extra to order salsa?!? That blows my mind. Also it was the manager that brought our lunch so we told her that our son chicken taco is extremely dry. She say nothing about it and didn't even react to our comment. I am all about food and if you're tell me that a place like this couldn't fresh cook my chicken for my acid and rather use reheat meat that end up so dry that I need to drown it salsa then it's not a place for me. There are two location in Buffalo, my comment refer to Hertel location.

2  Thank Chan S

Been to Deep South Taco? Share your experiences!