“Great Guac”
Review of Diego's

Diego's
Reserve with OpenTable
Diego's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 257 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Diegos is a casual Mexican Restaurant with indoor and outdoor seating. Open year round for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Family owned restaurant that sits on Bowens Wharf next to shopping and hotels. Reservations and walk ins always welcome!
Reviewed 25 July 2017 via mobile

Funky Mexican with a great punky soundtrack on the night we were there. We got seated immediately. Tables are a little small for 4 once you have your water/drinks/ food etc but it kind of adds to the backyard appeal of this place. Loved the relaxed set up. Service is excellent, food tasty though my blackened fish was not nearly blackened enough. The guac is delicious!

Reviewed 25 July 2017 via mobile

Ran in for a quick lunch during a downpour! Delicious Quesadilla and Burrito. We were worried we would miss our shuttle back to the hotel but we were in and out in 35 minutes!

Reviewed 23 July 2017

I've been going to Diego's since it first opened in Newport. Over the years I've recommended Diego's to others, and brought many friends, family and clients even introducing locals to the eatery, before it was the buzz. Suffice to say, I was a fan. In the past year, I've found reasons to take it off my favorite places to eat in Newport list and I'm sure yesterday's visit, will be my last for the foreseeable future. Yesterday, I invited a few people to join me for dinner and drinks. After the requisite hour long wait, which is to be expected in the tourist region of Newport, we sat at the newer upstairs bar. I love to sample and make tequila cocktails in particular, and always want to try a drink I haven't had before. After studying the margarita cocktail menu and asking about a couple of infusions, I ordered a cocktail I haven't tried before; the Bride of Carlos. I got the drink and asked about the froth on top. I was told by the bartender that it was egg. I told him I couldn't have the drink due to the egg, and I apologized asking if the egg was listed in the descriptor, to which he replied "yes it is!" and proceeded to point out the descriptor to me with his finger....until he finally recognized that egg was not listed on the descriptor. At which time he took the drink away strongly saying, "Well, it doesn't say egg, but it has egg in it." He did say he would make another drink, and while he wasn't rude, he was wrong and cavalier in his response. My concerns are to the allergen risks of eggs in general, particularly the raw variety not being listed on the descriptor, which is the fault and responsibility of the owner/manager, not the servers and is a major allergen concern for those who can't have eggs, raw or otherwise. Remarkably, while that circumstance seems a bit of a risk factor, that actually isn't my main gripe with Diego's as it is now. My main issue is with the newer nature of Deigo's in the atmosphere & food. First let me say that I've always enjoyed the laid back, funky vibe and music of Deigo's. It's casual, hip but completely professional staff with it's eclectic mix of music in the background has me has been one of the reasons I enjoy the place. The new music selection we witnessed and have heard from others is loud, blaring, punk rock. This was not for a song mix or two, but for the entire time my party was there. My guess is that is the new music choice of Diego's and it's heading towards more of a niche audience in atmospheric attraction. Not a problem except that the food yesterday, and the last time I was in (which I thought might be a fluke) was bland, uninspired and none of the entree's came with the side salsa's listed on the menu. Last but not least, I was overcharged by $9.50, something I didn't catch until after I left the restaurant and looked at the bill a bit closer. Chances are I was charged for two of my drinks, when I only had one and I was unwilling to brave the chaos with the guests I had just picked up the bill for, just to retrieve $9.50. The bright spots of the night were our server and our cocktails.

Reviewed 21 July 2017 via mobile

Fresh guac and fish tacos were delicious. Good peach sangria too! Friendly service
Make a reservation

Reviewed 20 July 2017 via mobile

we ate outside here and the ambiance was nice. food did take awhile but was worth the wait. we got the tofu quesadilla and crack fries which were great.