“Anniversary Dinner”

The White Horse Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
The White Horse Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 253 Restaurants in Newport
Price range: US$15 - US$39
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bar, Grill
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Farewell St
Transit: The White Horse Tavern is a quarter mile up Marlborough Street from the Newport Gateway and Visitors Center.
Description: At The White Horse Tavern we strive to create a fresh, contemporary culinary experience in a historic tavern atmosphere. Like generations before us, we serve the freshest fish, clams and lobsters from Narragansett Bay along with just-picked produce from local Rhode Island's farms. We embrace RI's vibrant food scene to bring you the very best artisan cheeses, honeys, prime cuts of beef and local fish right off the boat - all in a Colonial tavern that's been serving America for over 350 years. So join us for a taste of 21st century Rhode Island in our 17th century White Horse. You won't be disappointed!
Reviewed 20 September 2017 via mobile

Loved the White Horse Tavern. We had reservations and the service was prompt and friendly. I had the Monk fish, it was excellent! My husband had the scallops, also wonderful. Dessert was excellent with a cup of cappuccino. The waiter gave us a little history lesson, telling us how old the tavern is and also George Washington may have slept here. (he certainly got around) All in all a lovely night!

Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

Had vegetarian BLT without cheese. It was beyond fantastic. I never eat French fries, but I tried one and couldn't stop eating them because they were so good.
The one of or perhaps the oldest tavern in the country. Very well maintained colonial restaurant inside and out. Very cool!
Could use vegan creamer for coffee.

Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

We had a very good meal with excellent service but really the draw is the fact that it is the oldest tavern in the country. Very cool.

Reviewed 17 September 2017

We recently visited Newport RI . As we have done in the past, we had dinner at
the White Horse Tavern. We sat upstairs where only 2 other tables were occupied.
The restaurant was clearly not crowded.
Dinner took over an hour to arrive! There were 4 of us. I ordered the bouillabaisse.
When it was served it had a real fishy odor. I could not even get myself to
try it, the smell was so bad.
I returned the dinner before the waiter left our table.He mumbled something about
it being good.
They asked if I wanted something else, but after waiting an hour in a restaurant that was
clearly understaffed , I said no.
No other recourse was offered. No apologies made.
We clearly will never go back.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

Opportunity to dine in one of the oldest taverns in the US! You can see the antiquity of the structure/ The staff was very friendly and helpful, asked a question about the history and everyone participated in answering! Our waitress was very kind and attentive. The food was very very good. Truly enjoyed our dining experience!

Been to The White Horse Tavern? Share your experiences!