“Unexpected Wonderful Surprise”

Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Waikiki
Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

On our most recent trip to the islands, we stayed a couple days in Waikiki at the Embassy. After a long day up on the North Shore and a big lunch, we wanted a limited dinner and a couple drinks. Walking the Beachwalk area, we found Kaiwa (which we had never visited on past trips). Our server (Joe) was helpful and we ordered several sushi rolls after some miso soups.

The quality was excellent, and Joe treated us wonderfully. Some of the best sushi we ever had.

There are many places in Waikiki for Japanese food and sushi, next trip we will sit for a complete dinner here. I cant wait for the our next trip and re-visiting Kaiwa

Reviewed 8 July 2017 via mobile

There are many great options for Japanese in Waikiki and Kaiwa is up there with the best of them. The restaurant is in a great location and the setting is very comfortable. The food was faultless, each dish was fresh and the menu had many great items outside of the normal sushi and sashimi offering. Staff were friendly and price was very reasonable when you consider the dining experience overall. Highly recommend.

Reviewed 26 June 2017 via mobile

We were walking in Waikiki and came upon this gem of a Japanese restaurant where we had a delicious lunch. They offer a set price lunch menu at a fair and reasonable price which I found surprising for Waikiki.
I had the wagyu beef hamburger steak and my friend had the shio dare chicken and both were outstanding. The set price lunch comes with miso soup, two pieces of sashimi, salad, rice, and Japanese side dishes. The side dishes were potato salad, hijiki, and marinated celery with a sesame topping. Everything was tasty and I felt the level of food was comparable to Japan.
The restaurant is modern, very clean, and the service was amazing. The servers were pleasant and attentive. We each put down a $20 bill and when the server returned the change was split in half which was very thoughtful.
Definitely plan to return sooner than later and will try their happy hour/5-6pm.

Reviewed 24 June 2017

My family and I went for dinner and were immediately won over by the service and the waiter advice re some of the meal selections. Everything we tasted was delicious and even though we initially thought we hadn't ordered enough we left very contented re quantity and the quality. Great little location reasonably priced. Some of the menu items we enjoyed were the grilled squid with the miso sauce, the wagyu sirloin steak and the lobster tempura. We could not fault any dishes on the night and the quality of the service was excellent.

Reviewed 23 May 2017

The clientele was very Japanese. There was only one other English speaking table other than ours. The sushi was very fresh and there were many items on the menu that I have never seen in the United States. I could have done without the slimy seaweed appetizer we ordered - but our waiter warned us that we might not like it. But we'd never tried it and we are always up for something new! Everything else was excellent and the service was very friendly, fast and helpful. We had a great experience! I hope to be able to return some day!

Been to Kaiwa? Share your experiences!