“Best Ramen I've Had!”
Review of AGU a ramen bistro

AGU a ramen bistro
Ranked #272 of 2,524 Restaurants in Honolulu
Reviewed 21 October 2017

This was the best ramen I've ever eaten. We live in Washington DC and were in Hawaii on vacation. In DC there are a number of acclaimed ramen shops, yet I've always been a bit disappointed. Though usually pretty good, it seems like there isn't one here that lives up to the hype. AGU Ramen definitely does. I had the Spicy Kotteri, my wife and father-in-law had the Chicken Yuzu and my mother-in-law had the Spicy Tonkatsu. All were amazing, though I think I like the Kotteri the best. The flavor was rich and garlicky, though not overpowering. Furthermore, our server Grayson was awesome - my in-laws were unsure about ordering (even my wife and I had a lot of questions, since the menu was different than any place we'd been), and he was super patient and helpful. The service, food and atmosphere were all outstanding!

Reviewed 27 September 2017

My daughter and I were craving ramen but it was hard to find a vegan-friendly ramen place in Waikiki. AGU offers a vegetable miss ramen dish which is made with just miso flavoring and no additional animal broth. We each got a bowl and their portions were huge! Tons of noodles, veggies, mushrooms, and broth. We cleaned our bowls up! Well..I helped my 6-year-old out ;) couldn't let a drop go to waste it was so good. We also ordered my daughter's favorite, agedashi tofu which was cooked perfectly and tasted amazing. I would definitely give this place a try, especially if you are looking for a vegan friendly option in the area. Also, the customer service was great, service was quick, and the place was clean. Can't wait to go back!

Reviewed 6 September 2017

Recently went here with some friends on a late Tuesday night. Parking lot for the place is horrible but there's a First Hawaiian Bank lot, street parking but difficult. We arrived after 8:30 pm but there was a line and we waited for more than half an hour, although there were seats available. Despite lots of seats open, they would not seat us. Three or four parties were seated all at one time. We were served promptly but then rushed out (less than 45 minutes) to accommodate the lines of people still outside. It just wasn't very classy to have us wait 45 minutes and then give us 45 minutes before telling us we need to leave to accommodate others. I guess we should not have paid our check so quickly.

I had the tonkatsu miso ramen which was very salty. Okay, but not great, given al the ramen places in town. My friend had the donburi which was also very salty.

Service was really bad and given the wait, parking problems, this would not be a return venue. Just not worth the wait and bad service. Maybe the Ward location has better service, but food quality doesnt even make this a possible option.

1  Thank sharkisland
Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

Wow, AGU takes ramen noodles to a whole new level. The broths are complex and there are a variety of different styles. I really liked that spice levels can be adjusted to suit your tastes. We each had four different styles and each were outstanding - couldn't pick a favorite , they were all fantastic! We will definitely be back soon!

Reviewed 30 July 2017

Some like their ramen in the Chinese or Korean style, that is to say very spicy hot.
I'm more a fan of the traditional Japanese style. In my opinion Ramen Nakamura across the street is better and less expensive.