“Giving 4 Stars as a CAUTION!”
Review of Maguro Brothers

Maguro Brothers
Ranked #221 of 2,577 Restaurants in Honolulu
Reviewed 20 October 2017

This is a wonderful tucked away gem of a place in Chinatown that has garnered 5-star reviews. So I was so excited to sample a super fresh premium sashimi donburi. You have 3 choices of grades of Maguro (ahi or tuna) - regular Maguro for $8.95, Chu-Toro (fatty tuna) for $10.95 and then their O-Toro (super fatty tuna) for $14.95. I decided to splurge and go for the O-Toro. Now O-Toro is not the rich red ahi that you normally see, but much paler - but it is suppose to melt like butter in your mouth. Wrong. The batch I received was not good. It was a bit stringy and in fact, one of the slices was so darn tough and stringy, I could not even eat it or chew it. My bad, I should have checked out what the fish looked like before I ordered - and if I had seen how stringy their o-toro was, I would have not ordered it. If I had stuck with their Maguro or Chu-Toro, I'm sure I would have been singing their praises like everyone else. So why 4 stars and not 1 star? The bed of sushi rice they put the fish on was perfectly seasoned with vinegar and salt and temperature of the rice was good. The person who took my order was super nice. The tamago garnish was delish. And the wasabi was fresh. The only bad thing was the fish - but I don't think that this is their norm - and I just think that at their price point, they should maybe stay away from trying to serve this high level of fatty tuna and just stick with the Maguro or Chu-toro. So my advise - yes - go! But don't order the O-Toro Maguro donburi at $14.25! Stick with either the Maguro or the chu-toro.

Reviewed 29 September 2017 via mobile

Ate here for the first time on my friend's recommendation - it's a small place with 12 seats in the middle of Kekaulike Marketplace, a produce & meat market in Chinatown - and the food was fresh & delicious! I had the Miso Toro (fatty Ahi), my friend had the Miso Salmon & we shared fresh clams seasoned with onions & green onions. The clams were quite tasty & both fish dishes were suuuuuuuuppper good! The fish were served with white rice & edamame. I will be back again soon!

Oh ... super reasonable prices & super nice staff too!

Reviewed 28 June 2017

bang for the buck, this is the best poke bowl value. you have to work to find it, but it's worth it. salmon bowl and chu-toro bowl are delicious. the kitchen is staffed with very friendly people.

Reviewed 10 May 2017 via mobile

This place was hard to find but we did and it was so worth it. It's in the middle of a outdoor indoor farmers asaian market in Chinatown. Inside the building in the back is the place small. The fish Poke was incredible it just melts in your mouth. We had the spicy version and the Hawaiian version on organic brown rice. If you like sushi it's a must stop...

Reviewed 1 January 2017

We'd been to the Maguro brothers location in Waikiki and decided to stop by the Chinatown location. It's located in the far right corner of the meat, poultry, and fish market. If you can manage the people, sights and sounds you'll be rewarded. We love this place