New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #42 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Ladysmith, Canada
“Waikiki Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

We just returned in Feb 2012 from our awesome Hawaii Vacation and the Ohana Waikiki East was a great location. Located right in the middle of the Waikiki hotel zone very close to the International Market and only a short walk to the beach. We had a kitchenette it was very small but enough space for 2, and having a fridge was a great way to have access to cold drinks. This hotel is very busy but the pool always had enough chairs to let you work on that tan. Very helpful and friendly staff we would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Cindy D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hilo, HI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

Front desk was overly conserned that i was checking in by myself. Had to give them my wife's name in order move the transaction along. They also commented on that she didn't show up during my stay, at check out. Strange.. Beds were alright, sheets cheap and itchy but appeared to be clean. Room size was good. Fitness center small and had a couple machines. Staff was using toilet and smelled the small fitness room up so i didn't actually get to use it. Pool only got sun in the afternoon for a couple of hours but close to ocean if seeking sun. Only ice machine in lobby. Without the location in Waikiki i would have given 2 star rating.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

We stayed here for our honeymoon in 2010 and returned for our 1st wedding anniversary in September 2011.

Again our stay was lovely, the staff were helpful and courteous, the location fabulous (waikiki beach 2 mins away, food pantry supermarket over the road, nearby to main shopping street and restaurants). We got upgraded to a kitchenette and the room was spacious, clean and well presented with lovely views, and bed very big and comfy! The decor might be considered a little dated but we're not too fussy about that sort of thing! As we had a kitchenette we bought our own breakfast foods from the Food Pantry ( I hear the hotel breakfast is a coffee and pastry in the coffee bar!) but Keoni's outside serves breakfast and there are plenty of places to go within a couple of minutes walk.

The only complaints I have again is that the walls are ridiculously thin to the point where you can hear everything going on in the next room! One night we slept with the air con on (and ear plugs in) to drown out the noise of the couple next door who'd had a few too many Mai Tais! I always make sure I pack my ear plugs for this very reason. To be honest we did research on other hotels in Waikiki via trip advisor and it seems a lot of hotels have this problem! Also we had an issue where the shower had to be run for about 10 minutes to get it anywhere near hot. A maintainence person came up immediately to look at the issue (he just said that it needed to be run for a while!) and we were offered a change of room but decided to stay put to keep our upgrade as it was near the end of our trip. It is also quite noisy being on the corner of Kuhio Avenue, there is constantly a lot of traffic outside but I think you would get this with most Hotels in Waikiki.

These things aside we feel that this is a good value, budget hotel in a great location and as we have so many good memories of it we are returning a 3rd time this yr to celebrate our second wedding Anniversary! Can't wait! :o)

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mrs_Ramjam
Ingersoll
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

My wife and I stayed at his property over Christmas 2011. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Although it is a little older it is clean and comfortable. The bathroom design could be better but it is acceptable. Our room had a fantastic view of Diamond Head and the skyline east of the hotel. We could also see some of the ocean. The security to prevent public access to the various floors in the hotel is the best I have ever encountered. The location was easy access to Waikiki beach plus the free rides on the 'pink' trolley gave us flexibility to see a good portion of Honolulu. A convenience store and restaurant (try the garlic chicken) on the street level was also beneficial. I would be pleased to stay at this property again.

Room Tip: Rooms over looking the street provide a great view and we didn't find the sound of the city to b...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Terry C
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

I enjoyed my stay at the Ohana East Hotel. For the first three nights my room was beside a very noisy elevator-which sounded like a rollercoaster going past. After complaining on my first morning I managed to change rooms, three nights later. Admired the professionalism by staff. The rooms are clean and comfortable. Loved the spa. Beware of the offers of a free breakfast and lunch. Was asked five times by different employees at the information / pamphlets area whether I was travelling alone and whether I was over the age of 28 years. Found out the hard way after agreeing to attend a free luncheon-making my way to the venue that it is to do with Time Share and you also have to sit through a two hour presentation after the luncheon. If you pull out last minute then they'll take $100 (USA) out of your credit card. This aspect spoilt my Hawaiian experience. In future I would book tours for Oahu in my homeland through my travel agent.

Room Tip: Rooms beside the elevators are too noisy especially if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo