5,754 results
All reviews beach bar the banyan tree rocking chairs tower wing beautiful hotel oldest hotel waikiki beach heavenly bed older part original building ocean view old hawaii diamond head new tower an umbrella heart of waikiki resort fee
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Probably the worst part about writing this review and the reason it has taken me so long to write (a couple of months) is that I do truly like the Diamond Wing of this hotel. We have stayed there many times; sometimes more than once per year. A couple of years ago we booked 2 rooms and brought our mothers with us. They loved it. We have always stayed in the Diamond Wing and have convinced many of our friends to stay there. But then again, we have always had good service and always felt welcomed. This time, we booked a 10 day stay in early February but we did not get good service, our room was run-down and the management response did not make us feel welcome.

This hotel has an older section (part of which was the original hotel on Waikiki beach), a newer tower and the Diamond Wing. We always stay in the Diamond Wing even though we know that it is not as nice as the rest of the hotel. We like this hotel’s location in Waikiki and we like this wing’s placement within the hotel. It is quiet on the ocean-facing side and has a beautiful view of the beach. Unfortunately, this tower and the rooms in it were not the best built nor the best designed and this wing never seemed to be as well maintained as the rest of the hotel. I used to joke that we stayed in the poor cousin’s section of this hotel (at top prices; about $400 per night this time).

Regrettably the wing looked even worse this time around. Perhaps the entire wing is being neglected because there is a plan to tear it down and replace it with a bigger better one; perhaps it was just our room that was neglected. Among the problems we found in our room, the patio doors went off their tracks every time they were opened and then were very difficult to close (I mean very difficult), the telephone buttons would not work on the base unit, the coffee maker was tippy (missing a foot) and spilled hot water, I brought only wireless devices with us but there was no wireless internet (in this tower only, the rest of the hotel has wireless), the air conditioner had no effect during the heat of the day, and the shower head sprayed in many unintended directions.

We also noticed a reduced standard of service on this stay. Normally we are greeted with either a flower or kukui nut lei. This time we got no greeting. The service at the Banyan bar/restaurant was poor (both slow and inattentive). The food and beverage servers around the pool had to be chased to get any attention. The hotel had lost records of our prior stays. The only great service we got and appreciated came from the room cleaners and from the food-counter attendant at the pool.

After a few days there, things were going so badly that we contacted management. Unfortunately, the hotel’s response was less than stellar. To be fair, we heard from three different people. Unfortunately, that just meant that we had to explain things 3 different times. When it was clear that we were not being heard, we wrote directly to the general manager and explained things for a fourth time. We also told him that we were leaving 6 days into our 10 day stay but hoped to hear from him. We did not hear from him and we did leave. Some 30 days after our return home, we received a letter from him which offered his apology and his hope that we would return again. The best that I can say is that I was underwhelmed by this response.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PanaramaRidgeCouple
Reviewed 17 April 2012

i was a little apprehensive about staying here because it's such a large hotel, which i really don't like, and the booking process can be very confusing if you have to change anything with packages.
there are so many different room types in differing wings, and to get connecting rooms you need a specific room.
i was a little peeved that when I added a room to my reservation, ie 2 rooms, the room rate for both went up! and then i had so many different booking references, 1 for each room and reservation, and THEY had failed to cancel one, and were threatening to charge me a full cancellation, even tho' i was actually staying and paying for two rooms! and this all before we got there. HOWEVER...we sorted it out and it was very smooth sailing from thereon.

the rooms are basic, we had partial ocean view, in the tower wing, it is a sideways view of the beach. the rooms interconnected which was great.

i am fussy about bed linen, and it wasn't nice. over starched, and the bed cover was hideously synthetic. but the bed was comfortable.

the rooms are very clean and the housekeeping was prompt, efficient and security conscious.
i wouldn't bother with breakfast packages, because the food is not amazing, and you are in the absolute heart of Waikiki.
this is a very, very busy hotel. there is quite a bit of noise from outside because of the street and beach, but it wasn't so bad i couldn't sleep. and it was vibrant to say the least. I think the drinking laws are very strictly adhered to, so there are not a lot of drunk teens wandering around, so at about midnight its considerably quieter.
all in all this is a great location, a tight ship, but a little commercial for me. but thats what you get in the hot spots. i would like to stay in the old wing next time for a more authentic experience.

2  Thank peggy8
Reviewed 16 April 2012

The last time we stayed here, we were in the old part of the hotel overlooking the street. The room was shabby and there was a lot of street noise so we decided to try the tower this time. What a difference. The room was large and everything looked new. The bathroom was fine-like an upscale motel room bathroom no marble or granite like a really upscale hotel. The best part was the bed. It was sooooo comfortable and the sheets were so soft. It 's the best hotel bed I've ever slept in. The only thing I didn't like about the room was that the closet is in the bathroom.

Our room overlooked the ocean and the courtyard of the hotel which made for a really nice view, but you could hear the band playing all evening, which was a little annoying when we were tyring to get to sleep. Unlike the street noise on the other side of the building that goes all night long, the band does eventually stop playing.

The only downside to staying here is having to be in line before 7:00 am for the privilage of paying $50 to reserve an umbrella on the beach at 7:00 when they start taking reservations. Every morning my husband found he was getting in line earlier and earlier and finding fewer umbrellas to choose from when it was his turn. It seems that guests who have stayed at the hotel for 10 consecutive years, get to reserve an umbrella when they check in. Some of the people seemed awfully young to have been coming for 10 years, but who knows. Some reviews have said that the pool is small. I think it's typical of hotel pools that I've seen in Hawaii. While we didn't swim there, the pool never looked overcrowded, although chairs seemed to be hard to come by.

With our Starwood membership, we were hoping to get a late checkout since our flight wasn't until 9:00 pm. That didn't happen, but they did let us use a courtesy room so that we could shower after the beach. The room was nice and clean and there were plenty of towels so having to check out wasn't so bad afterall.

The only thing that would make me think twice about staying here is the umbrella situation.

1  Thank Elainecde
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I loved the whole three nights that we spent here and wish we had longer. The hotel is amazingly beautiful - the banyan tree out the back is gorgeous and the views out to the ocean are unbeatable. We had a tower partial ocean view room and I was surprised how good the views actually were. We were on the 11th floor which was just high enough. The bed was so comfortable, I had a great sleep each night. We had breakfast included in our room rate which was pretty average but just sitting down there each day looking out at the beach made up for the very avearge food!!
I thought the $25 resort charge fee was fair - for this we got free parking across the road at the Sheraton, 2 bottles of water, unlimited internet, and one hour of international phone calls each day. Can't complain about that!!
There were a few negatives but for us they didn't detract from the stay. Firstly, check in took awhile. There was only one person working on the desk and a large queue at 5pm. Once checked in we didn't really have anything to do with any of the staff so can't really comment on their friendliness.
The bathroom in our room was fairly old and dated. The shower was over the bath and didn't drain properly so it was covered in sand when we rinsed off from the beach. The wardrobe is in the bathroom which is a bit strange.
Another negative is the street noise. On the first night it wasn't too bad and we could hear the waves on the beach. The next two nights were Friday and Saturday which were very rowdy on the street and annoying when you're trying to sleep.
We felt that the housekeeping left a lot to be desired. We only had it on the first day, left our tip and the toiletries weren't replaced and the bed wasn't made, the sheet had just been pulled up. So we put the Do not Disturb sign on the following day and didn't have them come in.
Even with these negatives I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. The location is amazing - right on the beach, across the road from shopping and a small walk to a tonne of different restaurants. We didn't use the pool or beach chairs as they were booked out by 7am each day. There was a queue at 6am one morning when I went down there of people lining up for a chair. We also loved having a cocktail under the banyan tree and listening to the nightly music and watching the hula dancer. I wasn't a huge fan of Waikiki itself but I did fall in love with the Moana surfrider so much that I would go back just to stay here!!

Room Tip: We stayed in a Partial Ocean View Tower room on the 11th floor which was fantastic!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We stayed at the Moana Surfrider while my husband was on a business trip, we did not pick the hotel and would not recommend it for families. The pool closes each night at 6:30, so no watching your kids swim after dinner to burn off some extra energy:( The rooms we stayed in were in the historic part of the hotel and were very small. The bathroom had only a shower, no bathtub. This is a very nice hotel for couples. There are lots of other choices for families staying in Waikiki. I would not recommend this as a family hotel however the location is great.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 520 and 508 and both are very small. 508 has a city view and 520 a water view.
2  Thank Hbsobkowiak