5,856 results
All reviews beach bar the banyan tree rocking chairs tower wing oldest hotel beautiful hotel waikiki beach heavenly bed original building ocean view old hawaii diamond head new tower an umbrella resort fee our honeymoon the royal hawaiian
Reviewed 25 November 2008

We spent six nights at the Moana Surfrider at the end of our honeymoon. The hotel was immaculate and well appointed, the staff were very friendly and helpful. The terraces, restaurants and beach bar were great, if not a little expensive. The central location with easy access to the beach, shops and restaurants made this a fantastic choice for our stay.

Date of stay: November 2008
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aloj
Reviewed 20 November 2008

I got a good deal on this hotel on a stay 3 pay 2 deal thru Escape Travel. This is my favourite style of hotel and it's location with direct access to Waikiki Beach was a selling point. The Bar which has the most lethal mai tais is smack back under the 105 year old Banyan tree and on the beach. The rooms were magic and the beds divine. The rooms are not the largest I have stayed in but I was quite happy as it was only me. She s a beautiful hotel and if you can afford to stay here, do. Even if it is for a couple of nights.

Date of stay: July 2008
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank wildflowerb
Reviewed 20 November 2008

Our daughter's wedding was in Honolulu, and we booked a room for her and her husband at the Moana as part of a Japan Air Lines package.
The hotel is gorgeous. The bride and groom's room was on the 20th floor of the Tower Wing and had a wonderful view. They were totally satisfied with "the best hotel room they have ever stayed in." That opinion was , perhaps, glossed by the fact they were honeymooners.
We spent a lot of time in the lobby and at the Beach Bar. The lobby is a pleasant place to meet and chat. The Beach Bar offers decent drinks and food and a wonderful atmosphere. Although some reviews have complained about the high prices at the bar, we found them to be no more than we pay for drinks and light meals in Japan where we live.
I definitely recommend you take advantage of the free one hour tour of the hotel offered 3 times a week from 5:00 to 6:00. The guide gives an excellent presentation of the history of the hotel and shows you some of the more beautiful and historic features of the Moana. Our tour ended on a lanai watching one of the most beautiful sunsets I have ever enjoyed. If you watch carefully, you will also see "the green flash" at the exact second the sun drops below the horizon. Of course, that is not a Moana Surfrider exclusive, as you can see it anywhere that you can watch the sun set below the horizon.
I would recommend against dining at the Beachhouse Restaurant. We had the wedding dinner there, and the best I can say about it is that it was almost mediocre.
The filet mignon was dry and fairly tasteless.The plain white rice was absolutely inedible. It was defintely the worst rice I have ever tasted. Of the 14 people at the dinner, I was the only one to eat more than one bite.
The chocolate spring roll dessert was chokingly sweet, but the creme brulee and coconut cake were judged well. The coffee needed to wash down the excessive sweetness was average on the first cup, but the second tasted like lukewarm water run through old coffee grounds for the third time. They do have a very nice wine selection though, so just about anything you choose will be good.
However, there are much better restaurants in the immediate vicinity, so if you want good food go somewhere else.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank miharashi
Reviewed 9 November 2008

This hotel was far and away the most expensive place we stayed on our recent trip and, for the price you pay, you should expect something very special.

And it is really. We had a room in the tower - fantastic view over Waikiki Beach to Diamond Head, beautiful bedding, huge TV, spacious room. My only puzzle was the towels - they were small, threadbare and smelled of bleach - an odd omission.

The hotel is lovely to look at - very old fashioned and romantic - lots of great places to sit - the rocking chais on the front porch, the lobby area, the porch around the banyon tree - all very pleasant.

The location is fantastic too - right on the beach. The pool is quite small and seating is limited but you can book chairs from 1pm the day before - there is no charge for this and really worth doing (although usually by the afternoon there are chairs coming free).

We only ate at the beachside bar and really the food was very average, very expensive and on plastic plates etc. I recommend the Outrigger next door - we had a very nice breakfast there one day and dinner on another. We also had a very nice meal at the Cheesecake Factory two doors down.

This hotel is very popular for Japanese wedding parties (and you can see why) - expect to see half a dozen every day!

I was there with my children and they loved the hotel too but it isn't really child-friendly. An elderly Japanese man even got told off for playing with his small grandchildren in the pool (quite sedately), which I thought was quite over the top.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Kiwi_on_Hols
Reviewed 5 November 2008

To say the Westin Moana Surfrider is all about the location is a crime! Granted, it's location is unbeatable- but the hotel offers soo much more.

When we arrived we were kindly greeted with purple flower leis and a cold glass of ice tea, which was much needed after a long day of travel. We were originally given a ocean view room in one of the towers. After looking at the hotel room, we new that our room was not one of the recently renovated rooms. We immediately asked to be transfered to the "Historic Wing", which is the original Moana Hotel and were more than pleased with our accomodations. Our room was a city view on the 4th floor, very clean and nicely decorated with a flat screen TV. The only issue is that the rooms facing the street tend to get a little loud at night with the noise from the street. As a young couple, this didn't really bother us too much but I could see how it could be a problem for those having a hard time sleeping at night through noise.

The beach house buffet is amazing. If you have the money, and the appetite, absolutely eat at the buffet-- this is the best breakfast buffet we ate at during our trip.

The pool area is rather small, and seating is extremely limited. My wife and I woke up each morning and were able to get two lounge chairs together for the day. You can also reserve chairs for the following day starting at 1:00pm at the poolside towel cabana. I would definitely suggest doing this if you want a chair.

The Moana Surfrider is a beachfront property, and although the beach is rather skinny, it's the best strip in Waikiki. There's plenty of sun and plenty going on right on the beach; surf lessons, canoe rides, sunset cruises etc.

My favorite spot at the hotel are the wooden rocking chairs on the balcony facing the street. Nothing like people watching in the morning with a cup of freskly brewed Kona coffee!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple