Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa
US$329
US$429
Elvoline
  • Beachfront
Pearl Hotel Waikiki(Honolulu)(Great Value!)
US$288
US$216
HotelsClick
Hotel Renew(Honolulu)
US$227
Cancelon
  • Breakfast included
OHANA Waikiki Malia by Outrigger(Honolulu)(Great Value!)
US$1,523
US$1,421
Cancelon
5,493 results
All reviewsbeach barthe banyan treerocking chairstower wingbeautiful hoteloldest hotelwaikiki beachheavenly bedolder partoriginal buildingocean viewold hawaiidiamond headnew toweran umbrellaheart of waikikiour honeymoon
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 December 2017

Stayed for three nights. This is a grand hotel. A piece of time/history restored and maintained to the highest standards. The historic section is just that! The history of the hotel is very interesting. Take the tour. Centrally located with great convenience to the beach, shops and other restaurants. If you looking for a cheap bargain...not here. If you're looking for a sophisticated and historically significant hotel...this is it.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 December 2017 via mobile

Nice enough hotel although the rooms are quite small. We went on a cruise after visiting here and our cabin was bigger tbh. Also, they charged me twice on my credit card and even though I have called them 3 times... being hung up on once...! And, emailed them nobody has come back to me to discuss this and arrange a refund!!! Not very good when I am a member of their SPG club as well! I will be taking this matter further but certainly won’t be wasting my time by trying to contact the hotel again.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Matt W
StarwoodWaikiki4, Manager at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2017

Aloha Matt W,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us at the Moana Surfrider. We have reviewed your feedback very carefully, and regret to learn that you had a less than memorable experience during your stay with us. We will be sure this feedback is shared with our management team so that they are aware of your comments.

We would like to follow up on the charges placed on your card. And do apologize that someone on our team has not be in contact with you. Please leave us a detailed email at 374guestexperienceteam@westin.com regarding your reservation and the charges in question.

We hope to have the opportunity to regain your confidence and welcome you back to the Moana Surfrider to experience the true meaning of our motto, "First Lady, First Class."

Me Ke Aloha Pumehana (with warm aloha),
Karen W.
Moana Surfrider, Guest Experience Team

Reviewed 4 December 2017 via mobile

I’m a lifelong Marriott guy - and when greeted with the Marriott property options in Waikiki - I wasn’t too sure where to stay. So I started looking at SPG properties and found the Moana Surfrider. I was reluctant to book a non-Marriott property, but my status transferred over during the merger, so I had nothing to lose. Plus, the hotel sits right on the beach and when in Hawaii - that’s what you expect!

We arrived via a private car and once we got out, there were no bellman or valets to assist us with our luggage. Our driver had to remove the bags and call for someone. At that point, two gentlemen came over, one for bags and the other with leis. Even our driver seemed shocked at the lackadaisical staff. And this wasn’t the only negative thing we encountered with the guys at the valet stand, but I’ll get into all of the negative things we noticed during our stay towards the end.

Upon check-in, the gentlemen who greeted us was very welcoming. He informed us about the hotel and the items our status afforded us, to include a room upgrade. He offered us to rooms, which we decided upon a smaller room in the historic wing because of the ocean view. Overall, check-in was quick and easy!

Our room was small, but like mentioned above, had an amazing view. It was a very cozy room and we overlooked both the beach and the courtyard, so every night we had the pleasure of listening to the live music wafting throughout the property as well as the waves crashing against the shore! The bathroom was also on the small side, but that wasn’t an issue for my wife or I. Housekeeping was great and prompt every day, as well super-friendly!

The beach and pool areas were very nice and well maintained. For the most part, the staff in those areas were helpful and friendly. I’d recommend renting the beach chairs instead of the cabanas! Because when at the beach, your toes must be buried in the sand!

We ate at the Veranda at the Beach House and the Beach Bar during our stay and both were good in both service and food. The buffet breakfast option was underwhelming for the price, but their açaí bowl was amazing. Try the poke nachos at the bar.

My wife had a few treatments at the spa, and we also spent a few days just enjoying the spa facilities. Although on the small side, the spa facility was nice, as were the staff. The men’s side had two lounges, one with leather chairs and a TV, which is rare for spas, but cool nonetheless. The rear lounge had a great balcony to hang out on and watch the people and sunset. My wife said the women’s side was similar, but without a TV lounge. Each side also had showers, steam rooms (wet and dry), as well as jacuzzis.

The Beach Club Lounge, which is for SPG members and those who pay - which is something I wouldn’t recommend doing - was horribly underwhelming. The options for breakfast are sparse and not really that good. The same goes for the evening snacks/food. It seems the only good thing about the Lounge is the outdoor seating areas- beach facing. If you don’t receive this benefit as part of your SPG status, don’t waste your money. There are better breakfast options at the numerous coffee shops within walking distance. We only used the Lounge for the cold bottles of water.

OK, so the negatives...

The staff, save for a few, didn’t welcome or greet us daily. They were all lost in their own worlds. At first, we thought maybe this was just how things are on the Island, but after visiting a few other hotels for dinner and drinks, we soon discovered this seemed to be a Westin Moana problem. The valet guys were always laughing and joking and were indifferent to the people coming and going. I watched many people come and go with bags - us included - and never once did the gentlemen in the front offer to assist.

I’ve mentioned the underwhelming Club Lounge, and I can’t stress enough that if you’re paying, it’s not worth it unless is like $10 or something similar. Any more than that is a rip-off.

On the morning of checkout, we called down for a bellman. After 20 minutes we gave up and lugged our luggage down to the front desk. At that point, I was asked if we needed assistance with our bags. Of course, I told them no and explained that I had requested assistance but no one ever showed up. I received an apology, but it didn’t seem sincere. At the very least, he should have called the bellman over immediately to take our items out for us. But alas, that didn’t occur.

That’s all of the bad things! And in the long run, nothing too horrendous. But we were expecting a better welcoming atmosphere. Or at least friendlier staff! And I know I used the word, “underwhelming” a lot, but honesty, that’s exactly what this property was - a little underwhelming. But honestly, the room, location and views were hard to beat!

So if you’re a Marriott or SPG member, this hotel offers a lot for your loyalty. And even if you’re not, this property is really nice and has tons of history. As long as you don’t expect friendly or helpful staff, or are least indifferent to that type of service, you won’t be disappointed at the Westin Moana Surfrider.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Brandon S
Reviewed 2 December 2017

We stayed for 8 nights from 16 November 2017 with a room in the Banyon Wing with a Juliet balcony. Not disappointed at all. Everything about the room and hotel is 5 star class. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff. We will definitely be staying here again. Fabulous. Live music finishes at 2130. Air con in rooms very quiet

Room Tip: We recommend the Banyon Wing for its history but the Juliet balcony is a must.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank balgownieQueensland
Reviewed 2 December 2017

Recently we stayed at Moana Surfrider and absolutely loved it. Its right on the beach close to a lot of restaurants.
I left my phone while getting off the Shuttle bus from the airport and i thought I had lost it for ever but the staff at the hotel had taken down the rego of the bus and called him back and go my phone delivered to me.

Staff are really friendly. They is a beach club with limited breakfast options but it was very convientient. we did love sitting and enjoying a few drinks there before heading out to dinner.

Definitely staying back there

Room Tip: On the beach great view of the beach. Swimming pool is tiny but who needs the pool when you have the whole Ocean
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple