“Dinner, too!”

Maplewood Kitchen and Bar
Ranked #15 of 2,048 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Reviewed 14 February 2018

I was first introduced to Maplewood Kitchen at work when a coworker offered me a leftover boxed lunch. As the best boxed lunch (Mediterranean chicken salad on a fresh, flaky croissant with house-made pickles, mini lemon cookie, fresh fruit cup, tortilla chips and charred tomatillo salsa. Died, gone to heaven) I've ever eaten, I was eager to dine in. I love the atmosphere with its soaring ceilings, and the mix of wood, leather, and white furnishings accented by fabulous light fixtures. But I digress.

Since then, I've returned a few times for lunch with friends or business associates, and have always thoroughly enjoyed my meal and the service. Last evening, I joined a friend for dinner and was blown away by the organic salmon entree with bell pepper, onion, bacon, corn, mizuna, quinoa, smokey tomato sauce. Ooooh, so good. The cashier told me it was her favorite entree and I am so glad I trusted her. I could eat this dish again and again.

1  Thank G8041WMjanet

Reviewed 12 February 2018 via mobile

Went for Sunday brunch and the place was slammed, with the line out the door onto the sidewalk. All things considered, the line did move fairly quickly. Busy urban vibe, clean, bright, big windows looking out onto the street. I had the Chicken Hash, which was ok, but I had the feeling it had been scooped out of a big serving tray. Was not hot, or crispy as if it was individually grilled. Fortunately the two over easy eggs on top warmed it up. Mint Morroccan tea was good. Our dining companions had the pancakes which were huge, with fruit, powdered sugar, and several things to dip into. They also had these incredible looking Bloody Mary's, not my thing, but looked amazing. Service was very good, although, you pay first, which means tipping before the meal even starts unless you have cash - not my preferred way.
Summary - great room, very good service, not overly impressed with the food, but I would certainly give it another chance when it's not so overwhelmed.

Reviewed 11 February 2018

We went for breakfast. To start, we were thrown a little off balance. To place an order you walk up to cashier order and pay up front. Make sure you are ready to order before going to the cashier. From there you grab your drinks and pick out a seat. They will bring you the food when ready. It was pretty fast.
We went for the eggs/bacon/hashbrown and pancakes. The eggs were fantastic and hash browns were crispy. Most breakfast place under cook hash browns. The pancakes tasted great but really sweet. They seem more of a dessert than a breakfast food. We didn't have any drinks but by looking at the menu and bar set up this would be a great place for brunch and a drink.

Food - Great
Atmosphere - Nice. I like the open room
Service - no complaints. I enjoyed walking up to place my order and food came out fast.

I recommend this place for breakfast or brunch.

1  Thank Scott_Y895
Reviewed 8 February 2018 via mobile

Great fresh food. Good wine and beer selection. Wonderful downtown spot for a quick bite before theater. Like the fresh casual concept. Very attentive friendly staff

Reviewed 6 February 2018

Location: Downtown Cincinnati. Street parking is available but metered. It doesn't look like parking is really a problem around here but it wasn't quite 10 a.m. when I went so it may be a different story later in the day.

The place: Pretty big, lots of wood - reminds me of a country kitchen. They've got booths, regular tables and a bar. Great music - none of this generic radio nonsense. If I was in town for work, I could see myself working here - very chill vibe.

The goods: So, after eating my face off at Jeff Ruby's the previous night, it was mind boggling that I woke up starving. I'm still trying to figure out how this is even possible! I went for the Eggs Your Way that included 3 eggs, toast (rye, I think), hash and bacon (or sausage or something called guetta - I may be spelling that wrong). First of all, my plate was huge. I mean, this could be two breakfasts for me. Th bacon was crispy as I requested and it was fantastic - for someone who rarely eats meat, if ever, I can't explain why I'd been craving bacon for like, 3 weeks. It's not because my body's short on fat. Anyway, the hash was great - nice and crispy on the outside but not at all dry on the inside. The eggs were good but they were borderline cold which led me to wonder if they make a batch of scrambled eggs in advance. The coffee was good, though not as strong as I'd like. The green juice is awesome!

Service: Great - the fellow who took my order was really nice and friendly, and told me where his favourite murals were after I told him I did street art photography. Very cool!

Price point: It's a little steep. The main was $12 - which would be more OK if the coffee was included in the price (2.50 for filtered coffee). The green juice is $8 which is also a tad steep. All of that said, I really liked the place and the food - and I should have checked the price of the green juice before ordering!