“Gotta love Venice”

Venice on Vine
Ranked #817 of 2,019 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed 10 August 2017

Stopped in to grab some lunch. The staff was friendly and helpful. The sandwiches are good. It may be the last bargain meal in OTR on Vine St.
This restaurant helps the local community, while providing good food.

Reviewed 23 June 2017

In the heart of Over the Rhine's renaissance district, this tastefully decorated restaurant offers delicious pizza, hoagies, and lasagna. The staff offers outstanding service and are comprised mostly of people who have been given a hand-up to get back on their feet. Held to a high standard, most workers have been offered educational tools to be able to make a positive contribution to society and to earn a living wage after having existed on the margins of society. Most of the attractive decor inside the restaurant is from recycled materials.

Reviewed 3 October 2016

Sometimes, I remember that lunch is only one meal. A few minutes to get away from the office & decompress before returning to the mind numbing order of the day. I generally don’t care what I have for lunch, because I’m often at work & don’t always have time to savor it. It doesn’t necessarily make a difference to me. But it isn’t always about me either.

I had passed Venice on Vine repeatedly, but never stopped by until today because I was up in the neighborhood for something else. I had looked into it before as a possible place for a quick slice, but never got around to visiting. I went in, hoping for a slice or two, but panicked when there was nothing on the heat pans ready to go. So, I instead ordered a meatball sub & went through a curious process in payment of using my debit card & PIN AND being asked to sign a receipt, when usually it’s one or the other.

The sub was good: I won’t rave about it, but it was served pretty quickly & was affordable ($6.50 for an 8”). What is most admirable about the place is its mission. Venice on Vine is under the umbrella of Power Inspires Progress, an area non-profit that helps those with “chronic barriers to employment” get job training in a real world environment. We live in an era where homelessness is far more prevalent than it should be, when people don’t always have the best track record in terms of education, or they’ve had other setbacks that have slowed their career trajectory. Helping a cause like that is worth a few minutes wait for a pretty decent sub.

Reviewed 29 July 2016 via mobile

Great homemade sausage. sauce and dough. Home grown herbs and served with great customer service. Reasonable prices, speedy and in the heart of OTR.

Reviewed 20 July 2016

Pizza crust and sub buns were prepackaged and tasted like it. A member of our party found plastic in their pasta and we barely got an apology. Food was edible and relatively inexpensive. But, as a visitor to the town, we just didn't feel welcome.