“Quality vegetarian fast food”

Amma Vegetarian Kitchen
Ranked #36 of 204 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Reviewed 25 May 2017

If you're vegetarian - and even if you're not - this is the place to eat! You'll get freshly made vegetarian Indian food, within a semi-fast amount of time, and it's relatively inexpensive.

Reviewed 26 February 2017 via mobile

Not absolute best, but the best Chole Bathoora nearby. Wish they open a branch in Rockville that could help the Maryland crowd.
But absolute best for indian Sunday Breakfast.

NEED A BRANCH IN ROCKVILLE!!!

Reviewed 4 February 2017

Amma's kitchen has better food than some of the other south indian joints in the DC area. My order of rawa dosa met expectations! their coconut chutney is delicious. We had hot samosas while we waited for the rest of orders on a very bus Friday evening. The samosa were decent, more so because they were fresh. Our thali type meal was ho hum - the avial dish was as per expectations of a kerala joint, and not too spicy/hot. The rasam could have been far better, it appeared to be tamarind water. The sambhar was tasty tho had a sweet after taste. if you talk to Ashok Bajaj of Bindaas he explained the sweetness of local indian food is because the umreekis expect or like it! Most of the time the sambhar in india is not sweetish, I am told the Karnataka version could be. Oh well! The idly order was warm but did tasted as a massed produced quickie version.
I would visit Amma's kitchen again of course. I wish they would do away with styrofoam dishware. Prices are reasonable.

Reviewed 27 October 2016 via mobile

My daughter and I were craving authentic vegetarian South Indian cuisine as a special treat. Having read the positive reviews and seeing the desi crowds at this highly recommended restaurant, we were shocked to see that all the food was served on styrofoam plates and bowls. Styrofoam cups for drinks and plastic utensils on plastic trays. We had already ordered and paid so we were stuck, though I did request that our food be served on anything else (paper, steel etc) with no luck. The food was mediocre at best. Everything was the same dull brown color with just red pepper as flavoring. Avoid the rasam and samosas entirely! Actually avoid this restaurant entirely if you care about the planet you live on!

Reviewed 19 September 2016

Clean, but pretty basic dining arrangement - chairs, tables and styrofoam plates, bowls and cups. All the items that we tried were reasonably good - Onion Rava, Idli Sambar, Dahi vada and tamarind rice; Salt lassi, mango lassi and coffee. Items are also reasonably priced. It is a self-service place and periodically long waiting lines (we were there on Sun noon). As long as your group is ready for a everyone-eats-when-their-order-is-ready experience, you should be good. Unfortunately for us, to add to this challenge, my daughter's order was 'accidentally' taken away by some other customer (wonder if they were too hungry to wait for their turn, like the rest of us). But the beauty is that even when we informed the guy at the counter, he was apologetic but said he was helpless to get our item until after another 12-15 customer orders could be completed. After an additional 25 mins, when we asked him to cancel that item, he was unhappy, so we boxed the item as my daughter was in no mood to eat alone. I would have to be pretty close to starvation to head back up to a place that does not even attempt to fix their own screw-up.