“Get rid of the styrofoam, please!”

Amma Vegetarian Kitchen
Ranked #37 of 204 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Reviewed 2 October 2017

It was my first time at Amma Veg. Kitchen: OK food, but the all-styrofoam plates, cups, etc. frankly ruined the whole meal and experience. My friend and I ate less, it actually made the food unappetizing. I think I ended up dumping about half of the food into the trash -- and could barely fit the contents in, there was so much styrofoam in the trash bin!

I haven't encountered so much styrofoam in many, many years. It was nauseating.

Please: We're in the 21st century now: Styrofoam is wasteful, tacky and (more importantly) dangerous. Here's a quotation from Wikipedia which gives an idea of the harm that it causes to the environment and peoples' health -- the risk increases when styrofoam touches hot food or liquid:

"The EPA and International Agency for Research on Cancer consider styrene a possible human carcinogen.[9][10] The American National Bureau of Standards Center for Fire Research found 57 chemical by-products released during the combustion of expanded polystyrene foam.[11] On July 1, 2015, New York City became the largest city in America to attempt to prohibit the sale, possession and distribution of single-use polystyrene foam"

Ama's is a vegetarian restaurant -- WHY would you serve your food on single use styrofoam, which is a potential carcinogen?? It makes no sense. For carry-out orders, fine: But not for those eating in your restaurant.

Finally, I've eaten at many Indian restaurants in the US and elsewhere, and have traveled on extended visits to India four times -- but I found the menu difficult to figure out. More pictures, please, together with verbal descriptions.

In any case, until Amma's reverts to normal cutlery (other than plastic!) and replaces the styrofoam serving platters and cups with ceramic or metal (similar to what most modest restaurants in India use!), I doubt if my friend and I will be returning to Amma's. A shame, as I would like to patronize more veg restaurants in Northern Virginia...

1  Thank ChristyG320

Reviewed 11 September 2017

Amma is one of the better South Indian restaurants in the area. Actually, there is a dearth of south Indian food places and this makes this place all the more appealing. The prices are very reasonable. We ordered the Idli, Vada, Plain Dosa and Masala Dosa dishers. The Idli had good texture, was soft and fresh enough. The Vada was just good too, the inner batter was well cooked. The coconut chutney that came with the dishes tasted a bit stale. Seemed like it was prepared a day or two earlier. The Sambar soup was too thin, with not much lentils. It did not taste like a true south Indian sambhar. This will be good for someone on a diet. The plain dosa was too thin. The whole dosa was pretty crisp. normally one would expect the outer part to be crisp and inner part thicker. This was not the case, it felt like I was eating an Indian pappadum. The Masala in the dosa was fresh and tasted good. Not a bad place to get South Indian food in the area.

1  Thank Sundncr
Reviewed 31 August 2017

After a super workout...I headed over to Amma's...thinking this would be like my mom's dosa and my saaambar vada. Turned out to be such a lousy let down. the vada was not crunchy on the outside. its taste too bland-not enough daal in the dough. Saala making too much money....

Reviewed 24 June 2017 via mobile

The plates they use for dosas they use is made from styrofoam... that can't take the heat and melts leaving toxins in your food. I have pointed this to them before but no one cares... hence the review...

1  Thank smutreja
Reviewed 31 May 2017

All I knew about this place was that it is a vegetarian restaurant when we stopped in on a rainy Saturday afternoon. I am not too familiar with South Indian food but knew I liked Masala style dishes. They had a Tikka Masala special on the board so I ordered that. My husband ordered Ibli something along with the Amma Feast as we felt that would give us a sampling. I do wish they had paper menus because I would have taken one to my table and tried to figure out what we were eating! When we ordered, we ordered at the counter and they only have one laminated menu with dish descriptions. The guy behind the counter wasn't too helpful. But the place had a constant stream of customers, couples, families. They did serve everything on Styrofoam. The food was very good I thought. It is nice to have an entire vegetarian restaurant menu to choose from. We had some good laughs over some of the items, or more accurately, our taste bud reactions to it, like one relish dish tasted like salty lemons! But we left stuffed and both the special and Amma's feast was served with a large rice portion. And all for $31. There were 4 of us We drank water.