“Resting on their laurels”

The Majestic Yosemite Hotel
London
“Resting on their laurels”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

This place has the feel of a hotel that could be amazing -- but has chosen to rely on the setting to astound it's guests. Yes, it's probably difficult to run a hotel in these surroundings, but no that doesn't give you an excuse to overcharge and it doesn't mean you can't upgrade the rooms to the 21st century (just putting a TV and an empty fridge in a room doesn't count). Yes, the tonnes of non-guests who spend their day in your main hall are a bit unsightly, but no, barking at a guest for taking of his soaking boots by the fire for some momentary warmth is not the way to treat your paying guests. I could go on -- average food, upselling of brunch on arrival etc etc. I really wanted to love this hotel, and the only reason it is getting as many as three stars is because of the amazing customer care we were given by the wonderful Yonnie who checked us in, served our tea and to cap it all looked after our baby while we had dinner. If the hotel could be staffed by 50 Yonnie's then they'd sort themselves out. Until then... I'd think about staying somewhere else and come and look at the views without paying the premium. Yosemite -- amazing. Yosemite with snow -- double amazing. Ahwahnee -- less than average. Vote Yonnie

Room Tip: Find a room without a fridge... they've skimped and not bought the silent running ones
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
GnrlMgr, General Manager at The Majestic Yosemite Hotel, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Dear LondonRuralTravel,

I was sorry and disappointed to read that you feel that we are resting on our laurels. The Ahwahnee has been taking care of Yosemite visitors for over 85 years; I am sorry that we failed you.

Operating a National Historic Landmark in a historic district, in a National Park can be quite challenging. We work with the National Park Service, who own the building, on the design elements of the hotel and focus on what they call the "period of historical significance" which is from 1927 to 1940. While we are able to provide some modern conveniences like the flat screen televisions and the refrigerator, other aspects are a challenge. I can appreciate your perception that hotels in our price range typically offer luxurious opulence. I believe we offer historic elegance.

Now, this doesn't give us a "get out of jail free" card when it comes to the service or experience we provide. It is unfortuante that we actually need to have signs posted at our impressive fireplaces asking guests not to dry their wet clothing and shoes so that all guests may enjoy the fireplace, we find that we need to, from time to time, remind some guests of this. However, this message should be delivered in a gracious and diplomatic way. I assure you that "barking" at our guests is not acceptable and I do not tolerate this. I am hoping you can provide some more detail so we may coach the associate who is responsible. You can share this detail with me at barcher@dncinc.com. In addition, if you could provide some specifics about the average food, I would like to share them with our chef.

Thank you for your kind words about Yonnie. She is a rock-star and has been a part of The Ahwahnee team for quite some time. I will be sure to pass along your kudos.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience; feedback is an important tool to help us get better. I hope to hear from you.

Warmest regards,
The Ahwahnee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (708)
  • Korean first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

I get it, you're in a National park. In my experience, most of these places are overpriced, and I'm okay with that. However, for what you pay at the Ahwahnee, not to mention the fact that they tout themselves as a luxury establishment, I expected more. The customer service is terrible and the hotel services are rudimentary.

- Regarding our dinner reservation: they were adamant we could not push our reservation back, even though I asked two days ahead and again at check-in. We had to eat at our original time, or not eat at all. However, the dining room was, at most, 3/4 full all night. Really? Couldn't find a work-around for us? Oh, and the food was uninspired at best, bland at worst. It's not fine dining, although it is priced as if it was ($235 for two); it's simply passable.
- Regarding room service breakfast: They forgot to ask for our room service number when we ordered, and apparently don't have any sort caller ID, so after an hour of waiting, we called them back and were informed that the food had been sitting and waiting for us to call and inform them where to deliver it. We said bring it over, but make sure it's hot. They brought it over COLD. After we complained the charge was taken off, but: cold breakfast, an hour late.
- We stayed in a cottage, which is about is about a 70-yard walk to the main building. It was snowing, and when we arrived someone was clearing the walkways. However, it seems the guy whose job it is to keep the walkways clear gets off at 5.00, because they were covered with snow the entire rest of the evening. Keep in mind that you have to dress up for dinner, which meant that my guest and I had to spend the evening in wet dress shoes.
- The rooms, at least the cottage rooms, have minimal space for your things. Bags sit out on luggage stands, you have to stash your robes elsewhere if you expect to hang anything else up, and don't plan on putting anything out in the bathroom, because there is no counter. Most of my toiletries sat on the floor.
- For a place of this size and price, I would expect them to have a spa and fitness center. They have neither. Want to stay inside and have a few cocktails instead? It's over $20 for two ... hope you brought some cash.

I have no problem with paying a lot for quality accommodations and service. I also understand that accommodations in our National parks are isolated and expensive to maintain and service. However, the Ahwahnee failed again and again. All of the above happened in less than 24 hours. All of it was preventable, except perhaps for the quality of the food - and I would not have bothered to write a review simply for so-so food. This is not a luxury resort; it's a fancy building (in an admittedly breathtaking setting) that gets by on location & reputation.

Room Tip: The cottage rooms are quiet and have beautiful views. However, the walkways are not maintained in ba...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
7 Thank JenniferEJ
Good afternoon JenniferEJ,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I was disappointed and embarrassed that we let you down. I assure you that it is not my intention or goal to just get by on our location or reputation. My guests' experiences are important to me. I would love the opportunity to speak with you imore n person. If you would be so kind to email me at barcher@dncinc.com with your contact information, I will reach out to you. Thank you.

Warmest regards,
Santa Clara
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

Before booking our stay at The Ahwahnee, I was hesitant due to the mixed reviews I read. I am very pleased to say that I have no regrets.

What made our stay memorable were such things as the box of chocolates that were waiting for our arrival along with a welcome note in our room. Then in the bathroom there was the standard shampoo, conditioner and lotion plus face soap which was an added nice amenity.

They also offered with room service a box lunch for the next day. You just need to fill out the form and hang on your door before midnight. It is on the pricey side $27 but a nice convenience if you want it all taken care of for you.

And lastly, the location is perfect. You can wake up and get to your hiking destination very easily.

Thank you Ahwahnee!

1 Thank sleepmunster
Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

We spent 1 night a the hotel and had such a wonderful time. The bed was like sleeping on clouds and the robes so wonderful that we each shelled out $125 to take one home. Watch out for the grumpy lady in the gift shop though! You must try the delicious truffles in the sweet shop and make sure you eat in the restaurant. The views were freakin great. A really nice place to come back to after a long, cold day out.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a balcony so you can enjoy the view even more!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank samjr_7
GnrlMgr, General Manager at The Majestic Yosemite Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Good afternoon samjr_7
I am so glad to hear that you had a great time here at The Ahwahnee. The truffles are great; they are my downfall! My favorite is the Dark Chocolate Raspberry. I may have to run over there once I hit "submit" and buy one.

I am sorry to to that you encounted a grumpy associate the Gift Shop. I am hoping you might be so kind as to email me at barcher@dncinc.com and give me a description so we can have the opportunity to coach her. We expect all of our associates to practice and display gracious and friendly service; I apologize that she failed us.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and look forward to hearing from you.

Warm regards and safe travels,

Glendale, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

Staying at the Ahwahnee was a dream come true. My husband and I had visited it in the past and had eaten in the dining room and enjoyed drinks on the patio. But being an actual guest in this grand hotel was an extra special treat. The bedroom was spacious and comfortable with a beautiful view of famous Half Dome. We took advantage of the docent tour of the hotel and were fascinated by the drama and conflict involved in the designing and building of this architectural wonder. Friends and family were staying nearby at Camp Curry, but were welcomed to join us for drinks and snacks in one of the public rooms. We celebrated our 35th wedding anniverary and a niece's 40th birthday all at the same time.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Yosemite View Lodge
Yosemite View Lodge
#1 of 2 in El Portal
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,661 reviews

Been to The Majestic Yosemite Hotel? Share your experiences!