The William Holden Animal Orphanage seemed like such a good idea. When we arrived we were greeted by very enthusiastic employees. We then went for the mandatory 2 hour talk. It provided very little information about what the orphanage aims to achieve and seemed to be a case of "Look how amazing Stephanie Powers is". Then came the Q&A session. None of the questions could be answered, and he did not seem able to understand very simple questions at all. Then we had a one hour tour of how biogas is produced. That was incredibly dull. We found out that they recycle all of the toilet water into drinking water, and the system was tested once, decades ago, and have not been tested again since. Would not recommend drinking from the tap there. After 4 hours of mind-numbing boredom, we were finally taken to see the animals. Just to warn you there is not a large variety. Most of them are bongos or monkeys. Also, the monkeys bite. The cheetah are pretty cool, but the cages are tiny. The animals are all very obviously distressed as they pace their tiny cages, and seem to be dead behind the the eyes. At the end of the day can the cherry on top, "please donate what you can to the up keep of this orphanage". The employees seem oblivious to the irony of asking unpaid volunteers to donate to the running of an animal orphanage owned by a multi-millionaire American Hollywood actress.
All in all, not worth visiting. Don't encourage the animal cruelty this place endorses.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With magnificent views of majestic Mount Kenya, the Fairmont Safari Club's 120 luxuriously appointed guest rooms, set in over 100 acres of landscaped gardens, offer a unique blend of comfort, relaxation and adventure. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com and Expedia so you can book your Fairmont Mount Kenya Safari Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairmont Mount Kenya Safari Club Hotel Nanyuki
- Fairmont Mount Kenya Safari Hotel
- Mount Safari Club Kenya