Hotel La Colonia
  • Restaurant
Hotel Astor(Retalhuleu)
La Cupula Hotel(Retalhuleu)
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 24 July 2016 via mobile

We stayed here on our way to Antigua, the hotel was impeccable. The room was clean and nice, beds were comfortable, A/C was hard to figure out, but the temperature comfortable. The pool was nice at night. The restaurant was really nice, especially the service provided by Capitan who speaks great English! We highly recommend this place for anyone being in the area.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2015

I took my family of 8 here for two nights this week and we had a great time. The pool was very clean, well lit at night and the bar food was good.
The hotel itself was super clean, we had adjoining rooms which worked out fantastic and the A/C was cool all night long.
I would stay here again without question.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Jay R
Reviewed 9 April 2015

We stayed during Semana Santa without having a reservation and the staff were very accommodating - they worked hard to find a room for us and were always helpful. The property is gated/fenced, with armed security guards (common in Guatemala) and we felt very safe letting our older children explore alone. The wifi was excellent (even better than at the IRTRA hotels!). The pool had a lot of chlorine which we appreciated. Hot water for the showers any time of day.

We stayed in a room by the pool and later in the "Canadiense" bungalows in back that were larger with 3 beds - did not have a single insect in the bungalow, loved it. They are raised up on "stilts" so that might explain the lack of insects. For only Q20 each we were able to bring guests in to swim at the pool with us, and when we brought 20 in the staff were very accommodating. There is a private pool/party area for rent very cheap as well. Soccer area and playground area were fun too.

Besides IRTRA, this hotel was the only other one we could find in Reu up to our American expectations (which are quite low compared to other Americans). Some traffic noise could be heard, as well as barking dogs but you would hear that anywhere you stay in Reu.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank TravelingOnTheCheap
Reviewed 22 June 2012

I loved my stay here. The rooms were clean and comfortable with a/c and cable tv. The great part, for me, was that the grounds have a park ambiance....brightly colored tropical plants, giant trees, lush green foliage...with pretty pathways to the pool, reception area, and restaurant. It is very easy to relax and unwind here. The food was great, especially the fig pie. Galgos busses stop here on the way to Tapachula and Guatemala City...you can even buy a ticket here. Local busses will stop on the road in front of the hotel to go into Reu or up to Xela. They can also call a trusted taxi driver; my trip with him was 100 Q for round trip into Reu's Trinidad shopping center and he stayed with me while I went to get supplies and change money, showing me the best places to go for the things I needed. It is recommended to only use taxis when the driver is known to be safe. As a woman traveling alone I felt extremely comfortable here. After staying a couple nights I kept extending my stay here. Its an easy day trip up to Xela. All of the staff were very nice and helpful. I am definately coming back here on my next trip to Guatemala.

Room Tip: The rooms near the back of the property are quiet and tranquil. The rooms near the front of the property get some noise from the traffic on the highway.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Lori B
Reviewed 7 April 2011

I returned to La Colonia after two years, this time with my wife. I wanted her to experience this hotel because of an extraordinarily-pleasant earlier stay back in 2009.

Things didn't go quite so well this time. The receptionist seemed indifferent and appeared to be chewing gum. It really highlighted the importance of a mature, personable and friendly receptionist in creating, projecting, and preserving a positive image of a hotel.

I found the rest of the staff, especially those who worked in the comedor, to be friendly and accommodating.

La Colonia is still a first-rate hotel, but for me the shine is gone.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple