See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 13 December 2014

We learned about this hotel through a friend. We were on our way to the coast south of David, but we thought it would be nice to escape the heat and bugs for a night in the mountains. I have always been fascinated by the International Park of Peace (La Amistad) so when I found out this hotel had cabins within the park, I had to see it. We vaguely knew how to get here, but I knew it was up, so we just kept climbing and climbing until suddenly we ran right into it. We sat down for a cup of coffee (grown on site) hot chocolate for the kiddies (made on site) and quickly realized that we had found something special. The lodge is cozy, has tons of books, ping pong tables, chess, checkers, and an assortment of other games to keep the family entertained on a chilly night. We wanted our own fireplace so we decided on a suite. Wow! it really was sweet. The view from our room overlooked the property and the steep mountains around the small town of Guadalupe. The huge master bedroom was really comfortable, the huge bathroom with solar heated hot water was perfect. The best part was the family room. The kitchenette, futon, porch, and of course fire place made the experience. We strolled down to dinner. The entire salad bar was created from food grown on the farm, the cheese was made on site as well. We were fortunate enough to meet the owner, Carlos. Through our conversation we learned that the hotel is part of a permacultural project. He employs a a tremendous amount of people in town. The conserves a huge tract of land, and is constantly trying to come up with new project to increase the sustainability of his project. The food was delicious too! The kids loved the laid back feel of the place( strawberries and cream did not hurt either!)
The next morning we went on ride up the mountain in a trailer pulled by a tractor. The terrain was super muddy, rocky, and wild. My 7 year old loved it! We arrived at the upper cabin and went for a short tour, we were met by 50 hungry hummingbirds, happy to give us a show. After that we sloshed up to a waterfall. The guide had a great demeanor about him, and it was obvious that he loved his job and was grateful to have the opportunity to be in such a beautiful place.
We were supposed to leave at noon, but simply could not. It is like a dream that we just did not want to end. Our kids rowed the little boat around the lake, swung on the swings, played legos, ate marshmallows with strawberries, pet the horses, rode their bikes, explored the gardens, and cruised through town. I will be back, next time I plan to stay a bit longer!

Room tip: Get the suite for the perfect blend of luxury, comfort and relaxation, or if you really want an adventure, go for one of the cabins in the park. They are out of this world, literally!
Date of stay: December 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Lokshire
Reviewed 27 December 2013

"Las Orquideas" Bed & Breakfast hotel is located in the community of Bajo Grande, Cerro Punta. Sorrounded by well-maintained gardens and a relaxing atmosphere, just a few steps away from Cerro Punta Main Street but far enough to enjoy pure nature and avoid noisy trucks, this an excellent place to stay. Between the amenities they offer are garden trails, small river, breath-taking sorroundings, hot water, comfy beds, T.V. with DVD Player, Mama Jennys chinese cuisine Restaurant and others. This last one has variety of traditional chinese plates with friendly prices to your pocket. Definitely an unforgettable experience, I will visit again this place and is fully recommended.

Room tip: If you can get it available, There's only one 2-floors 2-independent-rooms cabin that I highly recommend for wheter stay with your family or friends.
Date of stay: December 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jero420
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I did not have reservations and just happen to drive by and ask for directions to the quetzal trail. It looked real nice there and I decided to spend the night. The grounds are beautiful with flowers and plants all around. The room was clean and I had a great night sleep. It is also a Chinese restaurant so that worked out great. I had a great meal there. The owners were very friendly and helpful. I highly recommend this place.

Date of stay: November 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Ray N
Reviewed 8 June 2012

We passed Las Orquideas coming up to Finca Dracula. On our way down, we were tired and wet, so we gave it a chance. In the "way out there" rural area surrounding Volcan Baru, we found a perfect comfy room with bath, a charming Aunt Jenny as a host, and a great Chinese feast for dinner. She has a pretty garden, with a creek running through. It felt like we were in a fairy tale. A thoroughly pleasant experience.

Date of stay: May 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Ken M
Reviewed 13 February 2012

We spent a night here recently and really loved it. We have visited this area many times in the past and have stayed in the very funky and cheap Hotel Cerro Punta. This is a much nicer option. There is a river running through the back and the yard is planted with lots of flowers.
It was a cold and rainy day but even so we got to see some great birds at the end of the road. Even a pair of Quetzals.
The real high point of the day ( better than quetzals if that is possible)was our dinner. We gorged ourselves on dumplings, hot noodle soup, and a huge plate of spicy pork.
Our room was very clean and the bed was warm and cozy. I would have liked the water in the shower to be a little hotter.
We will most certainly stay here from now on.

Date of stay: February 2012