All reviews function room dual carriageway charity event golden wedding requested a ground floor room mince pies daily specials arriving late friends room cheese and biscuits christmas lunch rail station children's menu an industrial estate change rooms bunk beds each evening
Reviewed 5 June 2017

We booked our stay at this hotel because we were attending a function. We booked for two nights and stayed in room number 22. The room was clean and well presented, although in need of refurbishment. The room would also benefit from having a coat peg in the bathroom. Room 22 is also very close to reception and due to this we we're awoken by general chatter earlier than we would have hoped for. The room was also very warm so we opened the window. We soon had to close the window due the the traffic noise coming from the busy road just yards away. A good reason for air conditioning I think.
On a positive note we found the staff to be extremely friendly and most helpful, with one exception which I will come to.

We ate in the bar on the first evening and everyone on our table thouroghly enjoyed their meals, so a big plus for that. On the Saturday morning we had breakfast in the dining room and once again the food was very good. We were the only couple in the restaurant which lacked a sense of atmosphere. Some background music would have nice.
As part of a large party, the hotel decided to put on a buffet style breakfast which was fine. My main issue was with a member of staff who came across as the matrede. My wife spoke to him asking for a poached egg. His response was "no, we can't do that as we are far to busy" in a rather curt way. Not what you would expect to hear. I also
spoke to the same person asking for some toast. Again he was rather curt in his response and slow to deliver. I would question if the hospitality industry is right for him or not.

My overall impression of the hotel is that it is in need of some refurbishment and redecorating.

Would I stay there again? Possibly.

Would I recommend this to others? Mmmm, not so sure about this.

Whenever I write a review I always try to be objective and as positive as I can be and that is why I found this review more difficult than others I have written. I wanted to give a better rating but it was just a few things, that when put right, would make all the difference.

Stayed: June 2017
Tony C, Owner at The Cedars Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2017

Thank you for taking time to review the hotel. We do appreciate your positive comments and also welcome your feedback where things have not gone so well so that we can try and put things right.
I was most concerned to read your comments regarding the breakfast service and can assure you that this a long way short of the standards that we aim to provide. The member of staff concerned has since undergone 're-training' to avoid any repetition of such poor service which is completely inexcusable. Please accept my apologies.
If you do have occasion to visit us again we do have rooms on the quieter side of the hotel and are always happy to try and accommodate such requests.

Reviewed 4 June 2017

My husband and I along with 50 friends and family have just celebrated out golden wedding here. It was really lovely, the staff were all so friendly and halpful. Special mention though must be made of Sharon, Shelley, Sian and of course Pete and Zoe who presented us with beautiful food. Many thanks to you all.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 May 2017 via mobile

We stayed for one night for a family party in town. I can't recommend this place enough. From the moment we checked in we felt at home. All the staff were so helpful and couldn't do enough for us. We ate in the bar before we went out and all was good despite them also catering for a big event there that evening. We paid extra for breakfast as option wasn't available on booking.com. Well worth it, they even had vegetarian sausages. Really nice place, room was comfy and had everything we needed.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2017

Stayed for one night arriving late, managed to get dinner and a drink before bed, I had the steak and mushroom pie which was nice, chef mic (microwave) heated the veg up like little lusters of lave so Sasn Miguel was there to dampen the heat, partner had fish coujons which were nice too. The room was basic(one in the picture with the red chair!), comfortable bed but the walls were so thin I could hear the chap next door picking his nose! Breakfast was adequate but was disappointed the sausages were re-heated, if we were in the area we would stay again but ask dor a different room.

Room Tip: Take ear plugs :-)
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2017

I was passing by Stowmarket Town by a side of a lovely countryside and stayed at the Cedars Hotel.

By tomorrow then I was trying to catch a taxi but the hour being busy time of the day catching a taxi was not easy. Then the very owner became willing to drive me to the work place.

This is now going above and beyond, even the meaning of it, I thought.

With many thanks and kind regards
EA.

Room Tip: It was nice.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business