“Very poor customer service...”

Speights Ale House Wanaka
Ranked #26 of 91 Restaurants in Wanaka
Price range: US$5 - US$23
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Wanaka Speights Ale House is situated on Ardmore Street next to Bullock Creek and across the road from Lake Wanaka. The outdoor decks afford all day sun with a picturesque view of the lake. Indoor/Outdoor dining is available with a wide variety of gastromeals on the menu.
Reviewed 13 January 2018

Been to Speights in Wanaka, many times. Great place, great food, esp the nachos!

Never ever felt like I had to write a review until now...went to grab some beers, and as I sat down my girlfriend, who was at the bar, was asked for ID, by we think the bar manager Angus (Not sure if this is his name).

However, the way in which he SNATCHED the ID from her was pleasant. Asking for ID is all fine and well, but when I was asked for ID by my girlfriend he shouted across the bar as I was lifting it out to give to my girlfriend who was at this stage taking it from the table next to the bar, to him. He then inspected both IDs for a second time, thoroughly, and then dumped the IDs and pints on the bar without saying a word.

Both my girlfriend and I have worked in hospitality and catering, managed bars and restaurants very similar to this one, for roughly 10 years each. We know what it’s like. But it wasn’t mental busy. It wasn’t necessary to act like this. I know this isn’t much to complain about but, during all of this I was able to look at another staff member by the glass washing pit and she could tell this was abnormal! She was just shy or shocked or too inexperienced to speak up, to her boss that was not being a good role member...

But anyway, not here for a free anything or what not, just here so something can be done before it happens again! I’m more than experienced to know the difference between good and bad service.

charlotte k, Public Relations Manager at Speights Ale House Wanaka, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2018

Our apologies for the treatment you and your girlfriend received the other day while you were in our establishment. The staff member mentioned has been spoken to about his customer service and treatment like this will not happen again.

Reviewed 13 January 2018 via mobile

Very busy, peak holiday time. My partner had steak which he liked but I had soup which was served luke warm. Staff run off their feet, would not be my choice to here here again in Wanaka.

charlotte k, Public Relations Manager at Speights Ale House Wanaka, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2018

We are sorry to read your comments about your soup. If you had mentioned it to our wait staff they would have rectified that immediately. Wanaka is very busy at this time of year and staff everywhere are working very hard to ensure customers have a pleasant experience.

Reviewed 10 January 2018 via mobile

Called here on our last night in Wanaka & decided on burgers - 1 beef & 1 blue cod. The food is good, it's not amazing, but is certainly good and that is reflected in the price. The staff are mainly young girls but they are great at their jobs and interact well with customers (those that want to anyway!!)

We enjoyed our night here and will return on our next visit to NZ

Thanks for your comments. Anything that has Blue Cod is extremely popular at the Speights Ale House so you made a great choice there.

Reviewed 9 January 2018

Great Place and menu selection.... comfortable setting really captures the relaxed setting of Wanaka with our the pressures of Queenstown.

charlotte k, Public Relations Manager at Speights Ale House Wanaka, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2018

Wanaka is definitely a relaxed, chilled out version of Queentstown - just how we all like it. Glad you enjoyed our menu selection and we hope you enjoy the rest of your time in Wanaka.

Reviewed 4 January 2018

Relaxed and comfortable food-orientated pub in a modern unit overlooking Lake Wanaka.

Friendly waiting staff and an interesting menu encouraged us to move way for the more typical traveller’s fare. So Mrs D went for a lamb shank, and I went for the Lamb Fry (liver and bacon).

Both came with mash and gravy in a hearty portion. Good, solid pub grub. We also had the chance to try a couple of beers here - there’s a good choice and explanation. Nice beers, but as with all New Zealand beers, they are served a little too cold to really appreciate the taste!

Anyway, good food, good atmosphere. NZ$60 including drinks. Recommended.

Thanks for your comments. You both chose 2 very popular dishes from our menu - which are both tasty and well portioned. I love your comments "but as with all New Zealand beers, they are served a little too cold to really appreciate the taste" as we as a general rule do like our beer cold.... can't imagine it any other way :) Safe travels for the rest of your holiday.