See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 6 March 2015

I am at least once a year here since 8 years and it is not keeping a 4 star standard up. especially disappointing was our business dinner at the restaurant, the girls didn't even manage to keep the beer glasses filled, food was slow, served too cold. the table cloth was dirty to begin with. the quality of the dishes was not like before. we have been here with the mayor before and it was very good but this time ...no, won't be back for a while unless it changes.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 August 2014

This hotel present a good level of confort and cleaning in Taicang city. Checking out took long time due to a problem with the computerized system, the black out was probably an isolate event and personnel adequately react in order to allow us to left in a short time. English language level of the personnel of the reception was good, courtesy may be improved. The room was good, no noise at all and plenty of varius confort. The shower was not excellent, probably due to a low water pressure, but cleaning level of the restroom was adequate. A good desk was also present into the room, allowing to consider the room a possible temporary business place. Summarizing this hotel is suggested.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 October 2012

Hi, I come to this area for work about 5-6 times a year for the last 7 years and many more in the future. I have primary stay here. they call it a 5 star hotel, but I would not call it a 5 star hotel in the USA but for this area i would call it a solid 4. it's clean, the people are freindly and the breakfast is not bad. I've also stayed at the Ludu Hotel and the four points hotel all in this general area.

when the four points opened up, they had very competitive prices for the first year and after that they raised them significantly. The four points was certainly nicer, got points, and the breakfast was very western. I do not think the new price is worth it.

the Ludu hotel is a local hotel which is the closest to my work, but i would call it a 2 star hotel and not worth the cost savings. As i write this, they are building a new ludu hotel which i will be interested in trying once it's complete simply for the proximity to work.

the holiday inn just opened up last month in the "city center". i walked by it the other nite and looks nice. i was told the price is more than the garden. maybe we will try it in the future simply because their is more activity "city center" including a wall mart across the street!

overall the garden has been good to me over the years and it's good for the price. one more thing, if you've never been to asia the beds are all hard at all the hotels across china I've ever stayed at, even the most expensive hotels.

Room Tip: every night and morning the chance of fireworks are great. this is everywhere and at every hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 December 2010

After being in a 4 star hilton in Shangia last night the thought of a 5 star excited me. But what a disapointment. The hotel is dated and very cold. There is a dirty feel to the hotel and it certainly isnt 5 stars. I would say a good 3 at best. The chinese restaraunt was well recieved by the chinese clients, but from a european I have been accustomed to at least some meat on the bones. The people speak small amounts of english and are very welcoming. I speak no chinese, so I appreciate their patience.
It is well sited for work so I cant complain. oh by the way the pool is closed and has been since october <maintaince>

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank worktingtraveller
Reviewed 28 October 2007

You would only be staying here because you have to come to Taicang for work right? The Garden Hotel is a quite decent 3 to 4 star hotel but it's no Hyatt. This is my 4th visit, and while the Garden hotel is one of the dullest places I've ever stayed it makes the business trips to Taicang bearable.

Staff are friendly and have a bit of english. Most of the foreign guests are German or Japanese (I'm an Aussie). Everyone, smokes everywhere, even at the breakfast table.

The 'gym' is not worth bothering with. The business centre is adequate if you need to print/copy something but the pcs are all set up for Chinese only. (Well, you are in China). Broadband is free in the rooms but a bit slow.

The in-house Japanese restaurant is the best place to eat, particularly if you are alone.

The rooms are spacious, decrated in the ubiqotous chinese/faux colonial decor, the beds are as hard as a rock. A 'deluxe' room gets you a seperate shower (rather than over the bath) and a decent sofa and is worth the extra money.

Enjoy your stay in Taicang. I recommend you bring your own oxygen.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank beagle5