“If you're in Holbox go to Milpa.”
Review of Restaurante Milpa

Restaurante Milpa
Ranked #2 of 109 Restaurants in Holbox Island
Description: Restaurante dedicado a la cocina mexicana de vanguardia ubicado en el centro de isla Holbox. Se diferencia del resto por presentar y preparar los platillos tradicionales de nuestro pais de una forma única y diferente en Holbox. Ingredientes frescos, locales y regionales que te harán disfrutar de una velada única en un marco incomparable.
Reviewed 9 August 2017

My wife, our 25 year old son, his girlfriend and I just spent two nights on Holbox. Like many we went to see the whale sharks. The whale sharks are unforgettable, but I can honestly say that Milpa is as well.
We have been very fortunate in life and have been to half of the Michelin 3 star restaurants in the US and several throughout Europe. If Milpa was in a city where Michelin rates I am confident it would receive at least one star. For this to be the case in a remote area like Holbox is the greatest restaurant surprise of my life.
Fortunately, we asked our hotelier for the best restaurant in Holbox and without hesitation he suggested Milpa. When I asked what type of food it serves his response was perfect. "Art. Its just art. You have to go to understand."
I made my way down at 4pm on a Saturday and made a reservation, which was smart because both nights we ate there we saw more than a handful of guests turned away. Our first night, Saturday, we were astonished. The menu is small, but ambitious and creative. Every dish was thought out. The presentation spectacular. The taste to die for. I'm not going to get into the specific dishes but if you go, make sure one person orders the "infusion" appetizer. You will see why. If Alinea knew about it they would add it to their mix immediately.
And here is the real kicker. After two drinks each, appetizers, and a full entree each, our total bill, with tip was $120!! Of course we came back the next night and each added a desert this time and the total was $140!! Foodies know this is about 35% of the cost for one person at many Michelin restaurants in the US.
Go to Holbox for the whale sharks, but if you do nothing else, go to Milpa. Art. Its just art. You have to go to understand!

PS----I'm a pescatarian. My wife is a vegetarian. There were plenty of choices for the two of us.

2  Thank markparkinson5

Reviewed 4 August 2017

Milpa is a little gem on Holbox Island - the food is amazing and, although pricier in comparison to other restaurants on the island, it is not overpriced in my opinion. The dishes are beautifully presented and taste even better - each dish is explained to you as it is being served. A really fantastic experience - would thoroughly recommend.

Reviewed 22 July 2017 via mobile

We were for a dinner. The menu is very interesting because the chef use some local ingredients. The food is excellent and the presentation so creative. The waitress explains each dish. You might want to make a reservation because the restaurant is small and has a limited seat.

Reviewed 10 July 2017

For my birthday this year, we found ourselves on Isla Holbox. I had asked the people at our hotel where I might have a good birthday meal. They suggested Restaurante Milpa. I was not disappointed. The preparation and presentation was flawless. While we were looking at the menu, the waitress brought us a complimentary soup. Delicious. My wife and I split an appetizer of the Infused Sphere. For the main course, my wife had the fish with chili confit and tomatoes, over potatoes, with a subtly, tasty foam. I had the duck, which I will not describe other than to say "order it." My wife does not drink. but I had a cocktail (a Mojito). We again shared a desert, It was good, but not memorable (a poor excuse for my memory). At any rate, the service was attentive, the chef is a hero, and the ambiance was really created by the food itself. Go.

Reviewed 5 July 2017

After reading all great reviews, we expected the best and we weren't disappointed. A bit over priced but the combination of service and food were so good that we didn't mind the price. We had a great night. Thanks.