“Comfy room, warm and welcoming lodge”
Review of Pipers Ski Lodge

Pipers Ski Lodge
Reviewed 10 October 2016

A cosy, warm place to spend the night! My room was beautiful and warm on arrival, and I had a fantastic sleep. I enjoyed the lodge- communal lounge space with fire, bar, shared dining room and little extras like a drying room and hot tubs. I wasn't there for skiing but would stay here if I return to the area! I felt at home here, and enjoyed the communal feel to the lodge.

Room Tip: Ensuite family room had plenty of space and a good warm shower!
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
bruce998, Owner at Pipers Ski Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2016

Many thanks for your review Annabelle, much appreciated.

Reviewed 29 September 2016 via mobile

There is a great atmosphere. Staff are so friendly and helpful. They seem set up for us. Kids loved the hot tubs and the games room. They have been telling me they want to stay longer. It's not super fancy so I feel like I can just relax.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family

Really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us in the lodge. Nice to know it suited the kids as well as being relaxing for you as well.

Reviewed 20 September 2016

This was a 2 night quick family trip to the snow for my birthday. Yes, thats right...21 again :)
We stayed 3 days here. We only had the opportunity to go skiing on day 2. Most in our group have never seen snow since we live in Australia. So we hoped like hell that the weather cleared enough for the ski fields to open on the lower mountain. Well luck was on our side, not only was the mountain open but it had snowed right in the National Park. Pipers was surrounded in snow! Best birthday to me ever!
We really enjoyed the casual and communal atmosphere. We found everyone friendly and happy to talk. There were 2 groups of students (one quiet large) during our stay. I must pass on our thanks to Pipers and the Schools involved..both groups were friendly, respectful and well behaved. It was wonderful to see them having fun.
The lounge is a wonderful place to hang out. Free Tea/Coffee/Chocolate. Roast a marshmallow or 2 over the large open fire.
Ski/board hire and clothing hire is available at a reasonable price on site. Shuttles are available too from Pipers to the Mountain.
We received an upgrade because the owners werent there to check us in when we arrived a little early for check'in. It was so much appreciated! The ensuite was a god send. It wasnt at all expected or necessary, but Im so glad we accepted :) The owners are so helpful. They are happy to chat and mix with their guests.
Pipers itself Its a little dated, though pretty well maintained. I think thats what makes it special. It has a rustic quaint charm.
2 of our 3 rooms were a little cold. Maybe it was the heating to 2 of our rooms or maybe its just sooky Kiwi/Aussies? But either way, I wouldnt hesitate in staying here again.
Its a great place at even better prices.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family

Thanks so much for your review. It was special with the snow.! Happy to have shared your birthday with you.
Cheers Dianne

Reviewed 20 August 2016

I was quite looking forward to an adhoc trip to Whanganui stopping off at National Park over night. The drive from Auckland as usual a great trip. I appreciate that Pipers is a ski lodge so did not have huge expectations as I would do a normal hotel.
Booked via Trivago and got a good price and decided to add breakfast for an extra $20. Well that was a mistake as the breakfast we certainly not worth $20 with poor selection of buffet and a set plate for breakfast which if i was there just for skiing would have been very poor value to set u up for the day. Stayed in a twin room, beds too small and uncomfortable. Staff mainly working overseas people and taking up all the seats closest to the warm open fire. Very friendly crew though so stayed for a few beers and some table tennis.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled on business
bruce998, Owner at Pipers Ski Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2016

Hello Robert, Sorry our accommodation did not fit your expectations . Thank you for your feed back.

Reviewed 5 August 2016

We stayed at Piper's for a week and although the weather was not conducive to skiing every day the owners were very helpful in giving us information about alternative things to do. Although this is not the most modern property, it is clean and run by a wonderful couple who will do all they can to make you feel welcome and enjoy your stay. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
0.2 km away
Plateau Lodge
Plateau Lodge
#1 of 9 in National Park Village

Been to Pipers Ski Lodge? Share your experiences!