Lowest prices for your stay
US$276
View deal
Reserve now, pay at stay
Official Site
US$210
US$301
Hotels.comUS$301
PricelineUS$276
TravelocityUS$301
All reviews infinity pool sitting area spa area mountains zugspitze sauna
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 September 2020

Certainly, the hotel is quite nice - beautiful garden, nice pool, clean, modern room. But - in this price class, one cannot help but to expect just a bit more. The hotel doesn't wow, and the food is rather mediocre. Some illustrations of this: in a hotel with such aspirations, you should be entitled to freshly squeezed orange juice, not canned juice poured from a mcdonalds-style juice dispenser. A single espresso machine serving the whole breakfast area leaves you no choice but to wait in line. (A coffee machine in the room would also have been welcome, or a mini bar.)
But these are details. Where it fails to meet expectations most: this is very average Austrian cuisine. Lots of salt, cooked-to-flat mash vegetables, thick and overly rich sauces, cream added to too many soups and desserts... this is not modern, light, and fresh cooking one expects (for this price tag) today.
Still giving it for stars, but for this price level, one should be entitled to five.

Date of stay: September 2020
1  Thank mannheim2017
Management response:Responded 26 September 2020

Dear mannheim2017.
Thank you very much for your review. I´m happy to read that you liked especially our garden, pool as well as our rooms.
Regarding your remarks:
We do offer freshly squeezed orange juice for a fee and we do not have one single espresso machine serving the whole breakfast.
We do offer our guests the possibility to order their coffee / espresso etc. on their table as well - for this we do have a second machine in our kitchen. We also do offer a mini bar filled according to the wish of our guest (only on request).
You are right that a mini bar or coffee machine are not in the room "automatically". We will think about your proposal - thanks for this remark.
I´m sorry that we did not meet your expectations regarding food. Honestly spoken this is a very difficult topic as eating is a matter of taste and it´s not possible to meet the taste of everyone. We try to offer typical & traditional Austrian cuisine (which includes rich & thick sauces, cream soups...) as well as international dishes.
Once more THANKS for your review and I wish you all the best & stay healthy

Reviewed 16 July 2020

Location couldn't be better : a little outside of the village of Ehrwald, with beautiful views on the surrounding mountings, Zugspitse included.
A nice garden with lounge seats and a modern swimming pool. Wellness facilities are also top notch.
The hotel is a very good starting point for various hikes and neighbouring villages Lermoos and Biberwier are but a couple of km's away. When weather is bad,
a trip to Garmisch Partenkirchen is a good option, as it is only +/-20 km away.

To make use of cable cars in the nearby region, you better buy the Z-Ticket active card.

Parking space is included, but the car of our friends was scratched (probably by nonchalant guests).

Concerning the location, just in front of the hotel, there was a construction site, including a crane. A shame, the hotel direction didn't warn us before we reserved our holiday.
This construction site caused noise disturbance, when resting in the garden in the after noon.

The room was as expected : spacious and clean. The air vent in the bathroom was broken, so the room and mirror after a shower were damp. The room had a large terrace, but with only one lounge seat (we were 3). Free Wifi was available, but not up to modern speed standards.

No extra's were available in the room : in other mountain hotels, we could make free use of a backpack, drinking bottle and hiking sticks. A refrigerator was also missing.

The biggest disappointment was food and service, which was unworthy of a 4 star hotel :

Breakfast was just ok, but no extra's like 'Sekt' or pancakes...

We generally had a cocktail before dinner : the waiter, with tattoos and earrings, brought something that looked like an Aperol Spritz but contained more ice cubes and water than anything else. After complaining to the lady owner, she brought us other drinks, that were up to standard.

Personnel was sometimes absent : one evening, we had to wait for more than half an hour before the first dish arrived. I personally had to get up and ask what was going on.
We would suggest hiring a maître d'hotel supervising the service, and keeping the waiters awake and alert.

A typical menu was : salad bar OR starter dish, followed by soup, main course, and dessert (and/or cheese).
The salad bar was the same every day and totally inspirationless.

During our stay of 9 days, they served us 2 times the same starter dish : a trio of tapas that was nearly uneatable.

I am wondering the owners taste there own dishes? (like the saying goes : "eat your own dogfood")

Paying the amount we did, we expected to have delicious meals, as we did in other hotels like the 'Hubertus' in Olang or the 'Waltershof' in Val D'ultimo, but boy, what a disappointment.

One suggestion to the hotel direction : fire the cook!

Our conclusion : An hotel with great potential, but a no-go for us in the future, as long as service and food stay at this level for this price or make it a 3 star hotel.

Date of stay: July 2020
2  Thank 505jackyd
Management response:Responded 17 July 2020

Dear 505jackyd.
First of all thanks for taking your time to write this review and we are happy to read that you liked the location with its nature & mountains as well as our wellness facilities.
I would like to comment your points as follows:
* you are right there is a construction going on in front of the hotel at the moment. We are building a new underground parking for our guests (by the way this is a wish for a long time from our guests) and our staff will get new rooms (this is a big concern of ours).
Unfortunately you cannot finish such a project in the off-season. Of course there can be a noise but in this regard I would like to mention the words of another guest "I´ve never seen such a quiet construction site before"...and I think you have seen and heard that we and the construction workers do their best to avoid any unnecessary noise.
* regarding the broken air vent in your room: we apologize that the vent broke during your stay. Why didn´t you tell us that it is broken? It would have been a 5 minute repair by our facility staff.
* no extras available in the room: I´m sorry but that´s not true what you are writing. You can get a backpack, hiking sticks or a refrigerator FOR FREE. You just have to ask for it at the reception or give us a call and then we are pleased to provide it to you.
* in general I would like to tell you that for us it does not matter if our staff members do have earrings or tattoos, if they are locals or foreign colleagues! It doesn´t matter at all! We are open minded. I really do not understand why you mention this detail of one of our colleagues because it does not matter!
* regarding the Aperol Spritz which had too much ice in it I think we did what should be done - you got new ones (without any discussions) and everything was fine.
* I do apologize that you had to wait too long before you got your dish. In the work hectic it can happen even if it should not. Sorry for that.
* Thank you for your comment regarding the salad bar. We will work on it and change it accordingly for the future. Thanks
* twice the same starter dish: We - my wife and me - noted this too and we talked to our kitchen staff already that this will not happen again.
* Do we eat the same dishes as our guests? YES we eat the same! And it is NO dogfood!
Eating is a matter of taste and I´m sorry that we did not meet your taste. BUT I think to give us the suggestion to "fire the cook" goes too far as we did not meet your taste but the taste of many many other guests... I think you should be careful with such suggestions.

One thing I´d like to mention is that my wife, me, our reception staff and our service staff asked you several times if everything is fine. Even at check-out I talked to you personally. Your answer was always "yes, we are fine" with one exception when one of your group said "I don´t really like the food but that´s my taste..."
To use your words "boy, what a disappointment" "what a shame" that you did not talk to us personally during your stay. Many things could have been solved very easily which would have led to a better opinion about our hotel.
I´m a fan of personal conversations because they have a lot more depth in comparison to an anonymous review posted on an internet platform.
We would be pleased to welcome you at our hotel again and we would be pleased to have a personal talk to you :)

We wish you all the best, have a good time and stay healthy.

Best regards

Reviewed 16 July 2020

This is an absolutely immaculate, exceptionally friendly place. It is perfect for those seeking to hike, climb, bike, or skiing in the nearby area and then come back to a relaxing spa and great food. The Spielmann family runs it and their personal touch and warmth to guests makes it a special place. The spa and sauna facilities are outstanding for a hotel of this (mid) size. We stayed for for three nights in room 101 from July 12th-15th. A wonderful hotel in an unforgettable setting.

Date of stay: July 2020
1  Thank ArchibalddBurke
Management response:Responded 17 July 2020

Dear ArchibalddBurke.
Thank you so much for your great review! We are really happy that you spent a wonderful & relaxing time at our hotel.
We´d love to see you again :)
Have a good time & stay healthy

Reviewed 9 March 2020 via mobile

I highly recommend this hotel for couples and families. This privately owned hotel is managed by the third generation of Spielmann’s and they are very involved with their guests. No request is ignored
The location is again excellent for families with children learning to ski. And if skiing is not your thing then walks, biking or hiking, especially in summer are well catered for!
The hotel has most amenities that you expect in a deluxe hotel

Date of stay: March 2020
Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank koert t
Reviewed 2 February 2020

First visited in 1982...then, three years ago. Time to go back for a few days' 'winter walking', to find that the Spielmann family is still running an excellent hotel, BUT in the meantime have upgraded the spa facilities to a level exceptional for a hotel of this size, including an indoor/outdoor infinity pool at 25C! I did NOT expect to be able to swim outdoors in a blizzard at dusk!! If we had one minor criticism, it's that the often innovative dishes in the half-board evening meals occasionally miss the mark; sometimes simplicity's best. That said, I wouldn't go anywhere else for this sort of holiday break. Oh, and include a Sunday night for the Gala Dinner!

Room tip: We had the same 'Zugspitze' room as in 2017, looking across the valley to Lermoos, with superb views of the surrounding mountains
Date of stay: January 2020
3  Thank Stephen F
Spielmann6632, Inhaber at Romantik Hotel Spielmann, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2020

Dear Stephen.
Thank you so much for your 5 points review :). We are glad to read that you loved our "hotel upgrade" with infinity pool and SPA area. We will forward your minor criticism to our kitchen chef.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again - hopefully soon.
All the best
Martin Spielmann

p.s.: ...the infinity pool has a temperature of 30°C... :)