All reviewsbeef sausagemain buildingoutdoor poolnewly refurbished hotelkipperslovely hotelon arrivalsecret escapes dealcontinental buffetrestaurant staffcourse dinnerhigh standarddeluxe roompoached eggslounge areabottle of proseccono lift
Reviewed 12 August 2018 via mobile

A friend and I booked to stay here for our annual get-together. I arrived first at 11am and knew it was early but I always check to see if the room is ready to check in to. The response from the female member of staff wasn't particularly welcoming and so I headed off for a day in Matlock Bath. Not being able to check in early wasn't an issue but the service could have been better.

When we did check in we were given a room in the older wing. Alarm bells rang having read previous reviews. I have to concur with these reviews. My friend and I had booked a family suite but were given a pokey room which was slightly revamped but which reminded me of a Butlins holiday camp. We were on the lower floor and had a balcony which was, as someone else has described, a concrete slab. The pool was empty and our view was of a ramshackled building which was not pleasant. We were going to be charged £170 for this room. Having travelled fair bit I can honestly say this is massively inflated and to be honest feels a bit of a con.

The young guy on reception was as helpful as he could be but this was not the room we were sold. The dust was thick, the bathroom was old fashioned, the light wonky and I'm sorry, but a lick of paint doesn't make a place modern or luxurious. There was just one cushion on one bed and not the other, the toiletries were a bit mix and match like they hadn't been changed since the last guest and the mugs weren't clean and one still had water in and so I expect they had just been run under the tap.

So disappointed. We actually hadn't paid for the room as my friend booked on Expedia and so checked out without staying or paying thank goodness. We booked in to the Belfy Q (half an hour away) which was far friendly and nicer.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

We had our wedding here yesterday and it was a perfect day! Thank you so much to James and the rest of the staff for giving us the best day possible! Nothing was too much trouble and it was the most relaxing day I would totally recommend here for a wedding

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

The hotel is very nicely decorated and we found the room small but pleasent. There are a few issue that need to be brought to the managements attention. First all of the buffet breakfast food ie salmon, cheese's, breads etc need to be covered over with clear perspexed food covers ... one the first day at breakfast I saw flies on the food and every other day I mentioned this to one of the girls who was helpful and brought some cling film however; only covered the salmon and this wasnt followed through the next day. There was no welcome pack with the times of breakfasf etc in the room.. and no shelf in shower to place tolietries on. The reception staff were very helpful as was all other staff. Its a nice hotel just need a few tweeks that get noticed. Solar lights in the garden would be a good idea too. All in all a pleasent stay.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2018 via mobile

I’ve never stayed in a hotel in the UK that refused to serve a traditional UK breakfast because of the owners beliefs. I was not made aware of this at booking or check in and given the low quality room and security issues over non closing windows, poor cleaning and over priced food I am surprised at how we are dictated to as to what we are allowed to eat in their hotel. It’s freedom of choice unless you stay here

Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 August 2018

Excited to be staying in this lovely big old hotel but were a bit surprised to find out our room was in a weird 1960s annex round the back. The room was very airy, clean and quiet and had a little balcony. It overlooked a pool that seemed to be disused and overgrown. Staff was all very friendly and when we notified them that there were no toiletries in our room they rectified it within minutes. Breakfast was an odd affair, a large buffet of cold items like salmon, cheese and fruit. Lots of nice breads to toast but no other hot items. We were asked if we would like to order a hot entree and our choices were eggs or porridge, neither of which I particularly like. Being that we were recovering from the amazing Matlock Bath Pirate Festival, we could have really used a proper breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple