The Red Lion(Coleshill)
US$63
Coleshill Hotel(Coleshill)
The Old Barn(Coleshill)
  • Free Internet
All reviewscrown carveryexcellent value for moneysunday carveryflights of stairsfamily roomhash brownsenglish breakfastplenty of parkingstayed for one nightsalmonarena
Reviewed 27 February 2017

The accommodation is a little tired looking but I understand it is about to be refurbished. Having said that, for the money,(£70 for 2 people for 2 nights) one could not fault it. The room and ensuite were very clean and had everything you needed. It is in a good central position in Coleshill & convenient for the NEC as well. The breakfasts were great. We just had the continental (which was free) a full english was only £4.29). Did not have an evening meal this time (as was visiting family) but have before and, again, very good value for money. No problem parking. Would recommend.

Room Tip: There are a lot of stairs so be sure to advise if you have any difficulty with this
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2017

Excellent, the location. Near the NEC where I was working. Ten mins and I was there. Good, the large car park at the rear, parking is not a problem. Good, the value of the carvery although food could be better presented and changed more often because no one likes to take the last two cold roast spuds. Good to fair describes the bar staff although "who is next" goes right out of the window if a regular approaches the bar. A frown by the customer waiting (me) has no effect.

Good the size of the room and the comfort of the bed. Good the supply of coffee and tea in the room. Good the buffet breakfast (basic as advertised) the Croissants were the best. Up to now could not be happier.

Now not so good. The walls in the room are thin and if like me you have someone snoring loudly next door all night forget sleeping. Next is the fact that you cannot put food and drinks on your bill using a room number. It means you have to hand in lots of receipts into accounts if like me it was a business trip. Normally I hand in one.

Now the diabolical. Internet! Free wifi is advertised and the MAIN reason why I booked. I knew I would have emails from contacts made at the NEC to deal with promptly. After signing up with O2 the internet provider, giving your phone number, age, email address, shoe size and how many times you get to the gym they will connect you. After that forget it. The connection (if you can connect) is too slow to catch a cold and get used to "no internet" when you do connect.

Someone like me flying in with no UK data package is stuffed. I was up at 4am to connect and do my important emails. On that last night even that did not work, I had no internet all night. You would think that because the O2 service is so bad they would offer an alternative good paid for connection. But no, the staff just said O2 or nothing. Very frustrating and ruined my stay completely.

Because of O2 and the internet connection I will never use the Swan again which is a real pity because apart from the internet it served its purpose. I have added O2 as a spammer in my email filters so I never have anything to do with them again.

Room Tip: No lift so with heavy cases ask for the nearest room.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 February 2017

We booked this place on a whim but after reading the reviews we booked in with trepidation. We paid £43.50 for both of us which included a full English buffet breakfast. Our room was lovely, clean and had everything we needed, tv, kettle, drinks, hairdryer, soap and shower gel, you could even ask for toothpaste etc. if you had forgotten them. We had a double bedded room with an en suite shower room which was also very clean and fully tiled and the shower was really good. We did eat there that evening as we had had a long journey, I am not sure what people expect for £4.69 for a carvery, I had beef and gammon both nicely cooked, the veg looked a bit dried up but if you gave it a good stir it was ok. The meal was hot, edible and filled a gap. The breakfast was really good as you could have whatever you wanted, in fact we watched the guy on the next table have 4 sausages, baked beans, 3 eggs, hash browns, tomatoes and 5 slices of toast and jam. I found the staff to be a mixture, the guy who checked us in was really helpful as was the girl who welcomed us to breakfast, the chef although his cooking was standard did as little as possible and didn't listen to requests e.g. hubby asked for 2 eggs and got 1, the barmaid although appeared to be working on her own was quite surly, On the whole it was a good bargain for a one night stay. The pub itself is quite old and obviously in need of work tlc but it didn't affect us.

Room Tip: if you are disabled there is one room on the ground floor, we had a room on the first floor
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2017

I have been to the Swan several times and had a nice meal However, after visiting today I will not return. The food was all dried up so I asked for fresh food to be served. The Chef replaced the food on show but what he bought out wasn't even cooked. I could not eat the meal and asked for a refund. I certainly will not be eating there again.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 January 2017 via mobile

Great place to stay if visiting the NEC. It's a 10 minute drive away. We stayed in a family room, tv, tea/coffee etc. Very adequate room and great value for money. The staff were very helpful in the restaurant and we couldn't believe how cheap the meals were on the menu. The breakfast is continental or hot, both were very good. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family