The Red Lion(Coleshill)
US$106
Priceline
US$63
US$85
No availability for your dates from these sites
All reviewscrown carveryexcellent value for moneysunday carveryflights of stairsfamily roomhash brownsenglish breakfastplenty of parkingstayed for one nightsalmonarena
Reviewed 8 March 2017

I am used to eating Crown carveries going regularly to Radford Bank in Stafford and Mill Farm in Cannock.
The Swan has not been updated like the other pubs and it's a little tired especially the toilets in the restaurant bar area.
The young bar man hadn't got a clue. We asked him the difference between the three different carveries and he couldn't tell us and wasn't bothered to find out although another member of staff came behind the bar they didn't help with the forming queue and he didn't ask him about the different carveries so we never found out.I guess 50p is the answer the difference in price.
Also asked if they had a drinks menu which they don't. Had they any Prosecco especially in the smaller bottles he didn't know and again didn't bother to find out.
The Carvery is not bad value for money. About £4 for a small one and the meat and veg were edible for the money.
Had a lovely Baileys sweet and really enjoyed it.
All in all you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 March 2017 via mobile

I booked into Innkeeper Lodge therein lies the first issue....its actually called the Swan so drove passed it twice! The bar area doesnt smell pleasant when you're booking in late with the children either. Stayed in room 209 which was up 4 different flights of stairs thankfully both children were up for the challenge. Room was small for 4 people but for an overnighter was just fine. Chuffed that they had left lots of milk with the tea & coffee facilities. Bathrooms need updating badly but there was hot water, plenty of tissues and toilet paper. My own O2 signal was good and didn't even bother ask about the hotel wifi; it a really old rabbit warren of a building so I'm guessing it'd struggle. Continental Breakfast was included and surprisingly good for what we paid and I couldn't have asked for more. Overall, for what I paid and as a stop over, I was content.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 March 2017

The room was shabby, the sheets did not fit, the heater was hanging at an angle, the shower rail was rusty, the tiles and grout were mouldy, the loo flush was broken, the walls were paper thin. The seat was marked, the bed cushion was grubby. The breakfast was the worst I have ever experienced. Only good point was the pleasant staff.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2017

The accommodation is a little tired looking but I understand it is about to be refurbished. Having said that, for the money,(£70 for 2 people for 2 nights) one could not fault it. The room and ensuite were very clean and had everything you needed. It is in a good central position in Coleshill & convenient for the NEC as well. The breakfasts were great. We just had the continental (which was free) a full english was only £4.29). Did not have an evening meal this time (as was visiting family) but have before and, again, very good value for money. No problem parking. Would recommend.

Room Tip: There are a lot of stairs so be sure to advise if you have any difficulty with this
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2017

Excellent, the location. Near the NEC where I was working. Ten mins and I was there. Good, the large car park at the rear, parking is not a problem. Good, the value of the carvery although food could be better presented and changed more often because no one likes to take the last two cold roast spuds. Good to fair describes the bar staff although "who is next" goes right out of the window if a regular approaches the bar. A frown by the customer waiting (me) has no effect.

Good the size of the room and the comfort of the bed. Good the supply of coffee and tea in the room. Good the buffet breakfast (basic as advertised) the Croissants were the best. Up to now could not be happier.

Now not so good. The walls in the room are thin and if like me you have someone snoring loudly next door all night forget sleeping. Next is the fact that you cannot put food and drinks on your bill using a room number. It means you have to hand in lots of receipts into accounts if like me it was a business trip. Normally I hand in one.

Now the diabolical. Internet! Free wifi is advertised and the MAIN reason why I booked. I knew I would have emails from contacts made at the NEC to deal with promptly. After signing up with O2 the internet provider, giving your phone number, age, email address, shoe size and how many times you get to the gym they will connect you. After that forget it. The connection (if you can connect) is too slow to catch a cold and get used to "no internet" when you do connect.

Someone like me flying in with no UK data package is stuffed. I was up at 4am to connect and do my important emails. On that last night even that did not work, I had no internet all night. You would think that because the O2 service is so bad they would offer an alternative good paid for connection. But no, the staff just said O2 or nothing. Very frustrating and ruined my stay completely.

Because of O2 and the internet connection I will never use the Swan again which is a real pity because apart from the internet it served its purpose. I have added O2 as a spammer in my email filters so I never have anything to do with them again.

Room Tip: No lift so with heavy cases ask for the nearest room.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled on business