“Brilliant place for great beer and food”
Review of Eagle Barge Inn

Eagle Barge Inn
Ranked #4 of 11 Restaurants in Spean Bridge
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: You will also find The Eagle Barge Inn on http://www.fortaugustus.org/invergarry/foodanddrink.php
Reviewed 9 September 2017 via mobile

We are walking the Great Glen Way and had just completed a 16.6 mile section so when we saw the barge we called in for a welcome drink and the dark ale was fantastic. The place is fantastic (can't understand some of the bad reviews) and Victoria who runs the bar is so lovely and courteous to every customer.

You need to book if you want to eat at the tables but can have bar snacks without booking. Even though we had had a long day we walked the couple of miles there and back from Great Glen Hostel.

We had more of the great beer and Chilli Con Carne with rice for our evening meal and it's was very good.

If you like quirky places with great atmosphere and friendly staff don't miss the barge when passing.

Just a tip if you are staying at the hostel don't walk along the road it's dangerous go along the canal path.

Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

We have always meant to stop and have a look so on 31st of August we thought we would give it a try.
My son ordered soup and sandwiches. Soup was terrible (was like a bad pasta sauce in a bowl) sandwich was tuna(just tuna nowt else).
I had chilli (terrible cold in the middle) no flavour. Served also with microwaved roll.
My wife wanted tuna sandwiches but when she asked what was with the tuna the young assistant answered it says on menu Tuna. Was not even prepared to add some mayo. So she settled for a fruit scone. 3 tins of juice. Total bill was over £20.
We were only people in and service was dreadful.
Never be back.

1  Thank Jim M
Will B, Manager at Eagle Barge Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2017

Hi there.
Sorry you didn't have a good visit. Ill tey and cover the issues raised. Firstly I wonder if you raised any concerns while you were here? Because I would definitely have tried to fix any issyes you had, and not charged you. But it would appear this wasnt the case and instead you popped it on here when nothing can actually be done to help you!!
The soup does indeed sell a few gallons a day, without any issue so I guess its just not your kind of soup.
The tuna sandwich is indeed a tuna sandwich. We don't add mayo unless asked as not everyone likes tunamayo, but again if we were asked to add mayo "at the time" I would have. However I dont believe you asked so I dont think that was our fault.
Also your bill was £20.10p
For chilli, sandwiches, scones, and drinks. The prices were also on the menu so I dont understand why your supprised at a price when you can see it!
Have a great day

Reviewed 1 September 2017

after a busy day walking this was a perfect place to stop for a drink - restaurant fully booked and bar very busy but thankyou to the friendly kayakers who offered usl a seat.

Will B, Manager at Eagle Barge Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2017

Thankyou very much for your review. Thankyou also to the kayakers. Hope to see you again.

Reviewed 30 August 2017 via mobile

Nosdravia! We had a brilliant time on this ingenious, shabby little bar on a barge! The owners know how to show customers a good time!! Vicky was a little frosty at first but quickly warmed up and, along with her partner, hosted a fab night including quiz!! Food, for the price, was ok! Hot n crispy scampi n chips!! Great

Reviewed 27 August 2017

When I saw the leaflet about the "chef atomic sauce challenge", I should have guessed. A good place does not need such silly enternainement to attract customers. Neither does a genuine Chef...

We dropped by for lunch on a cold and rainy day on our cycling way. We were greeted sullenly by a young lady. No other customers were there.

We asked for the soup of the day as starter and some tea for two.
The tea was very very light : without any tea bags in it. Milk provided in sticks.
The soup was just awful : tinned tomatoes of cheap quality just taken out of the can (could feel the metallic taste of it), mixed, microwawed, topped with a tiny pinch of dried basil... and that's all !
The bread was served without any butter, the loaf as small as a todler's fist. Very soft and warm (just microwaved).

We did not ordered anything else to eat, it could have been worse.

Decoration and furnitures were the usual for this type of trap : loads of useless stuffs piled up everywhere such as various types of swords, toys etc. usual wooden panels displaying knots or the average local wreckage story etc. etc.

Music was good, heat was on which were the only positive points.

I guess that some customers and tourists might find this place quite exotic and typical. We just find it a pretentious and deceptive cheap place.

Er... cheap is not the right word when you pay £11 for such grub.

Will B, Manager at Eagle Barge Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2017

Hi There.
Well I know my response wont please you, but by the sound of it thats not really possible!
So first point id like to ask is if you raised any concerns with staff while you were there, before writing a review? Im gonna guess not.
So lets cover your points you raised.
Firstly a genuine chef. Yep after 15 years of cooking and working in multiple 5 star resturants, im happy to say I am indeed a chef. That covers that.

Next point. Tea. Well tea isnt in pots its made by the cup. We remove the bag as we think it inappropriate to make you make your own tea. If you required it stronger you only needed to have asked. That covers that.

Soup. "Tinned tomatoes of cheap quality". Well thats a complete guess and also wrong. I get very good tomatoes that cost more and folk like it more (not everyone it seems). Its made daily. And it actually has multiple ingredients. But sadly it isnt heinze soup that gets folks addicted to sugar and chemicals. I prefer to make "real" soup. And a roll is a roll. I didnt realise an entire loaf of bead was prefered. But you were welcome to another role, again if you asked. That covers that.

Our displays. Well the knots were hand made by a great man and friend of the family as his final present before he passed away. So thanks for insulting that. The toys are for children to play with, which I didn't realise was a bad thing. The wreckage you speak of was a ship where multiple people lost their lives, so to raise money for their families, parts of the wreckage was turned into furniture which we bought to help them. So thanks for insulting that.

So all in you could have said your problems. I would have apologised and tried my best to fix them, and charged nothing. But instead you wrote a very disrespectful report on something it seems you didn't take any time to actually take in.
Have a wonderful day.
P.S we dont even have a microwave
....... so that covers that