Estalagem Alcino
  • Breakfast included
All reviewschapada diamantinathe ownernational parkbreakfasttownvalehike
Reviewed 5 May 2013

If you come to the wonderful and peaceful village of Lencois, Alcino's is the ideal place to stay- The location is perfect, near to the centre yet quiet and it is reasonably priced. Our bedroom looked out onto the garden and was perfectly adequate. The piece de resistance at Alcino's is the gastronomic breakfast that he supervises with creativity and justified pride. The breakfast is famous throughout the area and attracts a diverse crowd of locals, friends and tourists. It is the place to meet and become befriended by the inhabitants of Lencois. And if you need a guide to help you discover the wonderful cascades in the area, Alcino will put you in touch with Rony and soon you will know everybody in the village!.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2013

This is really the best place in Lencois - the location is perfect, half the price of the overpriced Casa de Aguas across the street; amazing morning meal that will redefine breakfast for you, and; and the sweetest folks who will help you with your travels/etc.
A word on tours/guides - we found 1 trip that was all-day and took us to Poco Diablo (waterfall swim), an underground cave, awesome authentic lunch w a local familiy, Pratchina snorkeling/swimming and blue cave, plus a hike up to the postcard view, all for about $70 CDA per person. That was reallly the only trip we needed in our 3 day stay, because there is a great swimming hole in town you can walk to in 20mins, and another cool one just an hour's hike (with a natural waterslide and coconut water en route). Unless you know for sure Fumaca has some water, and it's not super sunny, I wouldn't bother, from what I heard of the trip/hike.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Reviews say the breakfasts are the reason to stay at Alcino's but there are other reasons as well. The colonial building is Alcino's family home and reflects his lovely art work. We had an upstairs room with a private bath which was well appointed and very clean. The gardens are filled with fruit bearing trees, flowers, colorful tile work, hammocks and pet tortoises.
Breakfast is served at a large community table in the garden. Fresh squeezed juices, numerous baked items, eggs, creative grains (hot and cold), fruit and fresh coffee are served endlessly. No need for lunch after this hardy meal.
The location is a short walk into the town center, close to restaurants, bars, and travel agencies. The bus station is not far and can be walked to with luggage. Tough on the main road the pousada was very quiet. Alcino has established a very nice place to stay while visiting the area.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 February 2013

This is truly a special place that not too many people seem to know about when they arrive in Lencois, despite it's location on the main road not far the Canto Das Aguas hotel. Perhaps, its because Alcino only accepts reservations over the phone. When you stay at Alcino Estalagem, you are really staying with the artist Alcino and his family. I booked one of the eight rooms as a single with a detached bathroom, but my room had a large double bed and a smaller twin bed just beside it. I was also given a fresh bar of Nivea soap and a bathrobe for use in one of the two bathrooms across the hall. My room was also filled with unique,artistic touches such as the unusual artwork on the wall or clothes hangers hanging from the ceiling that you had to pull down with a long wooden pole attached at the base of the hanger. I had never seen anything like them.

The house is a joy to explore, as there is lots of unique artwork around every corner, several hammocks around the place and lots of books to peruse in multiple languages. It really feels like a place created to ensure that you can relax while you enjoy the beauty of the Chapada Diamantina.

Everything you've heard about the breakfast is true! It is definitely one of the top three breakfasts that I've ever had in my life - served in multiple courses and with a great variety of dishes. Just take your time accepting that this breakfast has actually just happened to you and come back to it every morning, if you are lucky enough to stay for several days in this artistic gem of a house. Thank you, Alcino!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Beccaroundtheworld
Reviewed 7 November 2012

If you plan to visit the Chapada Diamantina in the state of Bahia - Brazil, you have to stay at this place. It has everything you could possible need for a peaceful vacation and much more.
Let me tell you how I chose it. I did a quick search on internet. I found a list of places in Lencois.
This B&B was advertised as the place with the best breakfast in the area. I love nice breakfasts when I travel because they give me the energy for the rest of the day and they put me in a good mood. At first I thought it was just an ad like many others, but this one is true.
Well, let me tell you: I have never had such a spectacular, reach, beautifully presented breakfast not only in my trips, but in my entire life.
Everything freshly made and presented in a superb way by "dona Flor", the responsible for the place when the owner is not around which serves you personally. Not only the quantity of food, but the quality and everything served with fine china.
No wonder when the local tour guides told me that, when they have a birthday celebration coming, they book the place for breakfast even if they do not stay at the B&B.
The rooms than are so cozy that it looks like you are at home.
It is a place of peace and you can even enjoy the Atelier with pieces of ceramics made and painted by the owner.
The pictures on the site http://www.alcinoestalagem.com do not give justice to the place.
I am kind of demanding when it comes to place to stay, but here I loved everything I saw, ate and did. Parabéns!
When you are visiting the Chapada, do not miss the ‘Poço Azul’ and ‘o buracão’. Of course you have to go to see sunset on the top of 'morro do pai Inácio'

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo