All reviews family room low tide stone town comfortable rooms pool area two nights recommend this place jambiani beach fausto ocean zanzibar internet trips paradise waves sand safari
Reviewed 9 January 2018 via mobile

I seldom, or never, give bad reviews, but I am forced to note down the downsides of my stay here (which lasted for 10 days). We ended up finding it incredibly basic, considering the cost.

The team is amazing, always nice and smiley, ready to help. They even allowed us a late check out due to flight schedules. The place is very pretty, just by the sea. These were the things that kept me from giving a lower rating.

Let's start with the good:
The staff were amazingly nice. They made our stay so much better!
The food is good, but it takes a while.
The place is very pretty, with lovely gardens and great variety in plants. The pool is set nicely in-between gardens and with view of the sea.
The beach is lovely, you'll be attended by someone with drinks so you can relax just there watching the waves.
The bar is also really nice with really nice drinks, except for the natural juices (mostly water and sugar).

And finish with the bad:
No espresso coffee. Almost a sin, considering the manager/owner (not sure) is Italian.
The breakfast is straight up poor. No cheese or ham or even butter, no cereals, no bacon, no yogurt. There is close to no variety. And after 3 days you are done with the breakfast.
The WiFi is horrible. It doesn't reach the suites and even if it did, it doesn't work half the time, being ever slow when it actually does. So if you have work or people to keep in touch with you'll suffer. In addition to this, it gets turned off few minutes before midnight.
Food takes far longer than it should to reach your table (unless it's a buffet). 45+ minutes to get your food, but it's similar throughout the beach.
Our toilet seat was broken and the flush didn't work properly. Water cuts happened more than twice while showering.
Power cuts also happened, but not as much.
The single beds were plasticy and hard, and heated up a lot. I slept on one and it was hard for me to feel comfortable. (But this is more about personal taste)
In one room, the fan didn't work properly (too slow) and with this weather it is vital you have one functioning normally all night.
Sand everywhere. A bowl of water by the door could easily fix the sandy floor inside your rooms.
The gels and shampoos given by the hotel aren't replaced. You'll have to go ask them or else you won't get any more. (And they're quite tiny)

Concluding, I believe these issues shouldn't exist, considering how much we payed. It's just too basic for how much it cost us. Unfortunately I do not recommend this place and I would not want to return.

I wish the staff the best, and I hope the management fixes whatever possible, so guests in the future can enjoy it more than I have.

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Michela C, Proprietario at Villa de Coco Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2018

Thank you very much for your review and your constructive criticisms, unfortunately most of them are not under our control as the power cuts, and accordingly water cuts (it’s government solution during the high season for the high use of the electricity energy) the signal of wi.fi too, because in the high season there are a lot of people in the island and when there are many people the signal is very low.
About the food is better always remember this is Zanzibar (Africa Island) and the most of the products are from other country (as ham, cheese and so on) so they are expensive and difficult to find, especially during the Christmas holiday.
All the best
Michela

Reviewed 9 January 2018

Hi

I arrived at Villa de coco 20th of December. At this time my friend Arild was already checked in at Villa de Coco. I arrived at night. When I woke up the morning after the view struck me as fantastic. It is really nothing you experience everyday. After a couple of days 4 more friends arrived (2 adults and 2 kids). We all had a very good stay at Villa de coco, but unfortunately we had to leave the 26th due to that we had not booked more days before we flew down.

So to the highlights:

1. The people: All the staff were extremely friendly with us, but I would like to specially highlight the service provided by MBarack Obama and Faustino who helped us during our entire stay. There was really nothing they could not help us with. I would really acknowledge these guys as friends of mine now and they would be the first I contact if I go to Zanzibar again. If you stay here, ask for mBarak and he will make your stay perfect :)

2. Bungalows: The bungalows are great, but if you are dependent on AC this is not there. It is a fan though, but it can be a little hot in the night. However, the rooms are nice and have good standards.

3. Cleaning: very good,

4. Location: location I really like. It is not the busiest part and that I really love.

5. The place: the place is great and really gives comfort and relaxation. NOthing like sitting in the sun and enjoying a good beer speaking with the crew at the place :)

6. Price: good.

So guys, thank you very much for the stay. Really hope I'm able to travel here again!

Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends

Thank you so much for your review, you are always welcome again!
Michela

Reviewed 23 October 2017 via mobile

Is a really nice place ! The people who work theyr are really fantastic !!! Everybody really friendly and kinde! I sow lot of opinion about the service! I love the place , the food was also ok , the room perfect ! The wether perfect ! Just recommend this place 100% we want to come back Pamela day !! Tanx soo much guys

Date of stay: June 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Michela C, Proprietario at Villa de Coco Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2017

Thank you very much!

Reviewed 23 August 2017

I recently stayed here with my husband and my daughter and her fiancée. As the hotel was busy we were only able to book 1 double room and 1 family room. My daughter had Room 4 the double - this was a smallish basic room with a fantastic view and the sound of the ocean. My husband and myself had room 10 the family room, this was in a separate house behind the pool - this room was very spacious having a front room plus a bedroom and large bathroom. This area of the hotel was very quiet and would be nice for a group of people to stay as it was very private.
We all could not say enough good things about the Villa! The rooms were spotless, the garden area and view of the ocean just the whole setting was beautiful. A few years ago we stayed at another hotel on Jambiani beach, but this was by far our favourite. The pool area was amazing and is open 24/7, the hotel is right on the beach it was virtually a few steps from the sun loungers, and bar area. The bar area was so inviting with fantastic drinks and ambience - lots of little areas to sit around and chat.
Then to top it off, every meal and I mean every meal was delicious!.... We tried pasta, pizza, hamburgers, salads it was all fresh and we ended up only eating here.
The staff were simply amazing, so welcoming, friendly eager to please and downright nice people!
We will be back!

Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

We selected Villa de Coco based on Trip Advisor reviews and it did not disappoint. The bungalow was simply furnished but clean and with a functional bathroom (plenty of hot water). There is a small pool adequate for young children and for cooling down and the beach is the ideal place to unwind whilst watching the tide go in and out - lovely white sand! The staff were extremely friendly and attentive and nothing was too much trouble. The menu was suitably varied for a stay of one week, and consisted of local dishes, including a variety of tasty fish and seafood dishes. The location is 5 minutes' drive from Paje beach, making it an ideal place to stay for keen kitesurfers. It is also next to Mbuzi Kite School, which suited us perfectly. Overall Villa de Coco was the ideal place to stay for us and we would definitely go back.

I have two recommendations from our trip: make sure you don't have any USD notes older than 2006- it gives you a reduced rate of exchange to TZS -; and negotiate your taxi price from Zanzibar airport to Jambiani/Paje once you arrive at the airport.

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple