“Dinner for family 5”

Ranked #1 of 20 Restaurants in Colonnella
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

Long time to wait for food - excellent food - good wines included - nice place and surroundings. We haden't prebooked - but got a table. Good english speaking and friendly staff.

Reviewed 21 August 2016

If you appreciate refined genuine regional Italian cuisine refined, impeccable service, and a glorious view, this is the place to spend four hours on a perfect sunny day.

The setting is exquisite. Al fresco dinning at a table with incredible, unobstructed views of hillsides of olive groves and vineyards leading to the hilltop town of Colonnella. This place is right in the middle of the farms.

The food is classic Abruzzese cuisine elevated to new levels and perfectly and lovingly presented. The bread basket was the most varied selection I've had in Abruzzo - everything from whole grains to polenta based. Wine came by the carafe - red and white from local wineries. Not being able to choose, we had all of the antipasti they offered. A platter of panzarotti, some stuffed with a sweet tomato filling, most not - were light, not greasy, and came with a few slices of fresh pecorino cheese. I am not a fan of fried foods, but these were irresistible. A faro and wild pea salad tossed with olive oil, tomatoes, celery, and sweet onion was simply divine. Bacala (a food I normally lift my nose to) was deliciously presented on a light tart shell filled with an onion custard and tomato confit. A platter of sliced salamis and prosciutto included a soft salami. An egg and cheese balls fried then enhanced with a sweet tomato sauce was gone in two bites. Chopped zucchini over a saffron mashed potato sauce completed the assemblage. So glad we had them all! For my primo, I had the timballo tradizionale Teramano - multiple layers of light, thin crepes filled with sauces, meatballs, and cheeses - amazingly, not filling in the least. Secondo was a goat stew, a dish that requires 48 hours to cook so tender I nearly did not need my knife. Dolce was an almond semifreddo sprinkled with finely chopped almond pieces and drizzled with chocolate, followed by coffee with complimentary tiny chocolate almond cookies. By the way, while thoroughly enjoying my selections, I drooled over everyone else's, so yes, I will be back and heartily recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank BrunoSam
Reviewed 15 June 2016 via mobile

My husband and I stumbled upon this restaurant late at night on our way across Italy and we found a gem! The owner was incredibly nice and the food was the best we've had in the northern part of Italy. The saffron sauce was our favorite...incredibly delicious! Even if this place is a bit out of your way it is completely worth it. We loved it. Great service, great food and great prices. For two of us with house wine and meals we paid around 35€.

Reviewed 27 April 2016

Have eaten here several times, in different seasons of the year. (Of course, in winter, we did not eat outside!) This restaurant offers authentic Abruzzo cuisine, such as roasted meats, deep fried stuffed olives, "fried cream" (crema frita) and delicious vegetables and desserts. And, of course, the wines! I have never had a bad meal there. The staff has always been helpful and professional. Expect this to be a leisurely dining experience. It can be very busy on the weekends. Do not try to go then without a reservation.

Reviewed 4 January 2016 via mobile

Great lunch with perfect service and very reasonable pricing! Will be back with the family next time!
The timballo and the meat was excellent. The restaurant was full with locals and is located beautifully!