We have been back to the cold for a little over a week and we MISS this house and staff. It was one of the most relaxing vacations ever. The home is beautiful, with plenty of outdoor seating. The bedroom closest to the ocean is heaven. Listening to the waves every night while going to sleep was amazing. My sound machine doesn't come close! Polly and Petegay were the staff at the house and their cooking was superb. There wasn't a thing we didn't like. Ate it all! For extra activities, we went for boat rides with Kevin (Polly's husband) and they were affordable and fun. Bring a cooler full of Red Stripe and you are set! We saw a family of dolphins which was a highlight. They were so close to the boat, we could almost touch them.
We were a bit confused about how meals worked and about Polly and Petegay's role at the house as we have never had this type of rental before. Here are some pointers.
1. Have Annabelle (owner) set up the ride from Montego Bay to the house. It is about 3 hours and Pete, our driver met us at the airport. It was convenient and safe. I would not recommend driving on the roads if it is your first time in Jamaica. Roads are windy and directions aren't super clear. You don't need a car at Lyric. Polly can set up any activities you want to do. Kevin on water (snorkeling, Pelican Bar, Black River) or Pete for land (rum factory and YS falls).
2. Polly and Petegay provide 2 meals each day, generally breakfast and dinner but you can choose breakfast and lunch too. Any preferences or allergies can be communicated to Annabelle prior to arrival.
3. Polly and Petegay can have the day off if you give it to them! We learned this too late in our vacation to give them a full day off but if we had known earlier, we would certainly have worked something out. They work so, so hard. Tip them well!
4. We packed all our own liquor. Wine is very expensive in Jamaica so we each brought a few bottles of red. But rum and Red Stripe are plentiful so no worries there. There is even a convenience store at the end of your driveway.
5. For the entire week for 3 of us, our food bill was ~$250. This could vary significantly but I only include it so you have a clue about how much it is. That included lobster a few times! It was worth every penny and then some. They take cash only for this and you cannot PayPal Annabelle the balance. This is payable directly to Polly. There is a cash machine at Jack Sprats but we didn't use it.
6. Bring bug spray. Mosquitos were not friendly and with all the rain, they were out in force.
All in all, it was such a relaxing and wonderful vacation. Will stay here again in a heartbeat! Thanks to Annabelle, Polly, Petegay, Kevin, Nigel, Pete, Fray and all those that made our trip wonderful.
This place is amazing. Great service. Staff was not friendly, it would have been nice but we didn't care because everything else was great.
Was recommended to stay at this villa for a quick weekend while I was in Jamaica. Villa was really nice and peacefully. Open and airy with it being on the beach what more could you ask for. My sister actually got married at the property which was super romantic too. Everything was nice. Just be advised that there are no tv's and no ac, ceiling fans only. Wifi worked perfectly so the guys just watched there soccer game on our tablet. At night we played board games. My only con is that everything is itemized per meal. I mean everything from the salt and pepper to the seasonings used in your meal to cook with that you know is already in the cabinet from the previous guest. I think the villa should offer you the option to cook for yourself. Definitely would recommend getting your own groceries to avoid any issues with the hand written receipts that will have you second guessing what your really paying for.
Other than that, no complaints. Staff was great and Annabelle was a delight also to meet.. would recommend to other couples.
Our first stay at Lyric was in 2003 and we have been lucky enough to stay there many times since.
We love Lyric for many reasons, but if we had to pick 1 reason why we return our answer would be POLLY! Polly is awesome and has become a great friend. She is friendly, warm, a wealth of local information, and a fabulous cook! Our favorites: ackee & saltfish for breakfast, curried goat and garlic lobster for dinner, and chocolate cream pie and coconut pudding pie for dessert! Everything is so delicious! Weather permitting, breakfast and lunch are served outside.
Working with Polly is Petagaye, a new addition to Lyric who brings great smiles and laughter. The two make a good team and not only did they keep us well fed, they kept up the house which meant I did not have to make a bed or clean a bathroom all week!
Hanging out at Lyric is mesmerizing... it is almost impossible to tire of the view! Whether you are stretched out on a chaise lounge, floating in the pool, or sitting in the shaded outdoor living area all you see is the beautiful blue Caribbean sea. And the sunsets, Oh my!
The 3 main bedrooms are all comfortable, the master with en suite bath and the other 2 bedrooms sharing a hall bathroom, but the best place to bathe... the outdoor shower, while looking out to the sea! So relaxing!
The inside living area provides many books, games, and wireless internet. One evening we had torrential rain, so dinner was served inside. I dont think we spent much time inside, as the weather was pretty perfect while we were there.
The location is perect; easy walk to restaurants, sports park, women craft shop, and the little shop at end of driveway.
Lyric is perfect for couples, families, and groups of friends.
Many thanks to Annabelle and the Todd family for opening their home to travelers!
We were greeted by Polly and Panteneus ? ( Sorry) Most welcoming ! They had prepared a lovely chicken dinner as we arrived at 5 PM. The Villa is very well cared for, everything was in working order and we had no issues. The Owner, Annabelle stopped in the second day to check on us and any need we may have had. Most interesting person, wish she could have stayed longer. The location is THE BEST ! Flanked by beautiful flowers and trees, yet open to the Ocean with a view of the local fishing boats in the distance. The Layout cannot be beat. We were a group of 6 and had ample space to spread out, around the pool and grounds. Private and direct access to the beach. Screens on all bedroom windows and ceiling fans id needed. The Ocean Breezes were usually enough ! Well equipped Kitchen. Everyone was sad to leave this home ! The ladies are available to cook you Breakfast and Dinner, but we enjoy cooking our own meals and going out a bit too ! Jakes, a 3 minute walk to the left had a fantastic menu and service and Jack Sprats was good for something different. Gee Wiz was excellent !